Any reason not to use 50gr vmax?

Davidsavoie

Hey all,

I just picked up a new 22-250 (savage model 10 predator from a few years ago), and got everything sighted in. This is a new caliber for me, in the past i've owned .17hmr, 7mm, and a few other deer sized rifles, but this is the first coyote rifle.

Everything is shooting well with hornady factory ammo. I had the 50gr vmax varmint express available in 50rd boxes at my local store so i started there. If i do my part holes are touching at 50/100 yards (furthest i've had a chance to shoot it so far).

Is there any reason not to use this bullet for coyote? If i do my part is this likely to wreck hides? I haven't had one come closer than 100yd or so, and 150-200 is pretty typical of where I see them (across crop fields in far treelines/wood edges).

Thanks!

From everything I've read the 40 and 50gr V-max aren't stout enough for coyote and more designed to shoot smaller varmints. I've never taken the chance on them in anything smaller than 24 caliber for coyotes.

The 52gr Speer Flatbase HP is my go to bullet for the 22-250

Originally Posted By: AWSFrom everything I've read the 40 and 50gr V-max aren't stout enough for coyote and more designed to shoot smaller varmints.There's been plenty of discussion right here about success with the 40gr Vmax specifically. Recently.

One well known PM user regularly slays coyotes with the 223 40gr Vmax and posts a ton of pics with dogs stacked deep. Very deep. Here's what he has to say about 40gr Vmax:

40007606193_7b11a6edd3_c.jpg

It's true the OP is asking about a 22-250, not 223. But OP also says his normal shots are 150-200 yards which by that distance slows the bullets down to roughly 223 rifle velocities at shorter "normal" calling distances. Not terribly different.

As usual, the guys who trash the 223 40gr Vmax are often the ones who admit they've never tried it. And some of these guys keep repeating their opinions over and over, perpetuating the misinformation.

I've killed quite a few coyotes with 50 grain Vmaxes out of my .223. They may be a little rougher on fur coming out of a 250, but I'd say it's worth a shot. You know they shoot good and that will make you confident in your shot placement. Just put that bullet in the boiler room and go collect your fur.

I shoot the 50's out of my 22-250 and they anchor coyotes hard. The only thing to be aware of is shot placement is crucial. I like to put the bullet right behind the shoulder blade. Too far back and the bullet risks blowing out the guts and too far forward risks a splash on the shoulder blade. Here is one that was shot facing me at 100 yards with the 50vmax. He just tipped right over and died in this position.

And one of the next guys to post how effective the V-max is says you have to stay off the shoulders because it splashes.

The 22-250 never gets down to 223 velocities at he same distance, to say the 22-250 reaches the same velocity as the 223 at 150 yards must mean you are killing all your coyotes right at the muzzle with your 223.

You can read reams of post across the internet of folks that have had problems with light V-max's splashing on coyotes.

I'm not saying it isn't a great bullet BUT.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AWSYou can read reams of post across the internet of folks that have had problems with light V-max's splashing on coyotes.You sure can read a lot of hot air about these mysterious splashes from folks, like you, with absolutely zero experience in the matter, who simply repeat something they read on the internet.

Originally Posted By: AWSThe 22-250 never gets down to 223 velocities at he same distance, to say the 22-250 reaches the same velocity as the 223 at 150 yards must mean you are killing all your coyotes right at the muzzle with your 223.I never said or implied they get down to the same velocity at the same distance. The OP said his "typical" 22-250 shot is 150-200 yards. The average normal shot for most of us is more like 50-100 yards. Do the math. A 150-200 yard 22-250 impact is similar to a 50-100 yard 223 impact. Is it exactly the same? No. I never said it was. But it's in the same ballpark. Close enough to call the impacts similar.

I like to use a bullet that works well in my bolt guns at 3050 fps to 4100.

55g nosler ballistic tip
55g Sierra of sorts, exclude the Sierra Blitz king

In a 223, the old 55g Winchester SP(26.5g of Win 748) with the cannalure kills like a bolt of lightening(3050 fps), and the coyote looks like you sucked the wind out of him, but a loud plop when the bullet hits. Bump the speed up with the 55g Win to a 22/250 level and it just makes pelts look like gut rugs.

My coyote rifle is also a crow rifle. In my 700's, I shoot a hot load of benchmark with a 55g Nosler at 3475 fps that shoots very, very tiny groups...12 Twist, short throat. When I want to blow up a coyote, I switch out to a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz at the same speed...freeking UNBELIEVABLE!!!

People are going to like what they like. 40g Nosler ballistic tips are good at 3800 in a bolt gun 223, but at 200, they are blowing like a kite in the wind. Even the 53g V max at 3475 is wicked on coyotes and crows...way on out there.

Remember, you never see pictures of coyotes that got away, and guys never talk about them.

I have a 223 AI, rem 700, where I shoot a hot load of N133 with 40g Noslers at 4130 fps and shoots bug holes, this is a 300 yard rifle on p. dogs, MAX!

When walking out making stands, average shots will be no further than 80-125 yards where just about anything will work as long as they are shot in the lungs. The only bullet I saw fail was a 60g sierra(3500) that shot holes through coyotes without even a twitch on their part.

