Anyone use an AR for predator hunting?

andersce100

I was thinking that using an AR would make for a faster follow up shot (yea I know, hit them with the first shot
thumbup1.gif
but sometimes that easier said than done).
mad.gif

My coyote gun is a 22-250 bolt gun and it would be nice to stick with that caliber but I'm finding that there's not a big selection of AR rifles in 22-250.

Anyone use the AR platform to do their predator hunting? Do you feel like your AR is an advantage when the coyotes are inside 200 yards and a stationary shoot doesn't present it's self. Do you feel like you're at a disadvantage when the shot is long (like 300 - 400 yards for me that's stretching the .223 a little to far). If you were going to setup your dream AR for coyotes what caliber would you choose?

I know the armed forces shoot at some loooong distances (600 - 1000 yards) but they don't have to worry about killing the target while still not blowing up the fur.

I appreciate your willingness to share your hard won experience.

Thanks
Chris

Last edited:
I use an AR frequently for coyote hunting. A 223 works best in my opinion because the recoil doesn’t bump you out of your scope for those fast follow up shots. I have had several runners at like 400 yards with this caliber, but at 300 yards and in I am money with that rifle. I have a semi- auto 6.5 Creedmoor that I haven’t used for coyotes, but I wonder if the match bullets may be a little gentler on the fur than traditional hunting billets. A semi-auto in 243 or 6.5 Grendel maybe a good logical choice also for big country predator hunting.

I use an AR most of the time. The exception is in spots where I think shots might be on the long side or it's windy.

The AR is faster on follow up shots on a single coyote than the bolt gun.

I have mixed feelings on if the 223 AR is faster on follow up shots on multiple coyotes. On one hand if the first coyote drops I can get on the second coyote and get a shot off on him faster than I can with my bolt gun. On the other hand I have more coyotes spin, run a bit, or otherwise require my attention a bit longer with the 223 than with a 22-250, 243, 6mm, etc. The 223 is absolutely a good coyote round and does the job, I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying if my shot placement is a little back or otherwise off the mark of perfect, the added shock from the bigger or faster bullet seems to shut them down faster. As ranges increase and velocity drops this seems to happen more often.

I have always used 50-60gr bullets in the 223 on coyotes, mostly 55gr SP, BT, or V max bullets. Once I find some coyotes to cooperate I'm in the process of trying the 73gr ELD-M bullet from my favorite AR. I'm curious if the added bullet weight shuts coyotes down faster, and if the added BC makes windy day hits easier.

If you are worried about the 223 but wanting to try the AR the 22 Nosler looks like a heck of a choice. Nearly 22-250 speeds but made to work through the AR platform. If my heavy bullet experiment isn't all I hope one I'm probably going to end up with a 22 Nosler or 224 Valkyrie upper.

Assault weapons have NO practical hunting application and should be reserved for military use only.

The only thing you need is a single shot shotgun. Shoot it straight up in the air and the coyotes will fall over dead from fear.

Have used a few different flavors of AR's over the years (friends, .223 and .20 Practical), loved them both.

I just ordered my upper kit from D-Tech and will be very SOON, in possession of my first AR, in .223/5.56 (with a few more in the planning stages, just don't tell the wife
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted By: andersce100I was thinking that using an AR would make for a faster follow up shot (yea I know, hit them with the first shot
thumbup1.gif
mad.gif

You don't miss as much if you let them come in to 50 yards or less. Most of mine are killed at less than 50 yards. Not very often I shoot beyond 100 yards at them. Call them in close. As for your question, I prefer the AR and it has become very popular in the predator hunting world.

I went thru the "Rambo" stage once. I grew out of it. Only bolt guns for me.

An AR is uncomfortable to carry, heavy and you have that bolt slam when you get out of the truck. I think they suck, but to each his own.

Originally Posted By: andersce100I was thinking that using an AR would make for a faster follow up shot (yea I know, hit them with the first shot
thumbup1.gif
mad.gif

My coyote gun is a 22-250 bolt gun and it would be nice to stick with that caliber but I'm finding that there's not a big selection of AR rifles in 22-250.

