Alliant reloded 16

Hcboy

Is anyone using RL16 in any of there reloads? What’s your thoughts and how you seen any temperature sensitivity? I’m interested in using it for heavy 6mm bullets and in reloading my Winchester 270.

Nobody is using this stuff? I know it’s a little new but figured somebody would of at least tried it out on something.

I've been using RL16 in my 20-250 w/55gr Bergers for awhile now and I'm very happy with it. Per the manufacturer, "Reloder 16 offers truly outstanding temperature stability". I've not done any temp stability testing of my own to either confirm or deny this so I can't really help you there, all I know is it works very well for the application I'm using it for.

I have the alliant reloading book and there are no loads listed using re16 with the 6mm and the 270win. I have re16 and will try it in my 6.5cm, there are lots of loads listed for the 6.5cm. spike

I use Reloader 16 in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm very happy with it. I have tested velocity from 12 degrees to 90+ degrees and it has been less than 5fps difference.
Bobby

Originally Posted By: SpikeI have the alliant reloading book and there are no loads listed using re16 with the 6mm and the 270win. I have re16 and will try it in my 6.5cm, there are lots of loads listed for the 6.5cm. spike
Do you feel that re16 would be to fast for a 110 grain bullet and maybe that’s you it’s not listed?

Also I’ve found on the alliant website a load for a 130 grain bullet going at about 3100 FPS. I’m curious about it for trying to have one powder for two applications. I know there’s probably better choices out there but I sometimes like to take the unbeaten path to see what comes from it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bruised I use Reloader 16 in my 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm very happy with it. I have tested velocity from 12 degrees to 90+ degrees and it has been less than 5fps difference.
Bobby
That’s pretty impressive if you ask me. I’m always thinking temp stability for living were temperature changes often and dramatic.

Hcboy, 4831 is the old stand by for the 270win and it is slow burning, alliant 23or 26 would be better for the 270. you can use a lot of different powders but they will not be as efficient as the ones listed.

I picked up a jug of RL16 for a new 243 I put together. It's the only powder I've run through it so far with three different bullets. By bullet drop between 100 and 300 yards I'm averaging 3050 fps with the new sierra gamechanger. I haven't put many over the chrono yet due to the barrel having less then 100 rounds down it. It's consistent and extremely accurate with 70gr Tipped Varmageddon's. I've found with the newer de-coppering powders they tend to be 'dirty,' meaning there's more powder in the bore when cleaning, but hardly any copper to speak of.

70gr Varms, 45gr 3334
87gr Vmax, 41.5gr 3031

This was at less then 30 rounds down the barrel.

I bought some for my 6.5 Creedmoor. I haven't used it yet. Everything I have read says that RL16 is just a tad faster than 4350 I have been reloading with IMR 4350 since 1979 with excellent results. I will eventually try the RL16 with my 270 Winchester. I'm going to respectfully disagree with the blanket comment that RL 23 or 26 would be superior. Load some and find out for your self.

http://alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powde...mp;cartridge=63

Agree with Spike...4831 for a 270, used to use RL22 but back during the component shortage several years ago switched due to what I could find. Burn rate-wise both are very close. I also use the 4831 for heavy 243 bullets (90+ gr) and it shoots very well...I'm not worried about speed at all, just accuracy and in the SE US a couple hundred yards is all I feel I need for deer and coyotes. I have a friend in Savannah and he uses RL16 in his 6.5 Creedmoor and swears by it regardless of season.

I confirmed my trajectories out to 560 yards w/300 WSM & 155 TMK w/RL16 today. The load is very even vertically. 3250 FPS. I’m happy & ready for wile-e!

Harvey, I saw the updated loads for the 270win using re16, I guess the alliant reloaders guide 2018 is out of date. thanks for the latest. spike

Back