Frigid Friday

.204Dan

It been awhile since i have had time to get out there and spend a morning calling coyotes. This past week has been the coldest spell all winter and we all know coyotes turn on when the mercury drops. it has been bellow -30c for a few days now but this morning is slightly less cold -27c. with light snow and a 10-20km north wind.

On my way in to my first spot I see 2 yotes from the road, an encouraging sign. I take a 2 track road that is impassible with lots of snow but isnt there yet. I dont even bother pulling off the road thats how remote this one is. As im walking in 2 moose emerge from the bush and stop to watch.

I pick a spot somewhat out of the wind and do my best not to freeze while sitting in the snow. this spot yields no takers and its back to the truck i go. I stop not far from the truck and try calling the other direction and what do you know, mule deer to the rescue! ohh well it was fun watching them snort and stomp their way over to fend off that fake coyote that was having rabbit for breakfast.

I make stand #3 further down the road and spot a coyote on a hillside on my way in. Try as i might to get to a good position without him spotting me theres not much that escapes a keen eye. he trots further up the hill and stares me down, a 300+ yard poke came so close just a hair over his back. I try a stand there despite the gunshot but nothing comes in, i walk over to where the coyote was and see the bullet mark in the snow did not miss by much.

Driving to stand #4 and i see a coyote running across the field, a little further in i hide the truck and give er a go but nothing here again. Its now 1pm and im hungry and cold but decide to make one more before calling it a day.

#5 and i walk a short way off the road and find a hill with a decent view. Not expecting much here but i hardly have the call out of my hand and here comes a nice little female running in hard. I cant stop here with barks and shes nearly at me and my wind. im following here in the scope hoping she gives me a shot, 5 seconds of standing is all i need and she goes down in the fresh snow.

Well thats awesome i was already making peace with not coming home with anything today. Well now im not so cold as i drag the coyote back to the truck.

You deserve that coyote! Well done.
Doing 5 stands takes commitment in this weather. I found today's wind made it feel brutal out there but I was at work. If I would have been hunting, maybe it wouldn't have felt so bad
smile.gif

Congrats.

I had layers on for sure and did a bit of walking to get warm to and from the stands, but I kept thinking, this is still better than being stuck at home.

Originally Posted By: Yotarunnernice! those 300 yard shots are kicking your butt this year.
Lol ya but i did find a rock on that hill and took a shot at it and i was 1 moa high i held 4 and 3 was the ticket so your right a guy just needs to shoot more

Back