Anyone use the AR platform to do their predator hunting? Do you feel like your AR is an advantage when the coyotes are inside 200 yards and a stationary shoot doesn't present it's self. Do you feel like you're at a disadvantage when the shot is long (like 300 - 400 yards for me that's stretching the .223 a little to far). If you were going to setup your dream AR for coyotes what caliber would you choose?

I know the armed forces shoot at some loooong distances (600 - 1000 yards) but they don't have to worry about killing the target while still not blowing up the fur.

I appreciate your willingness to share your hard won experience.

Thanks
Chris

Do I use and AR? YES! Do I "need" to? No. I drop plenty of coyotes with my shotgun. That being said, I enjoy running an AR for coyotes. But do I save their fur? No. I run a .308 as my primary coyote crusher and sometimes swap in my 6.5 Grendel. I wouldn't call either of those fur friendly.

Do I find the AR as an advantage when a standing shot doesn't present? No, not really. I try to get them to stop when at all possible. Can I get a faster follow up? Yeah, but I know some guys can throw a bolt pretty quick.

As for my "DREAM" AR, I would go with a .50 cal LASER. No drift, no drop, easy on the fur.

Good luck, swing over to the AR forum and check out what the guys run over there.

Mo

I've shot coyotes with an AR but I'm a bolt gun guy. It's just what I'm used to so I've gotten to where I can work the bolt and get back on target in a hurry. Faster than an AR? Probably not but if I'm gonna miss I'm gonna miss either way. I'll just do it a little faster with an AR. And I'll keep throwing rounds at it if I have more than 4 or 5 rounds so I'll just waste more ammo. I'm better off with a bolt action myself but either one will work.

Do I feel like I'm at a disadvantage with a .223 when a coyote is at 400 yards? Oh yeah. I don't let 'em get that far. And if they are that far I don't shoot. It don't matter what I'm shootin as far as that goes. If I can't put the crosshairs on fur and kill the critter wearing it I'm not real keen on shootin at it.

The further they are when they die,the further I have to carry them back. And that sucks.

Last edited:
My two coyote guns are an old heavy Bushmaster Varminter AR, and a Tikka 22-250. Both guns get plenty of use during the season. For me its just a decision I make when I leave the house, based on what stands I am going to hunt, and walking involved. Also, If I am getting lots of coyotes hanging out, and not wanting anything I am offering, I will take the Tikka as I am confident in taking the longer shot with it. I consider a long shot 350 yards. This year most of my shots have been 125 yards or less. Both are great guns and shoot very well..

Originally Posted By: btech29I went thru the "Rambo" stage once. I grew out of it. Only bolt guns for me.

An AR is uncomfortable to carry, heavy and you have that bolt slam when you get out of the truck. I think they suck, but to each his own. Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotnope. nobody here uses a machine gun for poor little coyotes.
thumbup1.gif

You guys are hilarious.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LazerusAssault weapons have NO practical hunting application and should be reserved for military use only.

The only thing you need is a single shot shotgun. Shoot it straight up in the air and the coyotes will fall over dead from fear.

OK Biden.
tongue_smilie.gif

I thought Rambo used an m60, and exploding broadheads from his bow. I'd like to try those exploding broadheads.

I like to mix it up. Sometimes an AR15 and sometimes a bolt or shotgun. If I think I am going to shoot further than 200+ yards, I like a bolt action. I prefer to call them in close 25-75 yards. I also like to stay under 200 with a 223. I don't remember ever shooting one at 400 yards or further. 300 to me is a long poke. I occasionally will take a longshot, 350 or so. I really like my 6x6.8, it hammers coyotes at reasonable distances, but the ole 223 is just practical. So many good bullet choices and you can get brass cheap. I never slam the bolt. Luckily I have never had a fail to fire, maybe I over clean my rifles.

I generally carry my rifles slung across my back, muzzle down. The suppressor makes the muzzle heavy IMO. Weight isn't too big of an issue, I rarely walk further than 1/2 mile to a stand. But yea, I have some bolt actions that are noticeably lighter than my AR's.

Back