$500 Varmint Scope

I have seen some bushnell elite 6500's used in the 500 price range. He'd be better off trying to shop used to get a little more glass for the money with a 500 budget. In my opinion once you start going above 12-14x mag glass quality starts to show its face in lower priced scopes. If he wants to use the 20x plus mag often and not be dissatisfied by clarity then trying to find a 700-900 dollar scope on the used market for his budget will be a better experience.

If he doesn't mind a heavier scope there are some good deals on gen 1 vortex viper 6-24's right now.

RD, you've likely already experienced this over the years, but something else to be mindful of, it's been my experience that where your better, and generally more expensive, scopes really start to show their value is in the upper end of the magnification range. I've had different price level scopes sitting side by side that appeared to have similar-ish optics when set on their lower power settings but as you increased the magnification is where the better, usually more expensive, scope/s start separating themselves from the lower price point scope/s.

My most recent example of this was with a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 I used to have. On the lower power settings, it was great and very comparable to some of my other, better, scopes, but as you increased the magnification, it wasn't even close.

IMO, if you are wanting a scope that is in the 20-24x, make sure you test/compare them with the power cranked up there because all that magnification is worthless if it seems like you're looking through a screen door with the power cranked up. Personally, I'm not sure I've ever seen a $500 scope that was very usable at 20-24X.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jay03I have seen some bushnell elite 6500's used in the 500 price range. He'd be better off trying to shop used to get a little more glass for the money with a 500 budget. In my opinion once you start going above 12-14x mag glass quality starts to show its face in lower priced scopes. If he wants to use the 20x plus mag often and not be dissatisfied by clarity then trying to find a 700-900 dollar scope on the used market for his budget will be a better experience.

If he doesn't mind a heavier scope there are some good deals on gen 1 vortex viper 6-24's right now.

Ugh, I should have read this before posting because I pretty much just repeated what you said. Sorry about that.

Originally Posted By: B23
IMO, if you are wanting a scope that is in the 20-24x, make sure you test/compare them with the power cranked up there because all that magnification is worthless if it seems like you're looking through a screen door with the power cranked up. Personally, I'm not sure I've ever seen a $500 scope that was very usable at 20-24X.

Yessir! I in younger days I had more than my share of scopes that seemed to be great on the lower end but when you cranked them up all that clarity went away fast. I told my buddy about those scopes that Cabala's is closing out and I'm hoping that he will get one them.

Years ago when I was an installer for the phone company I was putting jacks in a house that was under construction. They owner was a self made millionaire and a really nice guy. He was having a walk-in gun safe installed in one of the bedroom closets and all of his high end rifles were leaning against several walls waiting for the safe to be completed. He proudly showed me his various Weatherbys and Sakos and others that I have forgotten now. But what I remember well is that every one of those fine rifles had a cheapo scope on it. Like $80 Tasco or BSA or low end Bushnell. I asked him if he was OK with such inexpensive scopes on his guns and he said "Oh yeah! They're just as good as any of the others!" Well, maybe to him. I shouldered his .270 Weatherby and looking out the scope made me think I was looking through Saran Wrap. Double thickness. But if he was happy with the glass then who am I to tell him otherwise? But for sure this was a fine case of 'to each his own'.

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: Jay03I have seen some bushnell elite 6500's used in the 500 price range. He'd be better off trying to shop used to get a little more glass for the money with a 500 budget. In my opinion once you start going above 12-14x mag glass quality starts to show its face in lower priced scopes. If he wants to use the 20x plus mag often and not be dissatisfied by clarity then trying to find a 700-900 dollar scope on the used market for his budget will be a better experience.

Ugh, I should have read this before posting because I pretty much just repeated what you said. Sorry about that.

Haha, I do it all the time. Once these threads get past 10-12 posts it takes a while to read it all.

RD, If your friend is interested in a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 w/DOA reticle I know where a nice used one is for sale and the guy is asking $600 for it.

I don't know the seller personally, but I'd be happy to get his contact info for your friend if you'd like.

Originally Posted By: B23RD, If your friend is interested in a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 w/DOA reticle I know where a nice used one is for sale and the guy is asking $600 for it.

I don't know the seller personally, but I'd be happy to get his contact info for your friend if you'd like.

Thanks, Bryan. I will ask him. But it seems that he cannot make up his mind what he wants now so I will just let him get what he ends up getting.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, If your friend is interested in a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 w/DOA reticle I know where a nice used one is for sale and the guy is asking $600 for it.

Thanks, Bryan. I will ask him. But it seems that he cannot make up his mind what he wants now so I will just let him get what he ends up getting.

Ohhh, I know exactly what you mean. I've been involved in a few of those kinds of things with friends and when it's all said and done, more often than not, I'm left wondering, well why did you even ask me then.
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, If your friend is interested in a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 w/DOA reticle I know where a nice used one is for sale and the guy is asking $600 for it.

Ohhh, I know exactly what you mean. I've been involved in a few of those kinds of things with friends and when it's all said and done, more often than not, I'm left wondering, well why did you even ask me then.
rolleyes.gif

Heh heh! I think we know the same guy!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: B23RD, If your friend is interested in a Bushnell 6500 4.5-30x50 w/DOA reticle I know where a nice used one is for sale and the guy is asking $600 for it.

rolleyes.gif

Heh heh! I think we know the same guy!
grin.gif

I know the feeling well! And, knowing me, I've done it to some others at one time or another...

Originally Posted By: basdjsIf he's willing to compromise, I'd look for a used Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 or 6-24x50. Most are AO not SF and they're 1" tube but they are great scopes and he can buy the scope, rings, and mounts for well under $500. .

Good choice. Mine is the slightly older version made under the Bausch and Lomb brand name.

The sightron s3 comes in 24 x or 32 x. It has SF and 30mm tube. MOA2 reticle should be fine enough as it is like .2 moa at 24x, or it comes in fine x hair etc. Problem is its a bit too much money. They come up for sale used on accurate shooter forum regularly for about 600, and there is a site that has smoking deals on em at like 650 or so new but can't remember the name of it off hand. They come up about once every 1 to 2 weeks, usually in 32x.

Back