Hornady 17 cal 25 gr HP

Mike B

FWIW, Midway had em last nite for $13 and change/100 on closeout sale. As mentioned here before, it appears Hornady is doing away wth this bullet, so get em while you can. FWIW, Powder Valley, Natchez etc has em too yet. I got what I need for a while....wonder if Hornady is looking to bring something new out, or are they gonna stick us with custom makers only for "tough-enuf" 17 bullets??

A few years back, Hornady quit making them for quite a spell. Not the first time they've dried up. Plus varmint season is upon us and people have been stocking up I'd guess to avoid shortages like this every spring.

They're discontinued for good. Swfa called their rep and they told them that they're only going to offer the 25gr vmax apparently

Unfortunately I was only able to grab a handful of boxes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84
Unfortunately I was only able to grab a handful of boxes

Are you looking for more Hornady 17 cal 25gr HP bullets? If so, I know a place that still has some on the shelf.

Guess I'll be buying any Hornady's I find locally since I have two of these rifles to feed and don't want to run V-maxes. Went through this on the Berger 25gr. HP Target bullets and the first go round with the Hornady shortage. These guys are killing me
frown.gif

Looks like I'll have to finally order up some reeds to try. I have probably 800 of the 25gr Hornady so that will get me close to finishing off this barrel. In all honesty it's prob a lifetime for me. I've had it for several years and I have only shot about 15 prairie dogs and maybe another 100 rounds on paper.

A friend of mine who is also on here and I just bought a bunch and split them up. I should have enough to last me a long time. I am not against shooting a different bullet but when this bullet works so well and you get a load dialed in with it, I just don't want to start over.

to me it just makes no sense for hornady to drop production of this bullet. seems to be a very popular one. i like it very much too.

and the factory loaded stuff shoots fantastic for me. i hate to admit it, but i have not been able to load any as accurate as the factory loaded 25hp is.

I found a few yesterday and picked up two boxes for $5.53/each. They didn't know they were being discontinued. I already had four boxes on the shelf but it's such a good bullet I want to have a few laying around.

Greg

It really does seem to be the “Coyote fur” bullets that are the ones taking the big hit in 17 Caliber bullets. The Kindlers are gone, Hammett, Berger Match hp’s, now the Hornady hp’s. But the explosive varmint bullets are everywhere. Berger varmints, varmegedons, Vmax. It really is to bad

There are some good threads over on saubier about this.

Some kid named Montana Mize in Texas bought the old woodchuck den/kindler gold dies.
Goes by the screen name CT17 I believe on saubier. Doesn't seem very promising though.

There is also a thread over there with some 17 cal bullets that have been sectioned. The Noslers seem to have a thicker jacket towards the base. I would think those would be slightly tougher.

How are the Nosler HP Varmagedons on fur?

I am lucky in the sense I stockpiled some good Fur bullets over the last several years. I have about 1500 excellent Fur bullets left to last me. That should last me for what’s left of my 17 Tactical Barrel. And should take about 15 years to burn through them. Hopefully by them we’ll have more options or I’ll be to old to get them anyway. lol

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
I have yet to see any of the Nosler Varmageddon 25 grain HP. I have a few hundred in the 20 grain variety, but have not yet developed a real good load recipe for them.

Originally Posted By: emptymagThere are some good threads over on saubier about this.

Some kid named Montana Mize in Texas bought the old woodchuck den/kindler gold dies.
Goes by the screen name CT17 I believe on saubier. Doesn't seem very promising though.

There is also a thread over there with some 17 cal bullets that have been sectioned. The Noslers seem to have a thicker jacket towards the base. I would think those would be slightly tougher.

How are the Nosler HP Varmagedons on fur?

Do you have a link to the thread with the sectioned bullets by chance?

I've got about 1000 of them, at the rate I use them I should have enough for at least 10 years. I only use them for hunting coyotes with a few rounds every year to verify zero.
Rodents with 17's are vmax.

Originally Posted By: 6724I've got about 1000 of them, at the rate I use them I should have enough for at least 10 years. I only use them for hunting coyotes with a few rounds every year to verify zero.
Rodents with 17's are vmax.

I have a few boxes of them too. And you are right. The Vmax is a superior round for scattering critters than the 25 grain hollow point is. I shot a 90 yard prairie dog once with a 20 grain Vmax coming out of the muzzle of my .17 Remington at over 4400 fps. It was one of the most extreme animal disintegrations that I ever saw. I think pieces were still falling by the time I walked up to it.

I have killed a bunch of rodents with the 25 grain hollow point as well. They kill well but not quite as well as the Vmax. And we owe the critter a quick a death as possible. And going from a living and breathing creature to a pink mist in a nanosecond is about as quick as it gets.

Back