Reddish coyote down :)

fratri

Setup at first light. It was a little crunchy walking into the setup so I waited a few minutes for things to settle down before beginning the set.
I placed my ecaller and decoy about 50 yds out into the field about a 45 degree angle from my sitting location. I turned on my decoy and ecaller playing a quiet dying rabbit sound.
As I got comfortable and settled in, I screamed out with my hand calls (loud dying rabbit screams) for about 45 seconds...... waited a minute or so and did it again (screaming out a dying rabbit sound with my hand calls as loud as I could)..... then waited another minute and did the same thing.... but this time during my wait, a coyote is in the field and heading toward my decoy and that ecaller playing that quiet dying rabbit sound....
As she got directly across from me, I yelled out WOLF to her, she stopped to look at me. With her only being about 60 yds out, I settled the cross hairs on her and sent it on it's way. Upon impact, she did a couple of spins before falling over...
She turned out to be in pretty nice shape with a nice reddish coat... Skinning revealed a lot of fat, so she must have been eating well.

46136544965_f48b921fc7_z.jpg

32108554707_c7a7579335_z.jpg

32108553717_36708dbc50_z.jpg

47050301211_d57cc3c1f0_z.jpg

46998171472_5784f60e36_z.jpg

That is a very nice coloured coyote indeed!
Thank you for taking the time to show how everything unfolded.
I never got out today as I have to leave right away on a business trip and then meetings for the next 3 days. It was -32 with a -38 WC this morning but not able to get out and take advantage of the cold weather predator calling.

Originally Posted By: fratriShe turned out to be in pretty nice shape with a nice reddish coat I shoot 6-12 coyotes each year that look just like this coyote. My fur buyer will take them, but doesn't really like them. Some of the buyers don't want the red coyotes at all. My buyer makes mittens out of the red ones. Personally, I think they look nice and they usually have nice soft fur. I had the 2 nicest red ones from last year skinned, tanned and sold them to someone looking for some unique colored ones.

Back