Foxes in Roxes

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
Watch as we tackle some grey foxes in Az. The first video was shot from two different cameras and it gives a very interesting view of the scene. The second, taken in the same are a few days later shows what we got to come in and play.

Hope you enjoy,

Mo

Great video. Really enjoyed watching the fox from the two vantage points. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: flintrockYou fellas and your Greys! I'm envious! It's on my bucket list! WTG Mo!

I love when PM members come out! Come on out and bring your bucket!!!

Snowman, did you try and fox distress? I think I am hearing coyote distress on the caller. I have had good luck with screaming gray and platinum gray on getting them in close.

I love watching the antic of foxes. My friend and I called in a grey in country that wasn't suppose to have ANY fox in it. Funny thing we also had a coyote coming in about 200 yards back from the fox. The fox would rush from sage clump to sage clump and try and hide just peeking around the bush until it rushed to the next clump, we almost couldn't keep from laughing out loud it was better than any comedy show we've ever seen. We passed on the fox and couldn't get the coyote to commit before it got down wind of us. It is still one of the stands we reminisce about. I don't target fox much anymore, trapped a lot of them up in MN(all reds) and hunted them for bounty in the 1960's back in WI(again mostly reds).

It looks like you had a fun day. Hope to get into a few in the future do to the move to NM, my neighbor has them on his backyard trail cam along with bobcat, coyote and javalina.

Great video to watch, Thank you.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerSnowman, did you try and fox distress? I think I am hearing coyote distress on the caller. I have had good luck with screaming gray and platinum gray on getting them in close.

I sure did. I usually start my calling sequence with some higher pitched cottontail calls, throw in some bird calls and finish with fox/canine pup distress calls.

The first contact we made on that stand was on cottontail calls, about 60 seconds in. Then when it started barking I switched into several different fox distress calls. When that wasn't panning out I switched into canine pup distress calls.

On the video you can hear that I am running grey fox distress calls until about the 5:40 mark, when I switched into canine pups, which I ran for about a minute or so before I went into pup distress 3. PD3 is actually quite effective for not only foxes but also bobcats.

All the calls got some responses, barking, movement and we even got a fox to pop up on the rock right in front of us. But Shauna, my shooter, wasn't good at taking off hand shots so she was shooting from a stick and couldn't get a shot on it.

We were at the first stand location for about 19 minutes total. Then Shauna and I relocated and started the stand again. We were at these rocks a total of over 30 minutes. Normally I wouldn't stay that long but we had so much contact we had to stick it out.

It was amazing getting to see the two different perspectives on this stand. Not something that you get to see everyday.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: flintrockYou fellas and your Greys! I'm envious! It's on my bucket list! WTG Mo!

I love when PM members come out! Come on out and bring your bucket!!!

Wow! Thanks for the invitation. You never know. I might just have to take you up on it someday.

That is great footage. I never realized fox would jump up on rocks that high. There's always something to learn.

Back