AR-15 Which 6mm?

MoYoBomber

Getting components together for a build. Wanting to go with a 6mm of some flavor to use on predators and deer.

Right now I am leaning towards the 6AR/243 LBC or whatever else you want to call it. I have also looked at the TAC 6 but having to trim so much in the beginning is a small turn off.

I would prefer to use bullets in the 55-80 grain range, 85 at the heaviest. Before you start telling me an 80-85 is too light for deer I have killed somewhere around 40 deer with an 85 grain Sierra Varminter in a 6mm Remington and 243 Winchester with zero issues.

Was thinking something like an 70 Ballistic Tip for predators and maybe an 80 grain Ballistic Tip as an all around bullet. Possibly an 80 grain Barnes TTSX for deer.

Any of the 6mm chamberings better suited for these lighter bullets?

I know it seems like a lot of chamberings are better set up for the longer heavier bullets that are all of the rage these days.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGSounds like a Dtech 6DTI is in your future. Can't go wrong with a Dtech Shilen barrel or upper.

Keep talking. You have my attention.

Using my Googler as we speak.

The 6X6.8 is a good choice for the light weight 90 grain or under bullets at magazine length. There is NO trimming or fire forming on a 6X6.8 case as done by Ritch. I routinely shoot 87's in mine.

The 243 LBC gives you a bit more flexibility and really shines with the 95 SMK but will shoot down to the 50's well too.

Greg

My choice was the lbc, and haven't regretted it. 87 vmax at 2900 fps is my bullet of choice and it's been largely fur friendly. I've got a stash of 85 gr Sierra bthp for if I want to shoot a deer with it but I probably won't as I have other stuff for that. All the Grendel and 6.8 based cats will get you about the same results and are really in the sweet spot for good trajectory, power, and great barrel life. One of mine has somewhere around 16-1800 rounds and the throat still looks good.

When I want a serious step up, I grab the 243 Wssm. Dtech makes these and they are a hammer. That same 87 vmax does 3250 out of my 22" barrel with Varget. There may be other powders that send it even faster but it was the first thing I tried and stayed very accurate out to at least 500 yards so I didn't mess with it any more.

6x6.8 or 6DTI are great choices. I'm running the DTI now and shot several deer with 70gr Nosler BT this year and they performed flawless. It's a great all around bullet for coyotes and deer.

dtech also does a 6mm hagar. since we have seen brass for it. I would look to see if that fits your needs. its got a couple grains of extra boiler room. I have no idea what their chamber specs are and if it suits what you want to do with it.

also the 6DTI is a simple neck down, there is no difference between fire formed and virgin brass loads. NO POI difference or speed difference in any loads I have checked. having the extra length of the hagar brass with 55 grain bullets would be very very cool.

You wont regret it. Mine shoots lights out with 55 gr noslers at 3600+ fps. I've shot coyotes out to 250 yards, and I just hold on fur and watch em fall.

I would call Ritch or GLshooter and talk to them they have some really good options. I have a 6x6.8 and it shoots amazing anything from 58-87 I have shot.

I talked with Ritch today for about 35 minutes about my 6x6.8 build. He was helping me get some loads worked out and giving me advise on what to do. Superb customer service I must say. He has literally told me in every email I’ve sent him to give him a call and told me to call him if I need anymore help at the end of the phone call as well. Whatever barrel you go with go with one of Ritch’s!

You can’t go wrong with a 6dti or 6x6.8. I went with a 22” upper from ritch late last summer and couldn’t be happier. 31grs of H322 pushing 55gr noslers at 3775 and 31.5grs of H322 pushing 58 vmaxs at 3825. I believe the tactical ordnance barrels really are fast or my chronograph is a liar. The Hornady dies make reloading simple.

One of these days I am going to have to try a wssm. Another one not mentioned, 6mm Hagar if I could get brass for it I think it’s better than either the dti or 6x6.8

I've been looking at the 240 Tomahawk a bit lately. It's basically a 6x6.8 AI, it has a 40 degree shoulder. You can ether take 6x6.8 and fire form it or take Hagar brass and do a single pass through a Tomahawk die and you have your cases.

Back