dog days of winter.

Yotarunner

Custom Call Maker
so the weather for today was forecast to be awesome with -30 and only 5km winds.
even though i probably should have hunted the morning the snooze button was pushed and i elected to hunt the afternoon.
the area for todays hunt was a middle of nowhere chunk of land the boss owns but being so far away i have never scouted it so i was going in blind
On the walk to make the first stand hopes were high as i looked at all the coyote tracks on the trail.
plans quickly changed when the wind switched from north to south east. frustrated i turned to the east and setup in a less than ideal location that at least still commanded a fair view around me.
After 20 min of howling and playing the jackrabbit blues this stand was chocked up to be a dud but my last scan of the area showed a coyote just off my left shoulder. for a painstaking minute that coyote and i stared each other down as i waited for an opening to move the rifle into position.
At the sound of a far off coyote howling this small male turned his head and gave me the time to move the rifle into position and within moments the 40Vmax had him dead at 114 yards.

on my walk back to the truck i marveled at how great this country looked and so the decision was made to keep moving down the 2 track to see what could be found.
1/4 mile from my first stand the truck was parked behind a small hill and i planned to move 300 yards or so and find a spot to sit and make a stand.
as i crested the hill i realized the only good spot that covered my downwinds was the hill that was hiding the truck. not wanting to backtrack and knowing not much noise was made on my approach i plunked myself down in the snow and started calling.
after the second series of rabbit squalls i caught movement up on the hill to my left. "$%#^ that dog is moments from catching my wind!" was the only thought going through my head as i tried to mix frantic and slow in my efforts to get the gun turned into position.
just as this first dog was seeing me get my bipod caught on a silverwillow another dog crested the hill and immediately bolted.
the only thing that saved me was both dogs stopping to look at each other in confusion as to why the other was leaving. Bipod finally untangled i settled the crosshairs on the second dog and at 212 yards dog#2 was down.
to my surprise the reason this coyote had bolted was he had been slightly higher on the hill and had seen my truck only 175 yards away! just goes to show you dont need to walk a mile to kill coyotes.

2 more stands were made with plans for one more but as the sun went down -30 took a toll on my toes coupled with the risk of my moustach snapping off i decided to call it a day.

Well done on a couple more frosty coyotes! I was out this morning but the wind here was very brisk, creating a wind-chill of -42.
Snow was sifting across the roads & fields from 7:30 till I went home at 9:30. Called some prime locations but nothing came to the calls.
This afternoon did look much nicer but I was at a gun show in town instead of hunting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yotarunner
2 more stands were made with plans for one more but as the sun went down -30 took a toll on my toes coupled with the risk of my moustach snapping off i decided to call it a day.

I love sending pics of my frozen leaky nose to my wife and younger kids...the girls are grossed out
sick.gif
and my son laughs his butt off
lol.gif
Anyways, you've got some great looking coyotes there. Thanks for sharing

You coyote hunters in AB and SK really have it great. You have vast expanses of unspoiled (undeveloped) wild lands to hunt on and the most beautiful and valuable coyotes on earth. And your provinces don't allow non-resident coyote calling except under specific circumstances. My state is diced up into 1 mile squares and almost all of them are developed as PRIVATE parcels with houses, mini-farms, small businesses, factories, etc. Competition from other coyote callers ( and trappers and hound hunters) is pretty intense in many places. Those photos say it all. Thanks for posting!!

Originally Posted By: mifoxYou coyote hunters in AB and SK really have it great. You have vast expanses of unspoiled (undeveloped) wild lands to hunt on and the most beautiful and valuable coyotes on earth. And your provinces don't allow non-resident coyote calling except under specific circumstances. My state is diced up into 1 mile squares and almost all of them are developed as PRIVATE parcels with houses, mini-farms, small businesses, factories, etc. Competition from other coyote callers ( and trappers and hound hunters) is pretty intense in many places. Those photos say it all. Thanks for posting!!

I am well aware of how lucky I am to live where I do and am glad for the opertunities I have to hunt here. Though I do have to do my share of door knocking to get to hunt the lands I'm on.
I could also say I'm quite jealous of you guys in the states for your firearms laws. I would love to take my ar15 for predators with a 20 Rd mag and a suppressor but sadly I'm stuck shooting it only at a range restricted to 5 rounds and a muzzle brake.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Glad you liked it.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOriginally Posted By: mifoxYou coyote hunters in AB and SK really have it great. You have vast expanses of unspoiled (undeveloped) wild lands to hunt on and the most beautiful and valuable coyotes on earth. And your provinces don't allow non-resident coyote calling except under specific circumstances. My state is diced up into 1 mile squares and almost all of them are developed as PRIVATE parcels with houses, mini-farms, small businesses, factories, etc. Competition from other coyote callers ( and trappers and hound hunters) is pretty intense in many places. Those photos say it all. Thanks for posting!!

I am well aware of how lucky I am to live where I do and am glad for the opertunities I have to hunt here. Though I do have to do my share of door knocking to get to hunt the lands I'm on.
I could also say I'm quite jealous of you guys in the states for your firearms laws. I would love to take my ar15 for predators with a 20 Rd mag and a suppressor but sadly I'm stuck shooting it only at a range restricted to 5 rounds and a muzzle brake.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Glad you liked it.
Try the new WK180C. All the fun of an AR none of the restricted BS.

Originally Posted By: .204DanThere are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi
The WK180C is 1095.00
CAD.

Originally Posted By: mg4201Originally Posted By: .204DanThere are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi
The WK180C is 1095.00
CAD.

Problem with all the non res AR types so far is the general lack of accuracy.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerOriginally Posted By: mg4201Originally Posted By: .204DanThere are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi
The WK180C is 1095.00
CAD.

Problem with all the non res AR types so far is the general lack of accuracy.
the reports I am getting show groups about one inch with handloads

Originally Posted By: mg4201Originally Posted By: .204DanThere are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi
The WK180C is 1095.00
CAD.

I had in mind the IWI Tavor or the Robinson XCR-L for a cool $2800

i have heard of guys working hard to tune them and getting them within one inch or so but that is far from the norm with all of the non restricted semi's right now. most seem to be built more for battle accuracy than varmint accuracy. as of right now the only option i see is to buy a alberta tactical modern sporter receiver set and go insane with the parts i buy and end up with a true varmint lazer for a cool 5grand.

Back