Dead Coyote

James Lieb

I called in a coyote and shot it with my .223 at 100 yds.After my wife took my picture with it I dragged over to the tall grass at the edge of the timber and left it there,now I haven't been able to call any thing else since.Just wandering if that was the wrong thing to do.The hide was no good with a big exit hole.

I doubt the dead coyote is the problem. Taking a guess here but it sounds like you are over calling a smallish area.

I have called and killed dozens of coyotes that come in and sniffed the dead and even whiz on them before I whack them.
In one case there was 15 dead carcasses when number 16 came in sniffing.
Now if you leave a bunch of human scent on or around them it will change the game.

I have a spot that has several dead coyotes within 50 yards of each other. I luckily seem to kill at least 1 coyote every year on that stand, sometimes more.

Originally Posted By: James LiebI called in a coyote and shot it with my .223 at 100 yds.After my wife took my picture with it I dragged over to the tall grass at the edge of the timber and left it there,now I haven't been able to call any thing else since.Just wandering if that was the wrong thing to do.The hide was no good with a big exit hole.

I am with the other guys, ONE dead coyote isn't going to drive off the others. I have shot plenty right over the carcasses of others.

You are too much into your own head. Just because you called in and killed one doesn't mean that you can just snap your fingers and they will automatically appear. I am successful about 1 in every 3 years and I have been doing this for a LONG time and there are still many guys on this forum that are better callers than I am. But ALL of us can have dry spells.

Spread out. If you are calling the same area over and over, you are burning it. I usually go at least a mile between stands. I usually call 10 stands before I call it a day, and that's before noon.

Don't feel bad about the coyote. Some states have better fur markets than others. Unless it's a really good pelt, I leave them. Our market is no good for them here. I drop them for population control. So chances are you are making other mistakes, it's not a case of bad juju.

Good luck and good hunting...

Back