Night Hunting With My YELLOW Jeep (Submarine)?

LDhunter

OK... I bought a used Jeep Wrangler JKX 2 door for hunting and navigating the piney woods here in NW Florida. I wanted to be able to legally use it on National Forest lands as well as private leases and for me to do that it needed to be licensed for road use as well.

Soooo... After looking at all the options including ATVs, UTVs and Golf Carts I went for a Jeep.

Unfortunately the best deal I found on one is a starkly yellow one that is in your face YELLOW! LOL

I suspect that this will be a poor color for night hunting for coyotes and hogs? If most of the coyote and hog hunting experts (I'm FAR from being in that elite group) agree that I need to wrap or paint my YELLOW Jeep then can I get some suggestions for what to do?

I don't want to go with flat black. I feel that this attracts too much unwanted attention from other hunters and law enforcement. It screams sneaky law breaker in my opinion.

Camo wrap is an attractive option until you discover the prohibitive expense and read people's complaints of it peeling off under heavy use.

I have a couple friends that suggest a rattle can paint job with a home made version of a dark camo and frankly that sounds good but this Jeep as it sits now is a good looking one and I almost hate to ruin it's appeal with rattle cans but then I didn't buy it to compete in beauty contests. LOL

Suggestions?

BTW... If you've read this far maybe you've run across some sort of roof rack that would support a swivel seat I could hunt from? There are a lot of people making Jeep roof racks but it seems that you have to go upwards of a thousand to get one sturdy enough to support my 200 pounds and another hundred pounds of swivel seat, rifle, etc... I think it should be rated at a bare minimum of 300 and 500 pounds is likely what I should really be looking at.

Last edited:
My first day in the National Forest with my Jeep... I guess I grossly overestimated it's ability to swim deep mudholes... LOL

It was the first time I've been stuck and needed help getting out in over 25 years of woods wandering with 4wd trucks.

tumblr_pmwq6hDzTN1rbxpn1o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pmwq6hDzTN1rbxpn1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pmwq6hDzTN1rbxpn1o2_1280.jpg

I'd been through that mud/water hole in the past but what I didn't know was that a couple of locals with huge tires had been playing in that hole and had left waist deep ruts in it.

A guy I used to hunt with came wandering by after I'd been stuck waiting for AAA with a heavy duty winch to get me out and he said I was the fifth person he'd seen stuck in that mud hole in the last month or so.

Anyway you can see how starkly yellow my jeep is and draw conclusions as to visibility for hogs and coyotes in the daytime or nighttime.

Hopefully the next time you see pics of it I'll have my coyote hunting rack on top and it'll be parked in a little better place.
wink.gif

Well, it's definitely yellow, and it was definitely stuck in the muck. Actually I like the color combo with the black for contrast. Not sure if that's bad for hunting or not, but overall I think it looks pretty good. I think the worst part is getting it dried out good from all the water inside. Did water get in the engine very much?

I used to ride with a game warden friend who had a green parachute that he would throw over his vehicle while waiting for poachers at night. I've seen them shine lights right on the vehicle and never see it, but it was a bit unnerving thinking they might turn loose with a rifle any minute.

I vote leave it yellow too. I'm picking up my orange 2 door JL tomorrow. Thinking about a high rack too. We have a local custom welder I'll be paying a visit to.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Well, it's definitely yellow, and it was definitely stuck in the muck. Actually I like the color combo with the black for contrast. Not sure if that's bad for hunting or not, but overall I think it looks pretty good. I think the worst part is getting it dried out good from all the water inside. Did water get in the engine very much?

We couldn't detect any water in the motor or any other of the running gear except the transmission but, of course, we changed all the fluids and the motor and the transmission got it changed twice.

Drying out the carpets is a full time job. I'm running my wet and dry vacuum once a day and right now finally we're having a sunny and dry day and I have all the doors open so hopefully the sun and dry air will help too.

The Kicker speaker amp was under the passenger's seat and it was submerged for over two hours so it's toast but the radio and all the Kicker speakers seem to have survived just fine. I wasn't the one that put all the great after market speakers and amp in it, that was the guy that owned it before me. It DOES sound good though even without the amp.

