Surf and Turf..... Sort of

.204Dan

Second to last day off and it is beautiful out. Looking at the forecast and wind the night before looked like a perfect morning to be out calling coyotes. Drove to one of my favourite spots and parked right at first light and it is completely calm, not a stitch of wind.

50 yards past the fence line and 2 coyotes start serenading on the opposite side of a large hill. I expect more coyotes to chime in but they are the only ones this morning, well I haven't even sat down and the coyotes are telling me where they are!

as the sun rises I notice erratic air movement, it starts heading west, then north then south west. I have a good spot over looking a slough bottom facing the hill that those 2 coyotes are behind but with such shifty thermals I just sit for awhile until the wind is more consistent.

Starting with a couple female howls and not long after the 2 coyotes start again. I wait 10 min watching for movement but nothing. Grab the rabbit rabbit and let out a few squalls. sit for another 5 min before seeing a chest appear on a small hilltop in front of the big hill before the slough bottom. I keep still watching to see if the other mate shows up. The coyote makes its way down the hill stopping to look back every so often, he gets to the slough bottom and has a good look around. I stay still waiting for the mate to show up hoping for a chance at a double but the obviously male coyote after not finding anything starts to head back in the direction he came, not wanting to be away from his mate.

seeing that one is all I'm going to have a chance at and not wanting to lose my opportunity I give a short rabbit call to turn him back around. He does whip around and starts trotting across the slough bottom. he stops at 110 yards looking my way and with a steady rise I put the cross hairs on his chest and squeeze the trigger. I watch in the scope as the back legs kick straight putting him on his rear and his face plants in the snow.

I try some kiyi's but nothing else shows up. I don't think I have ever got a female to come in and help her man. Jeeze how nice.

Anyway sorry for the lack of photos as the phone was in the truck charging.

Its a beautiful day and as the coyote hunting gets pretty slow after 10am I decide to head to the lake for some rainbow trout ice fishing to burn off the rest of the afternoon. knowing the lake a little I pick a spot thats on the edge of a hole not far from some weeds.

Set up the tent, grab a chair, light the propane heater and grab a 1/16 jig and fix it with a bubble gum worm tied on 4lb test leader. and drop er down for a dangle.

I'm pulling line off the real on the first jig and I feel the hook taken, close the real and sure enough I have a fish on! and he's decent! the line starts zinging off and its game on. I have the drag set light as I think it adds to the fun of catching rainbow.
a glimpse down the hole and I see it is indeed a good size fish and soon have him topside and he's a chunky 22"

the rest of the after noon only saw 2 more small catches but what a day. its been an awesome time being out in this created world. feeling thankful I head home and I'm sure I will be looking forward for a day just like this one.

Congrats on your Kill and Catch 204-----A Great day for sure---Thanks for sharing --------------Enjoyed your post very much--------

svb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowshoesIf I'm ever out your way and order the Surf & Turf, I got to remember to have them hold the Turf!
Nice RB.

Hahaha ya I think that turf is used to being the eater

Back