Toning down an ar15 as much as possible?

fxred

I currently have a nitro 30 on a dpms Oracle and it is fairly loud due to the action with excess gas (I assume). I have an adjustable gas block on the way to tame it down some. I just wanted to know if anyone has noticed a significant difference using 22 cal end caps or any of the stealth buffers from armaspec or jp enterprise. I am just trying to go as low as I can at my right ear. Looking for any tricks or advice people may have.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The gas block will help with port pop. In my opinion the 22 endcap is not worth it on a gas gun as it may increase port pop due to more backpressure. I had a 22 cap on my Omega but I switched back to a 30 cap for that reason.

I don't know if I would say the JP SCS is "quieter" in terms of being better for your hearing, but it certainly sounds much nicer. Gets rid of all that "sproing" noise. If you don't mind spending the $$ it's a nice upgrade. FYI, JP recommends the H2 version when shooting suppressed.

The other thing I have heard suggested is the LMT Enhanced bolt carrier but I haven't tried it just do to the price.

Most suppressors and end caps suppress to about the same amount. If you really want to hear if your action is that loud, try a subsonic round. A bit of advice, shoot a sub through your unsuppressed gun, on paper, and make sure the bullet is not keyholing. If it is going straight, then try shooting a sub through your suppressor. That will really let you hear what sound your action is making.

A LOT of the "noise" is probably still from the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Personally, unless you are running subsonics regularly, I wouldn't worry too much about action noise. The sound of the shot breaking the sound barrier is a LOT louder than that. You might be opening Pandora's box trying to tinker with your action and your reliability might suffer.

I added the gas block and it helped some... I was comparing my ar to a bolt action 204 I have that is 100% hearing safe... I will find out more after a few more tests.

Well some of the noise is from the gas and the natural dwell timing of the gun and there isn’t anything you can do about that. You did about all you could with the gas block. The closing of the bolt is also necessary. About all you cam eliminate would be spring twang.

Bolt guns force the gas in one direction, through the suppressor. AR’s go in a couple directions, one suppressed, the others, not.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoWell some of the noise is from the gas and the natural dwell timing of the gun and there isn’t anything you can do about that. You did about all you could with the gas block. The closing of the bolt is also necessary. About all you cam eliminate would be spring twang.

Bolt guns force the gas in one direction, through the suppressor. AR’s go in a couple directions, one suppressed, the others, not.

Yep, AR's are just loud. Some guys will shoot one suppressed and say it isn't worth it but I think they are very wrong. Yes it is still loud but it is 2 to 3 times quieter suppressed, which is a huge difference.
Gas system length may make some difference too. My buddy has a bone stock carbine length 16" with a YHM Ti 556 can. My midlength 16" with adj gas block, a JP H2 scs, and an Omega is noticeably quieter with the same ammo back to back. Too many variables there to pinpoint the difference but it is noticeably quieter, from the shooters point of view anyway.

My 18" barrel was noticeably quieter with the 30 harvester than my Sig 556. When I was sighting in with the harvester, a couple friends thought it sound like a Ruger 10/22.

Originally Posted By: spotstalkshootMy 18" barrel was noticeably quieter with the 30 harvester than my Sig 556. When I was sighting in with the harvester, a couple friends thought it sound like a Ruger 10/22.

Bingo! Your suppressor makes a big difference. The more the back pressure from your suppressor, the more noise.

But find a good combo and they are nice together. I run a YHM 30 cal stainless Phantom on my PTG-10 in .308 and they work great together. Not too much back pressure, I don't catch anything from the charging handle.

Back