ATM THOR LT

gnarlypeople

Ok, I know ATN has very mixed reviews, but anyone have any experience with these optics or something similar. I don't want all the bells and whistles like recording and pictures. Just a decent entry level thermal for coyotes and coons.

You have described the Pulsar Apex line of scopes. The only catch is they have been discontinued by Pulsar. Another option would be the Pulsar Core RXQ30V. It was also discontinued this year, but is being reintroduced by Pulsar. This is entry level thermal and will be around 2K. This is not going to give you consistent IDing of animals at any great distance, but will give you decent quality out to about 150 yards. You will see them much further than this, but this is what you will have to wait until you can safely ID to shoot.

On top of this, I would highly recommend a thermal monocular. To me, this is more important than the scope as a person could use NV or other options for the scope. However, a thermal monocular provides the detection and is one of the most important aspects of nighttime hunting. Most thermal dealers do not carry ATN, due to a combination of quality and customer service issues. I wouldn't want to roll the dice on such a large investment personally.

Originally Posted By: gnarlypeopleI'll look into a monocular and probably stick with a light so when they get within range.any experience with the Leopold? yeah the leupold is disappointing. For now stick with the flir pts series or pulsar for the lower cost units. They are the bare minimum i would consider. Unless u can find an old ATN Thor with the Flir core.

Agree with Mr. Kirsch. Some pretty decent buys in the used market if you want to go that way and I think you can still find some of the Apex line around new. Trouble with the scanner is the excellent Hd/Xd 19a's which were the best value (IMO) are no longer around either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gnarlypeopleI'll look into a monocular and probably stick with a light so when they get within range.any experience with the Leopold? I have not used the Leupold Tracker personally but have been told on various sites it is good for finding wounded deer in close yardage. I haven't heard of anyone using it consistently as a coyote scanner and having good success with it. For a scanner you want to be able to see the heat source from a fairly long distance away. This is not the Leupold's strength. I would contact a dealer like Night Goggles or TNVC and have them work with you on a great monocular choice.

[/quote] yeah the leupold is disappointing. [/quote]

That is being very polite, and I am a Leupold fan. I borrowed one from a friend and it is almost completly useless, at least for coyote hunting.

Thanks for all the replies and good Intel. Probably just gonna stack up over time and hide the money in an offshore account so the wifey doesn't lose her lid when she finds out I dropped X amount on an optic and scanner. Bringing home a 45acp bout got me thrown out last year. Lol the flir does seem like the route I'll be taking. Probably be a spring or summer purchase once I can get my vacation money from the hall.

I'm a bit of an ATN fan, I have a NV scope and a thermal scanner from them and have had good luck, but I would steer clear of the new LT.. The sensor strength is stupidly poor. Their marketing strategy is "a bare bones thermal" as if all the extra features drive the price of thermals up, when in reality the thing that makes them so pricey is the core they run. I'm afraid theres gonna be a lot of unhappy people who dump 1200 bucks into one only to figure out they're pretty much worthless out past 100 yards

Back