pulsars and the cold

Cowboy43, I ASSumed the scope had the latest firmware based on my date of purchase. Im definitely going to have to verify.

Doubleup, it's the first issue. The scope will shoot true and then be off. I have to believe it's temperature related but haven't documented it. We do have crazy swings in weather so this might be the unspecific "seasonal" shift admitted by Pulsar.

I haven't scientifically documented it but know the poi will definitely move. It's been tricky because at times it stays true. I'm going to have to do a controlled test once I research and verify the firmware.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up, and hope you find it just needs a firmware update. Be sure to let us know how you get it resolved.

Little update, streamvision says my device has the most current filmware but it lists it as 3.1.29 on my device and I think it should be 3.0.23. I emailed Pulsar to get a concrete answer, waiting to hear back.

Went to the range and shot "warm" then "cold" groups at 1/2 hr and 1 hr increments in 3 degree temps. Results don't show any drastic poi shift. I did shoot off my nightstalker tripod which is very unsteady just to make it a true field condition test. All shots were definitely minute of coyote.

One factor a friend suggested was the mount. I was using the Pulsar quick detach that only engages one rung on the rail. It is not loose but maybe the one that came with the scope would be more resistant to the environment. I'm changing it just to rule that out.

If it has been poor shooting I will definitely own it but I know the poi has been shifting. I'm also going to try my bogpod tripod and bipod trigger sticks I felt alot more steady on them than the nightstalker and they aren't noisy either.

I took the week off to call coyotes and I'm going to if I have to duct tape this thing on my shotgun!

Last edited:
as for pusar xp 38 i built a turret on the roof of my jeep cherokee it mounts outside above the roof we drive around for 6-8 hours scanning from inside and watching on a verizon note pad attached to the dash for viewing monitor. so with the weather in southeast nebraska having been down to zero and the xp38 on the roof doing 35 -50 mph down the road the wind chill would be really cold and scanning for 6-8 hours no issues at all only for the coyotes! this system pans left right up down instantly since its controled by your hand directly and is removeable in 1-2 minutes makes multi purpose of the scope for cheap

Thanks a million to the member who pm'd me! Although some of the explanation was beyond my technical knowledge, my experience is very similar.

Bottom line, the poi moves. I have a request in for a refund.

Last edited:
Long time viewer of this forum but never joined cause I really didn't have much to offer. Only been coyote hunting for a couple years. Learned a lot from this forum.

Anyway, I registered so that I could add that I am also experiencing POI shift with my XQ30 that I purchased this summer. Gun was benched in a lead sled numerous times and POI shifted several inches at 100 yards from day to day. Seems to more elevation shift than windage. It has the latest firmware update. Gun is stored in the house when not hunting or shooting. Its either send it back now and season is over before I get a replacement or use it and hope my shots are close enough that the POI shift wont have me miss completely. I am gonna keep it till end of season. Please let me know how you make out with pulsar/sightmark.

Thanks. Always enjoy your videos.
I am using the qd mount. I guess I should try it with the fixed mount but the qd mount is really solid and I’ haven’t had any issues in the past with qd mounts. I guess I really don’t have anything to lose by giving it a chance on the fixed mount. Just a matter of finding time to get to the range again.

Toro thanks for sharing. Personally I wouldn't go through the trouble of changing mounts. I just did but had tested the QD before using and it was fine. I just dont think the mount is the issue and will just suck up more ammo.

I plan to keep everyone updated. My plan is to hunt a few more weeks, limiting range on shots and checking zero every night. If I feel it's just too unethical to use in the limited capacity I'll just send it off. It's pretty well wrecked my season anyways.

Just a little update, I've been out several times since my last post and my scope has held zero. Last night I was lazy and just excited to hunt so I didn't check it and missed one on first stand.. Then I checked and it had shifted significantly.

Still haven't heard anything from Pulsar as to whether my firmware is for sure the most current. I have a RA number to send it back for them to inspect.

