Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3191858 - 02/09/19 11:06 PM dog days of winter.
Yotarunner Online
Seasoned Member

Loc: Far east central alberta
so the weather for today was forecast to be awesome with -30 and only 5km winds.
even though i probably should have hunted the morning the snooze button was pushed and i elected to hunt the afternoon.
the area for todays hunt was a middle of nowhere chunk of land the boss owns but being so far away i have never scouted it so i was going in blind
On the walk to make the first stand hopes were high as i looked at all the coyote tracks on the trail.
plans quickly changed when the wind switched from north to south east. frustrated i turned to the east and setup in a less than ideal location that at least still commanded a fair view around me.
After 20 min of howling and playing the jackrabbit blues this stand was chocked up to be a dud but my last scan of the area showed a coyote just off my left shoulder. for a painstaking minute that coyote and i stared each other down as i waited for an opening to move the rifle into position.
At the sound of a far off coyote howling this small male turned his head and gave me the time to move the rifle into position and within moments the 40Vmax had him dead at 114 yards.

on my walk back to the truck i marveled at how great this country looked and so the decision was made to keep moving down the 2 track to see what could be found.
1/4 mile from my first stand the truck was parked behind a small hill and i planned to move 300 yards or so and find a spot to sit and make a stand.
as i crested the hill i realized the only good spot that covered my downwinds was the hill that was hiding the truck. not wanting to backtrack and knowing not much noise was made on my approach i plunked myself down in the snow and started calling.
after the second series of rabbit squalls i caught movement up on the hill to my left. "$%#^ that dog is moments from catching my wind!" was the only thought going through my head as i tried to mix frantic and slow in my efforts to get the gun turned into position.
just as this first dog was seeing me get my bipod caught on a silverwillow another dog crested the hill and immediately bolted.
the only thing that saved me was both dogs stopping to look at each other in confusion as to why the other was leaving. Bipod finally untangled i settled the crosshairs on the second dog and at 212 yards dog#2 was down.
to my surprise the reason this coyote had bolted was he had been slightly higher on the hill and had seen my truck only 175 yards away! just goes to show you dont need to walk a mile to kill coyotes.

2 more stands were made with plans for one more but as the sun went down -30 took a toll on my toes coupled with the risk of my moustach snapping off i decided to call it a day.

#3191865 - 02/09/19 11:46 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
Snowshoes Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Central Alberta
Well done on a couple more frosty coyotes! I was out this morning but the wind here was very brisk, creating a wind-chill of -42.
Snow was sifting across the roads & fields from 7:30 till I went home at 9:30. Called some prime locations but nothing came to the calls.
This afternoon did look much nicer but I was at a gun show in town instead of hunting.

Edited by Snowshoes (02/09/19 11:47 PM)

#3191868 - 02/10/19 12:03 AM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
West.Mass.Hunter Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: Yotarunner

2 more stands were made with plans for one more but as the sun went down -30 took a toll on my toes coupled with the risk of my moustach snapping off i decided to call it a day.

I love sending pics of my frozen leaky nose to my wife and younger kids...the girls are grossed out sick and my son laughs his butt off lol .
Anyways, you've got some great looking coyotes there. Thanks for sharing

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target!

#3191895 - 02/10/19 09:56 AM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
lockrotor Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: West Central WI
Congrats on getting a couple of nice looking coyotes.

#3191901 - 02/10/19 10:23 AM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
.204Dan Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: East Central Alberta
those off side coyotes are the worst! you pretty much have to hope they haven't been called and are not that skiddish

#3192008 - 02/10/19 07:04 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
mg4201 Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario Canada
Well done. Nice stache

#3192319 - 02/11/19 11:46 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
DesertRam Offline

Loc: Las Cruces, NM USA
Brrrr. I'm shivering just looking at that 'stache! My blood's way too thin for that kind of weather.

#3192435 - 02/12/19 05:24 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
Pa. Mick Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Southern shores of Lake Erie ,...
Nicely done under brutal conditions !!!

#3192636 - 02/13/19 06:12 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
fratri Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
WTG.... I like those pics... smile

#3192637 - 02/13/19 06:25 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
mifox Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Michigan
You coyote hunters in AB and SK really have it great. You have vast expanses of unspoiled (undeveloped) wild lands to hunt on and the most beautiful and valuable coyotes on earth. And your provinces don't allow non-resident coyote calling except under specific circumstances. My state is diced up into 1 mile squares and almost all of them are developed as PRIVATE parcels with houses, mini-farms, small businesses, factories, etc. Competition from other coyote callers ( and trappers and hound hunters) is pretty intense in many places. Those photos say it all. Thanks for posting!!

#3192687 - 02/14/19 02:08 AM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
Yotarunner Online
Seasoned Member

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm glad you enjoyed the story and pics.

#3192688 - 02/14/19 02:16 AM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: mifox]
Yotarunner Online
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted By: mifox
You coyote hunters in AB and SK really have it great. You have vast expanses of unspoiled (undeveloped) wild lands to hunt on and the most beautiful and valuable coyotes on earth. And your provinces don't allow non-resident coyote calling except under specific circumstances. My state is diced up into 1 mile squares and almost all of them are developed as PRIVATE parcels with houses, mini-farms, small businesses, factories, etc. Competition from other coyote callers ( and trappers and hound hunters) is pretty intense in many places. Those photos say it all. Thanks for posting!!

I am well aware of how lucky I am to live where I do and am glad for the opertunities I have to hunt here. Though I do have to do my share of door knocking to get to hunt the lands I'm on.
I could also say I'm quite jealous of you guys in the states for your firearms laws. I would love to take my ar15 for predators with a 20 Rd mag and a suppressor but sadly I'm stuck shooting it only at a range restricted to 5 rounds and a muzzle brake.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Glad you liked it.

#3192882 - 02/14/19 09:15 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
mg4201 Offline

Originally Posted By: Yotarunner
Originally Posted By: mifox

I am well aware of how lucky I am to live where I do and am glad for the opertunities I have to hunt here. Though I do have to do my share of door knocking to get to hunt the lands I'm on.
I could also say I'm quite jealous of you guys in the states for your firearms laws. I would love to take my ar15 for predators with a 20 Rd mag and a suppressor but sadly I'm stuck shooting it only at a range restricted to 5 rounds and a muzzle brake.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! Glad you liked it.

Try the new WK180C. All the fun of an AR none of the restricted BS.

#3192883 - 02/14/19 09:26 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: Yotarunner]
.204Dan Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: East Central Alberta
There are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi

#3192903 - 02/14/19 10:54 PM Re: dog days of winter. [Re: .204Dan]
mg4201 Offline

Originally Posted By: .204Dan
There are non restricted options but at a price, usually twice the cost of a nice restricted semi

The WK180C is 1095.00
CAD.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Redfrog 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.