Optics Upgrade for .222 Remington?

Barnes

Going on my first guided prairie dog hunt this year and one of the guns I plan to use is my “Old School” 1957 Remington 722 in .222 Remington with its original Unertl 10X Vulture scope with internal adjustments and medium fine cross wires. I’m the second owner and rig has served me well taking numerous groundhogs out to 300 yards.
It’s been suggested that I consider a more powerful scope for PD’s and have looked at scopes like Weaver V Classic 4 -16 X 42mm. What are your thought on need for more powerful scope? If so, recommendations?

What kind of money are you limited to spending. Its a fairly broad field. Weaver is going away you may find a deal on them but they wont be around in the future.

Vortex 6-24x50 Viper HS 30mm Rifle Scope (great warranty no fault)
Matte, XLR, Long Range, MOA, 1/p

Sightron 6-24x50 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Matte, Mil-Hash, Side Focus, 0.1 MRAD Tactical Knobs, 1/p

Zeiss 6-24x50 Conquest V4 30mm Rifle Scope

If you can afford to go Nightforce or US Optics even better but if you want to hold the price down the cheapest way to go is a SWFA SS 16x fixed power its $299.95 and likely to go on sale around tax time.

Thanks for suggestions. Regarding price, I would like to stay under $700 and have a scope that allows me to continue to use as a walk about rig for groundhogs.

Weaver classic v’s are pretty nice so are the grand slams also sightron big sky, s-tac and vortex viper hs if you are trying to stay in the 4-16 range also they are all well under the 700 mark.

There's great options from Zeiss, Meopta, Athlon and Hawke. Please give us a call to discuss what would be best for you.
Doug
516-217-1000

I personally would not even mess with anything less than a 6.5-20x40 or a 6-24, wouldn't rule out a 8-32, seems there are some 5-25's floating around too. Your shooting PD's not running game or close in work. Forget having 4x on the bottom end and go for more on the top end, you can always turn it down to 8 or 10x if mirage gets to be a problem. If you have an original 722 go with the 40mm objective those 722 stocks have a lot of drop to them for using with iron sights. With the 40mm you can usually get away with the next lower ring size and not have to build up the stock so much.

Vortex seems to have a lot of nice options, I have a 4X16 Viper that I have on my Predator Pursuit, I was looking through there scopes today and it seems like they have scopes from $150 on up.

I hate vortex and all my buddies and I have had issues and sent them back. So letting you know that I would never have one on a gun even if it was free I’ll say go for a

sightron STAC 4-20 or whatever sightron you feel and spend the rest on ammo

OR

Burris veracity. I got one for $500 new so they do have some good deals on em. Haven’t used it nearly as much as my sightron’s but so far it’s good.

Originally Posted By: AcroninCheck out Athlon Midas TAC 6-24 they are fantastic.

Would be our pleasure to assist you with a TAC, great scope
Doug
516-217-1000

Back