On a positive note the people at Sellmark have been very responsive and helpful!

For those following my debacle I learned today my scope was officially labeled "defective" and is getting replaced.

Of course replacements are on backorder so it looks like the end to a very frustrating season.

At this point I have no faith in Pulsar equipment. I cringe to think of any military or law enforcement depending on their products.

P&Y sorry to here about your bad luck on your Pulsar. Let me know how you turn out. I have an Apex XQ50 that seems to be moving zero on extreme temperature change. Everyone says there is no issues on the Apex but I have seeing some since our cold snap has set in. I still want to more testing before I decide to sent back or not. It goes from 50 to -20 here so there is a big swing. Hope your exchanged model turns out better.

Thank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

I will probably sell the replacement ASAP ("fool me once.."). My only hesitation is selling it would make me feel shady, even if it is a new unit. I just would struggle selling crap to someone.

If I keep it I will definitely report back. Good luck with yours and please let us know how you turn out.

Originally Posted By: P&YThank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

I will probably sell the replacement ASAP ("fool me once.."). My only hesitation is selling it would make me feel shady, even if it is a new unit. I just would struggle selling crap to someone.

If I keep it I will definitely report back. Good luck with yours and please let us know how you turn out.

I am sorry to hear about your scope, but why sell the replacement? Pulsars are not junk. Every product that is manufactured has a certain % of defects. I am not just saying thermal scopes. I mean everything. That's what warranties are for. If you like the features and it works why not use it?

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: P&YThank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

I am sorry to hear about your scope, but why sell the replacement? Pulsars are not junk. Every product that is manufactured has a certain % of defects. I am not just saying thermal scopes. I mean everything. That's what warranties are for. If you like the features and it works why not use it? I completely agree. I have a friend that has sent his Mark II 35 mm Trijicon in 3 times now. Every time Trijicon fixes the unit and sends it back and something different has happened. But it's still an excellent thermal and he still continues to use it.

Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: P&YThank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

I am sorry to hear about your scope, but why sell the replacement? Pulsars are not junk. Every product that is manufactured has a certain % of defects. I am not just saying thermal scopes. I mean everything. That's what warranties are for. If you like the features and it works why not use it?

Thanks, Iowayotehunter. I understand there is a quality control factor for everything but Pulsar claimed to have remedied this KNOWN issue and gave me what they advertised as fixed. They also ignored emails I sent. In my book a reputable company doesn't do that and for sure wouldn't make me pay the $100 shipping to replace.

I don't trust the replacement will be fixed or the company. I didn't like most the features and the one I would have liked (streamvision) wouldn't work. To me that's crap and I don't feel I had very high expectations considering the cost. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Cowboy43Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: P&YThank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

I am sorry to hear about your scope, but why sell the replacement? Pulsars are not junk. Every product that is manufactured has a certain % of defects. I am not just saying thermal scopes. I mean everything. That's what warranties are for. If you like the features and it works why not use it? I completely agree. I have a friend that has sent his Mark II 35 mm Trijicon in 3 times now. Every time Trijicon fixes the unit and sends it back and something different has happened. But it's still an excellent thermal and he still continues to use it.

Cowboy, I am glad that constitutes excellence in your book. We all have different opinions and everyone's experiences are their own.

I suspect you may share my opinion of Pulsar if you had been in my shoes but maybe you would still feel they are good. Either way your definitely entitled to your opinion.

Originally Posted By: P&YOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43Originally Posted By: iowayotehunter76Originally Posted By: P&YThank you, sorry to hear you also have Pulsar issues.

Cowboy, I am glad that constitutes excellence in your book. We all have different opinions and everyone's experiences are their own.

I suspect you may share my opinion of Pulsar if you had been in my shoes but maybe you would still feel they are good. Either way your definitely entitled to your opinion. let me ask you this, what thermal would you purchase that has an impeccable history of not having a single failure?

Back