New 250

jus10

Hello everyone! My first post so please excuse if it's already been discussed. I am going to be getting a new 22-250 and am desperately needing some advice. Primary varmints are going to be coyotes, fox, and bobcat. I'm trying to be more fur friendly as I found out my 6.5 was not so friendly. I'm debating between the following rifles.
Savage 12 BVSS
Savage 12 var (pretty much the same as the previous just low profile I believe)
Bergara B14 HMR
Tikka T3X Varmint

I plan on just using factory ammo (hornady vmax 40-55gr)
I really want the Bergara, but am concerned about the 1:9 twist. I figure that would be fine with the 55gr vmax but I'm kinda seeing the pattern of 250's usually are 1:12 or 1:14.
Any advice or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you

All your choices are good but the Tikka Varmint would be high on the list. I had one years ago and it was a hammer. Little bitty groups were the norm. Action smooth as glass and a great trigger.

My preference leans to lighter models for packing and calling.
I am a Tikka user for a decade and a half of trouble free accuracy and performance. They have taken a lot of coyotes for me.
The T3X has some good new features, the best being the interchangeable grip.
1-14 is a standard factory twist for light bullets (35 to 55/60 gr) that the .22-250 was originally designed for.
This combination works well for me and I regularly take coyotes out to 400 yds with 50 gr bullets. Have shot targets @ 600 yds with the same.
Tikka also sells a .22-250 with 1-8 twist for heavier bullets.
I feel the 1-8 is less finicky than the 1-9 twist.
The 1-8 will shoot the light bullets well also but a faster twist can reduce barrel life.

It appears you are looking at fuller contour barrels, that is all well and good but are you planning on walking a fair amount with this rifle?

I have a fair share of sportier and varminter barrels on my rifles and I have plenty of experience with both on coyotes and really appreciate both, however the older I get the more I lean towards rifles that are lighter. It’s kind like stairs, every year they seem to get taller!

Just my .02 worth

Three44s

Tikka T3X Varmint would be my first choice. I have a friend who uses one exclusively for varmints and loves it. He does a lot of walking calling etc. so he says on this topic hold a lot of weight with me.

Thank you all for your input. Weight is not really an issue. Most walks are within 300 yds. I'll throw a sling on it and keep on trucking. It kinda seems like the scale is leaning towards tikka. I'll keep checking back. I'm hoping to hear some feedback from someone with the bergara experience. The one review I read on budsgunshop.com about it reads as follows, "It loves Hornady Varmint 50 grain above all others hands down. Sub MOA by a lot just like promised by Bergara"

I like the look of the Begara but have not shot one. It will be a bit heavier than some but should be really stable. It really depends on what characteristics are more important to you. If I get a Begara it would be to supplement my AR for open ground when longer shots with more time to take them are likely.

Speaking from experience,the Tikka Varmint was one of the most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever owned. Savages, Remington's, Howa's and a few others, the Tikka was boringly accurate. Maybe mine was just exceptionally accurate, IDK???

Just picked up a Bergara "Ridge" 22/250, 9-twist. From Grab-a-gun.
It loves the Sierra 65gr Gamekings.(less than 1/2 moa), The Muzzles already threaded for a Suppressor, Trigger is awesome for a Hunting Rifle, Action is smooth as Glass.
Did I mention I like it!

Last edited:
I have the Tikka and would recommend the same.
As a second choice, a high school buddy of mine is a gun smith and I asked him companies to watch for, he is very high on Bergera , so give it a good look.
He does a lot of long range shooting as well, and has quite a bit of experience,seeing we had our 40th reunion last summer.

I have a couple Tikka's in various calibers and they all shoot. If you're going to do some walking and want something lighter take a look at the Tikka Superlites...last I knew only Sportsman's Warehouse and Cabelas. Got my wife a 243 and it is stupid accurate, especially with 75gr bullets.

On the other hand...there is Bergara. I picked up a used one in 300 Win Mag, Ridge model so #5 contour barrel and just under 8lb out of the box. Rifle had 12 shots through it when I got it last fall so I treated it as new...cleaned, 5shots, cleaned, etc, etc. Every range and cleaning trip it continues to get better, last group with hunting loads was 1.3" at 250 yards. One thing I did find is mine likes one type of brass, was reloading mixed headstamp and point of impact would move half to one inch depending on brand of brass. The action is smooth too, like they took a Remington action and made it right from the factory. Mounts are the same for Bergara and Remington, so anything you might have transfers over. It comes in about 10.5 lb with scope and loaded, with the muzzle break it came with it recoils like a 243.

The next rifle I buy will be a real choice between Tikka and Bergara!

I own a Tikka T3x and shoot the hornady 55. It is a great gun and will shoot better than I. I looked at a Savage, but the weight of gun was too heavy for me. Good luck!

I hope this is not considered a hijack(but I think its pretty much along the same lines) my question is as some guys have sort of pointed out, is a sporter weight 250 of some kind almost a must in your arsenal if you want to hunt coyotes?? I have a Remington 700HB 250 but it was getting a bit heavy to drag around a few years back. Thanks

The thing I do not understand is twist rates of 9 & 10 for a 22-250.
The 22-250 made to complete with the 220 Swift / 1-12 or 14 / 4000fps.
I shoot 223 at 3600 fps, poly 40gr pill.
I know, I like 6mm/243 or 257/6,5mm.
243 Winchester or 257 Roberts even 250-3000
Things now are just turn around, anymore.

Originally Posted By: jus10Thank you all for your input. Weight is not really an issue. Most walks are within 300 yds. I'll throw a sling on it and keep on trucking. It kinda seems like the scale is leaning towards tikka. I'll keep checking back. I'm hoping to hear some feedback from someone with the bergara experience. The one review I read on budsgunshop.com about it reads as follows, "It loves Hornady Varmint 50 grain above all others hands down. Sub MOA by a lot just like promised by Bergara"

I have a Ruger Hawkeye All Wether in a 250 that also loves the Hornsby 50 grain. 1”-1”1/4 groups at 200 yards with the superformance Ammo.

Back