The YELLOW color does look good but I'm just worried about how visible it will be at night to coyotes and hogs. Otherwise there is no chance I'd ever change the color. I've not seen one locally here that is yellow but there are a BUNCH of jeeps around here so I'll likely see one soon.

Jeep owners seem to be very friendly and it seems like they all want to wave when we see each other on the road. We have a huge Chrysler dealer in Tallahassee and they sell a ton of Jeeps.

Now to figure out which roof rack to buy so I can sit on top and see over all this dang brush we have here in Florida. Most of them are very expensive and although the hard top is very strong I don't want to ruin it so I keep looking for something strong that attaches to strong points on the rear bumper and front windshield supports which are attached to the frame and are very strong and will keep all the weight off the roof.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWell now you have a nickname for your Jeep. (The yellow submarine)
thumbup.gif

He he he. That's pretty good. Of course LD may not find it as humerous. Just hope you get it dried out LD and back in good shape, then post photos of it and some of those Florida critters.

I say who cares. Drive as far as you can and park a little walking never hurt anyone. 2019 disclaimer I apologize I did not read the whole post, I apologize if you are handicapped, gay, or transgender. With all that said just take s walk dude. It will buff it always does.

OK... So now the Yellow Submarine gets an outboard motor.
thumbup.gif

Yes... It's about dried out now and there's no apparent long lasting harm other than to my stubborn pride that likes to brag that I NEVER get stuck...
blushing.gif

Parking and walking will still be done sometimes but by far the most productive hunting seems to be run and gun from a vehicle and if you stand or sit you simply won't be able to see very far on most stands. That's why elevated perches are so popular with SE hunters of almost anything we hunt down here.

Originally Posted By: SkyPupYour place looks as wet as ours....

I don't know just how wet your place is but I've been hunting around here for about 25 years and about 22 years ago for a year or two it seemed to be as wet as this but memory fades and roads and terrain change.

Three years ago almost all our creeks ponds and swamps around here were bone dry and now almost anywhere water has historically collected is full to overflowing.

The water table is so near the surface in many places that the ground makes a squishy sound when you walk on it.
tongue.gif

Of course in a year or two we'll be complaining about how dry it is again. It seems that the cycles are never ending. Uh... Is that climate change?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Cycle-N-SqueezeI say who cares. Drive as far as you can and park a little walking never hurt anyone. 2019 disclaimer I apologize I did not read the whole post, I apologize if you are handicapped, gay, or transgender. With all that said just take s walk dude. It will buff it always does.

I've often been accused of mentally handicapped but I'm a firm believer that any day spent hunting or fishing adds another day onto your life span and some think I ain't too bright because of that. As for the other two, I've never been accused of same or even shown a slight tendency.
wink.gif

Actually, the yellow & black is a nice combination. Not a night hunter, but I think I'd hunt it a while to see how it works.

When I was shopping for a used jeep the only decent deal I could find was on this one:
35772507032_a71a8399d9_c.jpg

Thought about having it painted w/black bedliner but decided to give it a try. Don't hunt at night, but the red doesn't seem too bad in the brush country.

The little wranglers don't have a lot of room in/on them so I built the 2" trailer hitch mount for both swivel chair and winch which I can move to either end of the jeep as need arises. So far only time I used the winch was to pull out another TJ and a Suburban.

35132455683_b434c5d926_c.jpg

35317773180_558b2147cd_c.jpg

1500# ATV winch on back bumper provides lift for game:

35317754430_06aefff051_z.jpg

45931083255_1bdff2e3a2_z.jpg

Regards,
hm

HM,

Now that's a really nice setup you've fabricated there... I wish I was as handy as you are but my best talents are focused on real estate and mechanically.... well... Let's just say a man's gotta know his limitations.
wink.gif

Since nobody but me seems to be concerned about the visibility of my Yellow Submarine I guess I'll just try hunting with it as it is and seeing how the deer, coyotes, and hogs like it.

LD

Quote:Since nobody but me seems to be concerned about the visibility of my Yellow Submarine I guess I'll just try hunting with it as it is and seeing how the deer, coyotes, and hogs like it.

Sounds like a plan. If calling from the vehicle, I like to take care that the halo does not reflect off the vehicle.

Regards,
hm

Back