I "NEED" a different stock !

onegunred

I have a Ruger American Predator in 223. Bought it 2 years ago to coyote hunt, have not done that yet. The green plastic stock is okay, BUT, having just 1 arm and trying to use a normal rifle stock in a bolt action is a bit difficult. I do much better with a lever. The wrist of the stock is too skinny and makes holding and trigger squeeze a bit of a pain. I think a A/R style grip may work, don't know for sure if it will. I also have a Howa 1500 Hogue in 270 and the grip on that rifle is too short and curvy. I might replace that stock with a Richards pistol grip but they do not offer a stock for the RA-Predator. Boyds does not offer a pistol grip and not too keen on thumb-hole stocks. Sooo, what are my options, dump rifle and get a BAR in 223 or a Henry Long Ranger in 223 these rifles are both in the $900.00 range, kinda steep for a 72 yr old on Soc Sec. I do not like A/Rs, tried holding my son's A/R and it is too heavy plus a semi auto in the hand of a one armed guy scares the crap out of some people, me included, if you get my drift. Does anyone have any suggestions ? Thanks Jerry

MDT makes a pretty lightweight chassis. You can have a nice pistol grip then. Only issue is with the rifle and mdt you could’ve just bought a used long ranger.

Check out the Magpul hunter for the RAP. Very nice stock and great fit. Fairly vertical grip as well. Way less expensive than MDT.

Just thinking out loud,could you use the MDT chassis and a rear stock like on an AR SBR? Supported by your fore-arm and a pistol grip.

Last edited:
Any and all support for the rifle has to be from my right arm or from a BOG POD or Caldwell rest. The Caldwell works great with a lever action but not too good with a bolt, the BOG POD does good with the bolt action.

What about the Boyd's thumb hole stock? Its light weight and the one I have is much more vertical than a hunting stock. Plus they look great and usually increase accuracy

Back