Once more unto the breach, dear friends...

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
I have and LOVE my YHM Stainless Phanton QD .30 cal suppressor. It is a beast. It's heavy, I could probably beat a coyote to death with it if I needed to. But it suppresses so well. But running 8.5 inches of stainless on my PTG-10 at 25 ounces brings my primary coyote rig up to 14lbs. Well, I can deal with that. I have a tripod from the guys over at Night Goggles, https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/night-...;v=7516fd43adaa and I love it and it makes my 14lb howitzer manageable.

20190201_063058 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Well, I recently rebuilt my .17 Remington because a client was interested. Putting that beast of a Phantom on the .17 Rem worked, but really only with a tripod. Because I built the .17 Rem for foxes and bobcats, I will be getting up into the rocks with them. That makes the tripod a little less attractive.

So I have been doing some research, and after a lot of sleepless nights and countless hours of discussion with fellow suppressor aficionados, I bit the bullet this weekend and bought a YHM Turbo 5.56 suppressor.

turbo-award by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Sure, there are a LOT of really GOOD suppressors that I could have gone with. Having used Surefire 5.56 suppressors as well as the Griffin Armaments Optimus and the Silencerco Harvester, these were ALL on my mind as I researched my next new baby.

So why the YHM? First of all, I know their quality. Not that the others are not quality, they ALL are. So that was a wash.

Then there was the QD mount. I really like the ratcheting mount that YHM uses. The mount on the Turbo is the same that I use on my Phantom. Rather than coming up with a new mount for a new suppressor YHM stuck with what works for them. That was a mark in the plus column.

Then there was construction. The Turbo is a "tubeless" design. So there is no secondary body tube around it. This helps to keep the weight down. But it is still a stainless suppressor so that means it is tough. It is full auto rated, so YHM must have something right. One more plus.

The Turbo comes in at 13.5 ounces which puts it up there towards the top in terms of weight. It is only 6.5in long. Another in the plus column.

Then it came down to brass tacks. The Surefire, Griffin and Silencerco are ALL TOP notch suppressors, but they come at a top notch price. I am not a cheap skate, but cost was playing in on this decision. I was pleasantly surprised that the YHM was UNDER $400, even with all the features. I watched several test videos and read a lot of reviews that gave it high marks. I am glad to see that YHM has built quality in at an affordable price. The YHM tested at 136-138 DB's, which isn't the greatest, but really, once you are down under 140, how much more did I really need. My YHM Phantom gives me plenty of suppression, enough to get second and even third shots at coyotes when I need it, so I expect at those DB levels the Turbo will do just fine.

So now the wait. It won't be as bad as my first time. But, we all know how it goes.

As soon as it gets here I will be sure to revisit this post to report out on how it performs.

Mo

The new YHM cans are getting some really good reviews. It looks like they are moving to the modular rear threading in the Silencerco thread pattern with their new Turbo K can and I bet they will update the turbo and resonator cans in the same way to open up mounting options and also allow direct thread. That would be a pretty unbeatable combo at the price they sell for.
Standardizing the rear threads is kind of a big deal for me since I already have a few SiCo cans and I probably won't buy anything in the future that doesn't support that. I am really considering buying a Dead Air Nomad because it can use all the various direct thread mounts I already own, while being cheaper and maybe quieter than my Omega.

I'm far from an expert, you know that. My one and only suppressor so far is a YHM Turbo 5.56 on one of your ARs. It's been a great can. Quiet (to my untrained ear), lightweight, sturdy, and nicely affordable. I think you'll like it. The ratchet QD is nifty too.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamI'm far from an expert, you know that. My one and only suppressor so far is a YHM Turbo 5.56 on one of your ARs. It's been a great can. Quiet (to my untrained ear), lightweight, sturdy, and nicely affordable. I think you'll like it. The ratchet QD is nifty too.

I hadn't realized you had the Turbo. Thanks for the feedback.

It was nice seeing you put down fur with that rifle and can combo.

Originally Posted By: Rhett SteeleMine went to prison on 3/5. Just trying to forget about it.

That's all we can do...

It's not so bad when you already have others that you can use. When you forget it and then the stamp arrives it's like Christmas!!!

I've been eyeing the Turbo as well. The weight, price and QD features really make it an attractive can. I have heard little to no negative feedback on the reviews either. For a 5.56 can, it sure looks like a winner. Looking forward to the range report.

I was impressed by it's size and weight. Even being light you could feel that it is well made. I like having the same QD attachment as my Phantom.

Now if it suppresses as good as it looks I will be so very happy...in 9 months or so.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: Rhett SteeleMine went to prison on 3/5. Just trying to forget about it.

That's all we can do...

It's not so bad when you already have others that you can use. When you forget it and then the stamp arrives it's like Christmas!!!
I do not already have one. The other day we were hunting and we had a coon up in a tree. My buddy asks if i was to shoot his 300 bo with can. I kindly accept the offer. That only made the wait worse.

I came on the site in 2011 and ask what should I buy? It came back Specwar 7,62.
I have never looked back. It works on all rifles, AR to bolt.
Never had to buy an adjustable gas block.
Thanks.

Back