Adjustable gas block or suppressed bolt carrier?

case-nh

Running 2 rifles suppressed. Have read a few negative things that can crop up with an adjustable gas block and they don't sound as convenient as the suppressed bolt carrier ( GemTech ). Wondering which you prefer or like or have compared. Asked this question over on the Suppressed forum but that gets a limited number of people looking at it.

I have both,

Each are on a different Colt "16" carbine AR15 with carbine length gas tubes. I have a lot of experience with the adjustable gas tube. And only 1 range trip with the Bootleg adjustable carrier. I bought the bootleg during Black Friday and got a great deal on the whole BCG. Or i likely would have went with the Gemtech.

My adjustable block is the adjustable screw with a set screw type from JP Enterprises. It is a set it and forget it design. That being said, it takes time to adjust and can be finicky. But when set, it cycles exactly how you want it to. I am a Coyote hunter and run Sierra 55gr HPBT's through mine with a stout load of H4895.

I have the gas turned down to just barely lock the bolt back suppressed. It shoots very soft!

The down side to this "setting" is that when you take the can off, it turns into a single shot rifle. It would take some tinkering to "re-tune" it. Some guys will set these up to just barely lock the bolt back with the can off. Then you are good to go in all phases. I set mine up to run suppressed only, and shoot very, very soft. (single purpose rifle)

The rotary adjustable styles could be handy for quick change from can off, to can on. If your rail does not hide the assembly?

The Bootleg has 4 adjustments and amazed me on how much it took the fight out of the gas system. Unfortunately i put the thing in the rifle midway through load development and got some mixed results. What i can say is this. I was firing 70 grains Speer bullets in this rifle loaded really hot to begin load work up. It cycled so violently i got scared that it was tearing up my rifle. This is what led to the purchase i suppose.

I had really good groups! I was pleased.

I ended up doing a full re test for verification of that load combo with the Bootleg. The rifle cycled excellent. Similar to my adjustable gas block rifle. Unbelievable really. I love the thing. Worked excellent!

Only problem is five, 5 shot groups that were all good before... Turned out to be all bad that time around. I have a new baby, work out of the country and unfortunately have not been able to go out and test this system some more after that day.

I have reloaded up 50 more. 2 x25. My plan was to shoot 25 with the Bootleg bolt BCG & 25 with the Colt BCG. Note: I have had loads that shot good the first day and gone back and they shot like [beeep]. This is kind of the way reloading goes sometimes though.

If the Bootleg BCG shoots no good again i will put my Colt bolt in the Bootleg carrier and try that. I am bound and determined to make this work.

I liked the idea of the Gemtech because it does not require a screw driver. This particular rifle with the adjustable carrier is my end of the world rifle. I do not want to remove the factory pinned gas block to add a finicky failure point. (to many screws that can come loose)

I can't recommend an adjustable BCG to you until i get to the bottom of the accuracy puzzle. (likely just reloading stuff)

Ironically I am going to the range tomorrow. I will shoot some factory rounds also to help solve the puzzle.

If i can make it out?

Stay tuned.

Thanks for the effort of taking the time to report this. Will stay tuned. Kind of wondered if they would change any accuracy. Wouldn't think so but never know. I have a GemTech ordered so I'll be able to try it in each rifle with a different can on each and each rifle is different to. One a factory stock Remington R-15 18" with a D740 NV scope on it and the other is a 18" rifle put together by Elliot Farro of Farro's Lead Farm. Army marksman who reloads ammunition commercially and makes rifles, etc. This rifle has a Pulsar Trail XP50 thermal scope on it. All I do is hunt coyotes at night as you might have gathered. Both rifles are very accurate.

I run an Anderson click adjustable gas block and have no complaints. I have a friend who runs the adjustable BCG. I see no real difference between the two. Both are going to let you adjust them to run suppressed/unsuppressed. It really comes down to a matter of convenience and preference. Maybe if you had a long hand guard and could not get to the block very easily I might go with the BCG.

I finally made it to the shooting range today.

I decided to go a different route for accuracy this time. I started the day with AR-COMP and Sierra 77gr MK's. Accuracy was excellent. That rules out the Bootleg bolt making the rifle less accurate.

Unfortunately i was having problems getting the thing to cycle. I tried 3 of the 4 settings. After a couple times of not getting the bolt to lock back, bolt bounce galor and then 2 cases of marred up brass i pulled the POS and put the original Colt BCG back in.

I only had limited time at the range and needed to test a lot of hand loads in several rifles.

Did not have time to trouble shoot and such.... As of right now it is on probation.

I wish i would have bought the Gemtech also.

I am using the Odin works adjustable gas blocks, not their tunable. They are easy to adjust from suppressed to unsuppressed if you know how many clicks. It is all done from the front of them. I have heard the adjustable BCG is temperamental and sometimes does not work.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchI finally made it to the shooting range today.

I decided to go a different route for accuracy this time. I started the day with AR-COMP and Sierra 77gr MK's. Accuracy was excellent. That rules out the Bootleg bolt making the rifle less accurate.

Unfortunately i was having problems getting the thing to cycle. I tried 3 of the 4 settings. After a couple times of not getting the bolt to lock back, bolt bounce galor and then 2 cases of marred up brass i pulled the POS and put the original Colt BCG back in.

I only had limited time at the range and needed to test a lot of hand loads in several rifles.

Did not have time to trouble shoot and such.... As of right now it is on probation.

I wish i would have bought the Gemtech also.

Good diagnostics. Thanks for the update.

I came here years ago to find out what can to buy.
I bought a Specwar and I run it on 8 or 9 guns.
308, 243, 6,8mm, 5,56mm, 22mag, 300BO. 7,62X39. all autos.
Most are AR's, one AK, a VZ58, and a CZ 805 Bren.
Like I was told, it just works. All have stock gas blocks.
Never had one problem.

With out of the country work and kids i still have not made it back to the range. And won't..... For quite some time.

I have been reading up on AR-COMP powder. Apparently, some folks feel it has less gas. Others have reported cycle issues with it when guns start out under gassed.

I love the stuff. It worked great suppressed with my Colt BCG.

Long story short, The Bootleg BCG may not be to blame for the bolt bounce and all the failures.

I will give the 77's a shot with that carrier and H4895.

Results to follow. It will be awhile. But i will dig this back up and finish off my thoughts on this.

For somebody down the road to see.

Bought the Bootleg. Works great. Complete BCG also. Less recoil and almost think it is quieter also. Going to get another for my other rifle. This one went on an 18" rifle with a rifle length gas system. Next one is going on another 18" but with mid length system. 2 thumbs on this. Shooting 55 grain Vmax out of bullets loaded by Farros Lead Farm to Superformance velocities.

Last edited:
Back