Nice male red tonight

1trkyhntr

He was in the field when I got there. He spooked off but I brought him back in to Platinum Gray. Really nice fur and color on this one.
C9cVanN.jpg

That is a dang nice looking Red for this time of year from what I can tell in the picture. What bullet type and weight are you shooting Mike?

Originally Posted By: PrusonThat is a dang nice looking Red for this time of year from what I can tell in the picture. What bullet type and weight are you shooting Mike?

55gr Hornady Spire Point. Small exit on this fox, but it's not the perfect bullet. I shot a coyote tonight at maybe 60-70 yards, same bullet. I know that I hit it a little far back, I saw the impact through the thermal. It spun a couple of times then took off at full speed. I'm pretty sure that I hit it at least 1 more time but it still got away. It started raining about the time that I shot so the thermal really washed out. I can't say that it isn't laying dead somewhere in the field but I just could not see it.
I put 4 bullets in one about a week or so ago before it finally went down. I'm thinking about switching to Federal Fusion 63gr. I do worry about what it will do to foxes but I'm frustrated with all the coyote runners that I've had this year.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickNice fox ! I suggest going to a hollow point with whatever you choose. Seemed to help me.

I just recently switched from HP's because they were hard on the foxes.
I'm thinking about maybe having 1 magazine loaded with Spire Points for fox stands and another magazine with a heavier bullet for coyote stands. The only issue is finding a combination that hits reasonably close to the same POI.

Originally Posted By: 1trkyhntrOriginally Posted By: PrusonThat is a dang nice looking Red for this time of year from what I can tell in the picture. What bullet type and weight are you shooting Mike?

55gr Hornady Spire Point. Small exit on this fox, but it's not the perfect bullet. I shot a coyote tonight at maybe 60-70 yards, same bullet. I know that I hit it a little far back, I saw the impact through the thermal. It spun a couple of times then took off at full speed. I'm pretty sure that I hit it at least 1 more time but it still got away. It started raining about the time that I shot so the thermal really washed out. I can't say that it isn't laying dead somewhere in the field but I just could not see it.
I put 4 bullets in one about a week or so ago before it finally went down. I'm thinking about switching to Federal Fusion 63gr. I do worry about what it will do to foxes but I'm frustrated with all the coyote runners that I've had this year.
Congrats on more fur! you are having a good year based on all your postings. We had 3 runners Saturday night. My buddy was running a 223 suppressed, heard bullet impact and yelps on all 3 and couldn't find a one. I could smell one in a creek but couldn't locate it, been raining ever since and not been back to look.

Dang Mike, you are having a banner winter. I havenot been on here for a while & today I just keep seeing trkyhunter "killings"-congrats. Been nothing but rain or wind here the last few weeks & the nights it is decent we have had plans. & besides that I am getting a little disgusted, most of Jan I heard almost nothing & saw very little tracks in the snow---don't know what is up with that but it is disheartening.
Keep up the streak, Mike

Back