Range/Cleaning/Accuracy Questions

LUCKYDOG

How many rounds can I shoot through my 300 WSM's at the range before I can expect my groups to start getting bigger because my gun is dirty?

Do you guys bring cleaning kits to the range? If so how many rounds do you shoot before cleaning your barrel?

Thanks for any input.

Bryan

Depends on the barrel. I always clean after every outing irregardless of the number of rounds fired. Don't really know how many rounds a good match grade barrel will go before affecting accuracy. Have shot courses of fire with .308 and 30-06 requiring up to 204 rounds without cleaning and no loss of accuracy. Some of the PD shooters may get more than that???

Regards,
hm

Boy this will get things stirred up. I too clean after every range outing. But you will hear a lot of people that think otherwise.

I use to pack all my cleaning stuff to the range when I went. Not anymore. Like hm, mine get cleaned when I get home regardless how many rounds I shoot. Exception being a 22LR.I don't clean them that often.
As to how many rounds.....your rifle will have to answer that question for you.

I think switching ammo's and fatigue played the biggest part of my problem today. I would still like to hear from anyone who breaks in their barrels by cleaning after so many shots. Or anyone who cleans at the range on a regular basis.

Quote:Exception being a 22LR.I don't clean them that often.
For the small bores I use a length of string trimmer line, cut to length rather than a rod. One end cut sharp the other end pressed against a hot soldering iron to hold a patch which is threaded onto the line from sharp end.

I carry a shoe polish can in my cleaning gear when hunting with a pistol and rifle length pull through and some patches. Has come in handy when my partner lets his rifle slip off shooting sticks and stuffs the muzzle in the sand. Would be great to clear snow and even works on the .17's
smile.gif

33254032708_d3bcb2d204_z.jpg

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: DennyrBoy this will get things stirred up. I too clean after every range outing. But you will hear a lot of people that think otherwise.

They didn't buy my guns. When they start buying them I'll clean them the way they want me to.

I believe you should establish a base line for you firearms accuracy. When this starts to fall off if will give as least a clue to remedy the fall off in accuracy. As you stated other factors can part of that problem plus all barrels are different. That is why I clean after every use.

Originally Posted By: hm1996Quote:Exception being a 22LR.I don't clean them that often.
For the small bores I use a length of string trimmer line, cut to length rather than a rod. One end cut sharp the other end pressed against a hot soldering iron to hold a patch which is threaded onto the line from sharp end.

I carry a shoe polish can in my cleaning gear when hunting with a pistol and rifle length pull through and some patches. Has come in handy when my partner lets his rifle slip off shooting sticks and stuffs the muzzle in the sand. Would be great to clear snow and even works on the .17's
smile.gif

[img:left]https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7822/33254032708_d3bcb2d204_z.jpg[/img

Regards,
hm
I learn something new everyday HM. This is a good idea, Thanks!

Bryan, I think that cleaning frequency will depend on the barrel quality, how smooth the bore micro finish is.

35 rounds of top end loads should have copper in the barrel, especially if you shoot the barrel hot.

I used to make an entire day at the range, then I took two cleaning rods, Dewey's, Pro Steel, Tipton, would de copper frequently depending how how bad a particular barrel copper fouled. Each barrel will need a particular cleaning regiment if you are trying for ultimate accuracy for load development.

Bryan, guys will vary greatly in what and how they clean rifles, and everyone's accuracy goals are different.

I would just hope that you do not let the fouling accumulate as the carbon can be a nightmare to get out when it is cooked on.

Last edited:
I have never noticed accuracy dropping off on big game rifles. I notice my 17 hornet goes about 140 rounds and then starts to open up a little bit.

I’ll use a fast 22 as an example, since they foul more than some others.

I clean every 50 rounds for the first few hundred, then every 30, then I may clean every 15 when the barrel is on its last leg.

I may not clean a 6.5 barrel 3 times over its life.

Short answer, it depends

Last edited:
I have learned it is easier to clean more often then not. My 22-243 got so dirty it took me forever to get it clean now no more then 20-25 rounds and I clean that gun. I got a bore scope so I know we’re im at. It had layers of carbon and Cooper was a nightmare to get clean so it’s just easier to clean I believe. I think part of my problem also was I thought I was getting it clean and wasn’t.

Back