Leo, Swaro, or NF?

Tgunz64

Looking for a higher end scope for my 22-250. I was thinking the NF SHV 4-14x50 and more recently the NF SHV 4-14x56 since I saw the 56mm is actually a pinch lighter. Don’t care if it’s first or second focal plane. But have also looked at the Swaro Z5 5-25x52 even though I don’t need that much zoom. And the Leo VX5 HD 3-15x56. Especially want low light performance which is the biggest plus. Right now I have a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40 and in low light not so great. I know all 3 scopes I’m considering are great quality so just seeing what you guys think or have experience with. Thanks!

Last edited:
Tgunz64,

I am going to post a youtube review of some scopes. It more or less explains where these things are made and some differences.

This guy made a 50 hour+ series on long range shooting called Sniper 101. You may consider watching that whole thing before you buy a fancy once in a life time scope.

Here is a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GIlwKUHAys&index=43&list=PLJUaiRIEduNVLB9RTPI1cemyZ20II5ei8

Another couple on Ziess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYNMVfg8z6w&index=52&list=PLJUaiRIEduNVLB9RTPI1cemyZ20II5ei8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5lI4rzDMPY&list=PLJUaiRIEduNVLB9RTPI1cemyZ20II5ei8&index=53

Thanks arlaunch. When I get to a place with internet I’ll watch a few of those. I currently don’t have it at home and limited data on my phone. But what are you getting at with these videos? Are they saying there’s other better or cheaper alternatives? So far I’ve been hearing lots of good on the Leo especially. I posted a similar thread on Long Range Hunting’s forum. Except I was just asking for comparison between the Leo and NF on there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: arlaunchScopes with Mil/Mil are a no go for me.

I went that route thinking i would learn it. Turns out MOA/MOA is easier for me to understand.

I am seriously considering this scope

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mountin...228-194732.aspx

That’s a nice scope too. Not sure if I want to spend that much even though I considered it earlier. I’m good with the 5 since it has the same glass as the 6. Just a few less features than the 6 offers. Features I don’t think I need on a 22-250. I also want a larger objective. At least 50. But since the 5 doesn’t offer it I’m considering the 56. Although I’d put the 3-15x44 on my 30-06 if I like this scope enough. Seeing if I buy one. And right now I’d say I’m 90%+ on it.

The videos just point out that most scopes are made in Japan by 1 of several factories. It seems they thought the NF, Vortex & Primary Arms all originate out of the same factory. That means they all more or less have the same internal mechanicals.

In the Ziess video he points out that most high end German mechanicals come from the same place also.

That is really the point of all the videos.

Brownells is having a 10% free shipping sale today. It's always a good deal to buy from them. (life time guarantee)

There is nothing wrong with cheap scopes for guys who are not doing long range shooting.

Obviously if you are dialing in formulas and all this stuff you know that already.

I've had a few NF SHV F1's, and I have multiple Swaro Z3's and Z5's and I have a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44.

I didn't love the SHV's at all, that's why they all went down the road. They aren't bad scopes and a few years ago when they came out they were probably the best value for a scope with those features and build quality, but today there are better. They're also a little on the heavy side for a hunting marketed type scope at 30oz. I also don't care for the zero stop shims they used or the reticle choices.

The Swarovski's are great and have excellent glass but the turrets (even the ballistic turret models) suck for dialing and they do not track accurately what so ever. If it's going to be a set it and forget it type rifle they will do fine. One thing they have going for them is the mil based BDC reticles so you can dope your rifle in mils and hold in mils unlike most BDC reticles which have oddball increments for the holds.

The VX5HD is the all around best of the bunch to me. The locking zero stop turrets are great, they aren't as tight or smooth as my S&B's but they feel nice and track dead nuts. The glass is a hair better than my Z3's and on par with my Z5's in both resolution and brightness. I also love the Impact 29 reticle for holds. If I had my way I'd love it to be available in mil with the CCH reticle (or better yet Tremor 3 but that would add $400+ for the reticle licensing fee alone) and be FFP too but I can live with it how it is. At 15x on the top end where the reticle is true its not too much and if I'm shooting far enough that I need the holds then I'll probably be on 15x anyway. Also 15x isn't enough to get you into trouble with mirage in all but the worst conditions so you can still use the reticle without having to back down to get out of the mirage.

I'd buy the Leupold between the 3 and never look back. Also since the Z5's are getting up there and opening up your price range I'd also toss in the Leupold Mark 5's. They're awesome scopes and you can get some very good deals on them, 15-20% off MAP is pretty easy to score.

With all of the info I’ve been getting from the threads I’ve posted on forums and general research I’m really leaning to the Leupold. I’m sure the SHV will be a good scope also but I like the lighter weight and features of the Leo. Plus the custom turret that you can send in for. And from what I hear the low light capabilities pass the SHV. I think I’m going to pass on the z5 for sure since I don’t need a 25 power. And also it’s about 200-300 more than I’ve decided I want to spend. Thanks for the info guys.

Well a store I was at today in a town an hour away can order the VX5HD 3-15x56 for $1079. Best price I’ve seen anywhere. Even online I think. And another local chain store told me $1140 for the same thing. If I go with Leo I’m hoping they will match the other place. However the Swaro Z5’s were $1699 and $1799 for the models they had. A little pricey I thought on those. I was really surprised they even had scopes priced that high period.

I have owned and used other people's rifles that all had Leupolds on them. From the $150 models to the $3000 ones. They all drove me nuts. And still do. I have used up more barrel life and components just trying to get them zeroed in than i care to count. The problems are with the turrets.
Like most people say, if you have a trajectory type reticle, and you don't test different loads, and adjust the turrets very little, leupold can work. For me, I sold all of my Leupy's and bought one SHV. The turret moves correctly, every time. And that's the deal breaker for me. No tapping the rings lightly with a rubber hammer. No adjusting past the amount I actually wanting to adjust to, just because of inferior mechanisms. I can mess my yardage adjustments well enough all by myself. I don't need any more help from anyone else! I hate to think HOW much time and $$ I wasted over the years because of their faulty design. And that's not counting the Postage, the Insurance, and the time of sending them ALL back for repairs! And I try to support made in the USA as much as possible. But when the market tells you you have to improve your products, you improve your products. Thank gosh for posters here and on other websites that have helped me see the light. My range and hunting time fun has increased by 100 fold.

Last edited:
Well guys after reading tons of reviews and inputs on hunting forums I decided on the Leo. I like the features and it sounds like low light performance is hard to beat with similar priced scopes. No one around here has it in stock so I’m going in blind. 2 stores could order it in a good prices and I just called a different one and he blew everyone out of the water with his price and I couldn’t pass it up. Hate to wait longer and the price get higher. I’m sure I’ll like it. New rings showed up yesterday so all set to mount it.

Back