Best predator hunting pack

cjclemens

Lately, I've been frustrated with my lack of organization when I go out hunting. I've come to the conclusion that I either need a good hunting pack to carry gear out into the field, or I'm carrying too much junk with me and I need to leave some of it behind.

When I go out, I'm usually carrying the following:
Rifle
Shooting sticks
E-Caller
Browning Strutter folding chair
Mojo Critter Decoy

So - am I trying to carry too much around? If not, whats the best pack for carrying my gear?

This works for me, keeps my hands free for hiking/ski/snowshoe poles, riding the bike and dragging coyotes. shooting sticks go in the scabbard with the rifle decoy and spare hand call go in the pouch on the scabbard and it has loops under the pouch for spare ammo. M_1 Bandit goes in my pocket or CS-24 in a shoulder bag so I can reach it to place it with out having to take off the pack.

9bVQWX.jpg

Keep these ideas comming please guys. Im in the same boat. Been looking mostly at badlands, eberlestock or tenzing pp15. OP, if you havent yet, google those and take a look. I will likely end up with one of the 3, just havent been swayed heavily towards one specifically yet.

I have an eberlestock X1A that I am not using. Works great with a conventionally stocked rifle or shotgun, but an AR sits a little high. Send me an e-mail sruchala@verizon.net and we can work out a deal. I can send pics but haven't figured out how to post them.

I do like the look of the Eberlestock X1A, but I do most of my coyote hunting with an AR.

Is anyone using a basic tactical pack like the 5.11 Rush? It's not as fancy as the purpose built hunting packs, but it seems like its more in line with my budget...

I purchased the Eberlestock Gun Runner pack this fall and for calling it is awesome. I added a seat to the bottom (like turkey vests have). It is nice having it attached

I have the same pack, the Gunrunner, and I like it a lot. My only complaint is the scabbard really isn't adequately sized for a decent sized rifle with big scope and a suppressor.

I use the Slydog pack and chair combo. The pack is large enough to hold E-callers, decoys, or whatever you may need, the ground chair works awesome. Thick butt pad and back rest with fold out rear legs. I'm real happy with it.

Last edited:
I have tried a bunch and ended up with 3 main packs given certain situations. #1 is my home made bucket seat. 5 gal pail with shoulder harness attached. I use this seat when I know I'll need to be up a bit higher for visibility. The pail carries gear nicely and makes for a good seat. Next is my turkey vest with build in seat/ backrest. This kit allows me to haul lots of gear including a full sized decoy in the back pouch. Lastly is my run and gun kit. This consists of a stadium seat with zippers sewn up both sides to create a pocket. I attached two cheap rifle slings as back pack shoulder straps and necessary gear goes in the "pocket".adding a carabiner to the handle allows it to be clipped to anything should carrying it back pack style not be needed. Small,light and convenient if you don't need to haul tones of stuff. I also have the gunrunnerll but it's always been just to much pack for my needs and accessing items is harder as the pack is a top loader. My main coyote rifle is carried using a back pack type sling and my sticks are clipped to my pack or carried in hand. If I bring a shotty as well it rides out front in top down front ready carry.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensLately, I've been frustrated with my lack of organization when I go out hunting. I've come to the conclusion that I either need a good hunting pack to carry gear out into the field, or I'm carrying too much junk with me and I need to leave some of it behind.

When I go out, I'm usually carrying the following:
Rifle
Shooting sticks
E-Caller
Browning Strutter folding chair
Mojo Critter Decoy

So - am I trying to carry too much around? If not, whats the best pack for carrying my gear?

I would highly suggest Eberlestock, lot's of options and with the integral scabbard it's an awesome option.

I use the 5.11 rush 24 tactical pack in multicam.5.11 does not make a waist belt for the pack.I bought a wide waist belt off Amazon.the pack is about 5 years old and use it for Predator hunting ALOT.the pack has held up great with no problems.has plenty of room and many options for attacking items to the outside.one thing I found that works great if you carry a rifle with a sling is to put the sling on your shoulder and put the sternum strap around the strap and attach the sternum clips.hope this helps with your needs.

Can't go wrong with a Eberlestock. I use one when I head into the mountains here in Va. Believe it or not we got mountains and you can go a long way. Also used it in Wyoming and Montana. If you can expand my picture you may be able to see the Eberlestock with my rifle on my back.

But when hunting coyotes or cats I have a Gander Mtn. two piece pack. Came with a water compartment but it leaked so I just use the space for storage. This is my go to pack. Keep it loaded with calls, batteries, hat with attached face-mask, gloves, carabina holds a rubber seat. A lot of pockets for extra ammo, flashlights water bottle. There is a cover over the main compartment where shooting sticks or tripods can be lashed. Overall a light weight pack that you can grab in a minute and have everything you need.

Unfortunately the only way to get one is e-bay as they do occasionally show up.

Last edited:
Back