Has anybody else chrono'd factory Superformance?

Ghilliedup2

Specifically the 40gr vax 204 load? My chrono shows it almost 400 fps slower than the box. This is out of a 22" Venture that shoots it into bug holes. But I'm wondering if it's my chrono or its really that slow. I should also mention it shows my 243 hand load of 36.2 gr h4895 at 2925avg out of a 22" bbl which seems little slow as well

My chrono is showing the 40gr 204 load at 3536 avg, way slower than box listed. 60 degrees outside so that shouldn't have had much affect on it

Have you shot other brands of 40 gr factory ammo at the same chronograph session? Just wondering if the Superformance makes the 100-200 fps increase in your rifle.

A buddy says the 223, 53 gr load goes 3200+ in his 18" AR, so it's pretty close to advertised. My only other experience is my in-laws 7mm-08, with 139 gmx superformance it was blowing primers. Oh I guess I have some 30-30 ammo also, this was years ago but the first batch was stupid accurate, but 200 fps off. I didn't care about the speed so went and got another 100 rnds, yip different lot and it was up to speed but much less accurate.

Honestly, I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets, but I have no use for that superformance ammo.

I would guess that most ammo specs are for advertising purposes and not necessarily based in reality.
But, I doubt the targets can tell the difference.

I've been told, so don't shoot the messenger, that when the companies do these loads, its in a climate controlled room, actions in a vice, and its what ever the load shot that day. Your guess is as good as mine but I do know that the Superformance ammo in my 222 was way slower than what was on the box. The box says 3346 and I was in the low 3200's.

I shot some 22-250 once over a chrono, velocity was all over the place as advertised on the box and about 100 fps lower on one round fired, can't remember exact numbers it was a year ago.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogI've been told, so don't shoot the messenger, that when the companies do these loads, its in a climate controlled room, actions in a vice, and its what ever the load shot that day. Your guess is as good as mine but I do know that the Superformance ammo in my 222 was way slower than what was on the box. The box says 3346 and I was in the low 3200's.

Some manufacturers also chrono from a smooth bore test rig, not actual rifles.

Yeah I agree with everyone above, it was 367 fps slower if I recall, I'll have to chrono it again and also another box
It shoots incredibly well and I can get it for a good enough price that it's worth shooting factory ammo. IiRC I was 3537 fps avg which to me seemed very slow even in a 22" tube so I was really as much suspect of my chrono as the ammo..thanks for the replies

Does anyone look at the deviation with it too? We were shooting it with 223 and 22-250. Bolt and AR for the 223. Velocity wasn’t much higher then federal or HSM but HSM blue tip had a max deviation of about 5-10fps. HSM regular and Federal was 15-20. Superformance was nearly 70. That’s crazy! And that’s in each gun. The AR had 2 that went way higher than the others and we took them as errors. 150+ higher then the average

Last edited:
My experience with superformance is that regardless of whether handloads or box ammo the powder is super finicky with temperatures. Out of my .243 26 inch barrel I didn’t see FPS gains on the chrono until ambient temps were in the 60’s. Any colder than that and my experience is about par with everyone else around 150 FPS slower than data says. In my .223 also 26 inch it’s usually 50 FPS slow.

I do have a question to kind of piggy back here. This may be wishful thinking on my end. But I don’t notice my barrels heating up as quickly when shooting the superformance. Am I just dreaming of that to justify the price?

I can't say I've noticed my 204 heating up but i never shoot more than 3 shots at a time. As for price, it's the cheapest ammo I can find locally LOL $18 a box I think?

Back