I need a can.

Rhett Steele

My head is spinning. I've read reviews after reviews..What should a guy get? I'd like to get one can, a 7.62, and run it on everything I got. Is a Hybrid what I need? Do I get a 7.62 can and get different mounts and end caps for 223?

I'd like to stay in the total package cost of $1000. Silencershop has an OSS with free stamp offer going on right now. Is OSS good?

What can would you get with these lists of requirements?

I'd either get a TBAC 30 cal Ultra 7 or if you're willing to trade a little extra length for more sound reduction, the TBAC Ultra 9.

Lot's of options to choose from. Instead of throwing options at you right off the bat, I'd like to get to know your application a little more. Do you want optimal sound suppression, or are you willing to sacrifice some performance for one can for all your rifles. Are you looking for a lighter set up or are you willing to sacrifice weight and save a little $$$. Do you want to go with a single point attachment or something QD? If need be give me a ring, we've shot close to a hundred makes mods of manufacturers cans, in hunting applications, no bias, just what we've experienced.

Another vote for TBAC. You don't change the end caps, but I've used the .30 cal for all my cal. down to the .22. The question is from Skinney. Attachment?? use?? repeatability?? sound?? TBAC

AR or bolt gun?
I have a hybrid but I bought it mostly for 450 bushmaster and 44 mag. It sounds the same to me on an AR as my omega, if both have a 223 endcap, but the hybrid is 1.5" longer and 1.5oz heavier. I don't notice the weight but I definately notice the length.
Hybrid kind of makes sense on an AR because it has very little backpressure due to the large .46 overbore. But if you are using it only on bolt guns .30 cal and under then there are probably shorter lighter cans that will sound just as good. I've seen them as cheap as $500 recently.
I just direct thread both of them, they are shorter and lighter that way and I don't think QD is necessary for hunting.

The main use will be for hunting. Unlike the vast openness of the west, here in Indiana most of my calling places are within sight of a house. Out of respect of the neighbors, I'd like to blast away at 1am without raising alarm. Mostly going on AR. 223, 6x45 and 300 bo. Would thread a couple of bolt guns as well. 17wsm, 243, 6.5cm and 7 mag.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleMy head is spinning. I've read reviews after reviews..What should a guy get? I'd like to get one can, a 7.62, and run it on everything I got. Is a Hybrid what I need? Do I get a 7.62 can and get different mounts and end caps for 223?

I'd like to stay in the total package cost of $1000. Silencershop has an OSS with free stamp offer going on right now. Is OSS good?

What can would you get with these lists of requirements?

As Skinney correctly pointed out, and you responded, the application really helps to dictate what you want and get.

Suppression levels really boil down to about the same from most suppressor manufacturers. A DB here or there.

Then it comes down to size and weight. You really have to decide what truly is important to you. If you are going to be tight in, you might want something short and light. But if you have the ability to get comfortable, and are going to be shooting from a bipod or tripod, then weight and length may be less of an issue for you. I have BOTH needs. I run a YHM Phantom .30cal on my .308 PTG-10 coyote gun, but I shoot off of a bipod or tripod on coyote hunts, so a 14lb rifle rig is no concern for me. But I also bought a YHM Turbo 5.56 for my fox/bobcat .17Rem because I don't want to have to lug around a tripod on those hunts.

Next should be mounting options. There is NOTHING wrong with direct thread suppressors. But I like the ability to switch from gun to gun quickly so I opted for QD mounts for my suppressors. But that really is a matter of choice and convenience.

Many suppressor manufacturers offer lifetime warranties so that is a wash. Besides, most guys aren't going to shoot out a suppressor, unless you are someone like Skinney who shoots suppressed, A LOT.

So then comes cost. It ain't cheap getting into the suppressor game. You have the suppressor, then the stamp, then the trust if you go that route, so it can add up real quick. You have to look at total cost so you don't get sticker shock. A $500 suppressor is really going to cost you more like $700-900 when it's all said and done. So if you are looking for under $1000 then you better cap the suppressor cost at under $600. That is going to limit your choices. But there are some really good options out there in that price range.

So as for which one we would recommend, well, that's like everything else. Opinions will vary wildly but there are some really good suppressor connoisseurs in this forum that will offer some really good advice.

I’d pick your favorite go-to hunting rifle and buy a can specific for it. You will be much happier with your purchase. Any other guns you have right now that it works on is just a bonus. Even if you don’t think you can afford or even want another rifle can in the future, give it a couple years and you will want another and will find a way to afford it.

If you’re dragging your rifle in and out of a vehicle a lot or hunting in thicker terrain, something around a 7” length is great. Also consider going the qd route, just remember you’re going to have to buy a mount for every rifle you plan to use it on.

If you’re mainly shooting off a bench, hunting out of a blind, or walking through open fields or plains, go with something a little longer for a little better suppression. Direct thread will be fine.

Weight is your enemy and very noticeable out on the end of the barrel. Unless you’re doing multiple high cap mag dumps on a range, get the lightest suppressor you can afford.

30 caliber cans suppress everything down to 17 caliber just fine. You’re not going to notice much if any difference with caliber specific cans or front end caps in a one or two shot hunting situation with supersonic rounds. You might notice a slight improvement when shooting multiple rounds from a bolt gun off a bench or shooting subsonic rounds.

Just shop for the most features you can afford that best match the gun you use the most and the way you most often use it. Something like the Nomad or Omega is pretty hard to beat for a first do all rifle can, but anything from Dead Air, Thunder Beast, Rugged, Silencerco, etc is going to be money well spent. I’d only consider a Hybrid if my main gun was a 458 socom, 450 bushmaster, 45/70, etc.

I personally wouldn’t light off multiple rounds after dark from a suppressed supersonic rifle and expert any less negative attention than from one unsupressed, but that may just be me and the people that live around here.

Back