Thermal Scanner and Red Light on Rifle

Deltagunner00

Anyone had any luck using a thermal scanner but still using a daytime scope with a rifle mounted red light for the kill shot?

I have a Helion XQ38 and night vision scope but none of my buddies do, so seeing if anyone has had success using thermal to scan and then red light once you're ready to take the shot?

The guy I hunt with has the thermal scanner and no night vision. Killed a double last week should have had a triple didn't see the 1 standing under the caller had it hanging in a tree by the woods moved it to the open after that and killed the double.

Ill Dog Chaser

It will work sometimes. Some coyotes will bolt when you hit them with the light, some will not. Some will just freeze for a few seconds and you hopefully can get the shot before they go. Very few in my neck of the woods ignore the light altogether as I see them do on TV.

Originally Posted By: weekenderIt will work sometimes. Some coyotes will bolt when you hit them with the light, some will not. Some will just freeze for a few seconds and you hopefully can get the shot before they go. Very few in my neck of the woods ignore the light altogether as I see them do on TV.

Same here! My buddy uses this set up, he gets a few.

I have the same situation & it's sometimes frustrating b/c I know we've had some not come in b/c of the light (b/c my friends are too impatient and will occasionally scan to see eyes). So, I've resorted to buying a back-up gun and NV and plan to let them use one...but am also asking them not to use lights anymore. I posted the same Q in the past on another forum and most said they'd take turns shooting w/ the NV (& without the lights), which I thought was the best idea (other than getting a back-up gun to let them use). Being in the East, I think lights cast too many shadows which seem to spook them. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: weekenderIt will work sometimes. Some coyotes will bolt when you hit them with the light, some will not. Some will just freeze for a few seconds and you hopefully can get the shot before they go. Very few in my neck of the woods ignore the light altogether as I see them do on TV.
I watch that night crew show. It amazes me how the yotes walk right into the white light.

RED LIGHT that is how many used to hunt coyotes just 5 years ago it worked well just not as good as no light (Night Vision).

The secret just don't have too bright of a light. Go back and read some of the old post about using a light.

Personally I used to hunt with a White Light for scanning and shooting.

I think the Night Crew guys pretty well defined their success in the most recent show using thermal and lights together. Keep in mind they are using the best thermal equipment which allows them to spot predators a long, long, way off. Rather than waiting for the predator to get close before hitting them with the powerful lights they use, they immediately bring the powerful lights to bear on the predator spotted by the thermal way out there, so there isn't that sudden shock of a bright light shining on them out of complete darkness.

Even in the east there are some places that allow the predator to be spotted way out there and conditioned to the light, but overall the fields are smaller and a lot more woods in the east which limits how far the predator can be spotted even with thermal and then conditioned to the light.

Bear in mind that light provides the hunter cover. The predators can see in the dark way better than we can so the light “camoflauges” us as the predator approaches.

A minimal amount of light with the majority passing over the predator should suffice. A spotter with thermal would be wise to keep the light operator apprised of the location of the predator so as to keep the light contrast sufficiently applied. One slip and you may well be busted!

Three44s

Back