The apparent lack of penetration and temporary wound cavity created by the 40's become all too apparent when you hit a coyote 3" behind the diaphram, and this type of shot is where a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz pays off in spades(3350-3500 fps is the envelope for massive coyote destruction with instant killing ability). Shooting coyotes up the azz when they are running away is another example of how heavier bullets pay off. Quartering frontal shots where they are running into you, bullet hits the shoulder and that is the end of penetration with many bullets, not just 40g.

If you like light and fast, I would urge you to try the old school 45g sierra spt that was made for the 220 Swift, it's a killer from any angle. At least use a bullet that will shoot a hole through a coyotes head at 200 yards.

Your hobby, do it your way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

I want to clarify a few things. I have ZERO doubt at the ranges i'm shooting/have available to shoot (out to 300 yd or so) the vmax will penetrate. From what I've seen that round do to wood/small maple trees it'll go a ways before it comes apart. 2-3in of maple and it blows out The back.

I shot a few big raccoons at ranges of 20-50 yards over the last week of the season before that closed, two into the side of the ribs (roughly broadside type shot), two straight on into the chest. One of the rib shots exited, the other did not, but parts of the jacket were under the far side of the hide.

Both chest on shots stayed inside the critter. Both liquefied the insides for a good ways, but nothing exited.

Now, i have very little experience actually handling coyote, how they react to bullets other than the two i've shot with a 7mm. I cant use that here (nor do I want to), as i'd like to keep the next few. But i've got to imagine if the bullet is not blowing up on raccoons (i'd have to imagine they are on the more durable side skin wise), that a coyote isn't going to cause the bullets to blow apart on contact.

There seems to be a difference of opinions on light V-Max. There is only one way to find out for sure. Shoot them and form your own opinion, what's the worst that can happen? If they don't work for YOU, you can change bullets. If they do, you found the right bullet.

That's why there are so many different bullets on the market and this debate has been going on forever.

Good luck and good shooting

Last edited:
AWS,

I agree with that. I just figured i'd ask while I had the time. In my mind, if the lighter 32 and 40gr are working for people out of a 223/204, it would stand to reason that with the right shot the 50gr would as well.

I am not expecting this do be a magic pill for all shots, but with reasonable shot placement only (or the best of my ability to do so). The goal here isn't to blast at any coyote that moves in the hope it goes down. I'd like to take whatever I manage to shoot home, so running shots i'm not comfortable with/poor angles are out for me personally.

Assuming they work, i'd like to stick with this/similar style bullet if i can simply due to the proximity of other farms/how flat it is here.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

While I'm sure it has happened, I can tell you that I have been using the 50gr Vmax for years and years out of a 22-250......and I've never seen a "splash." Have I made some hits that required a follow up? Yep, but I can honestly probably count those on two hands (not counting straight up misses, of course). My experience is this......hit them in the front half, and the entire chest cavity is turned to jello. Straight on shots, they are dead before they hit the ground. I have shot straight into the shoulders, and aside from making an ungodly mess, they died just as fast. Again, just my $.02

Originally Posted By: trimble s6While I'm sure it has happened, I can tell you that I have been using the 50gr Vmax for years and years out of a 22-250......and I've never seen a "splash." Have I made some hits that required a follow up? Yep, but I can honestly probably count those on two hands (not counting straight up misses, of course). My experience is this......hit them in the front half, and the entire chest cavity is turned to jello. Straight on shots, they are dead before they hit the ground. I have shot straight into the shoulders, and aside from making an ungodly mess, they died just as fast. Again, just my $.02

That was my guess as to what would happen based on the other things i've shot with it so far (milk jugs of water, wood, two stray cats that were causing issues, the raccoons).

But i'd also seen enough people saying anything but the perfect magic shot would lead to issues, so i figured it was worth asking.
Then again i've seen a number of people say the .17hmr is worthless outside of plinking, and until this year (and for the past 12) that was my only small game firearm and it's done wonderfully on raccoon, skunk, squirrel, fox, rabbits etc. The right bullet and a good shot matter, and maybe more people are taking marginal shots than I like to think.

Originally Posted By: DavidsavoieThen again i've seen a number of people say the .17hmr is worthless outside of plinking, and until this year (and for the past 12) that was my only small game firearm and it's done wonderfully on raccoon, skunk, squirrel, fox, rabbits etc. The right bullet and a good shot matter, and maybe more people are taking marginal shots than I like to think.

seen many guys say a 17hmr is worthless for coyotes, but not many at all say it is worthless for the other critters you mention?

but if you read enough you will come across guys that say it is the cats meow for coyotes too.

free speech. it is a wonderful thing (sometimes). lol

I dont think i'd ever try and use the .17 on a coyote outside of maybe a trapped one. But i've had plenty say they've shot raccoon etc with them and have them run off (not on here, but in person etc).

So my buddy shoots the 50 grain vmax and loves it in his 22-250. Has quite a pile to show that it does the job. He has a bait pile of sorts(butcher) and all his shots are right at 100 yards. I use the 50 nosler bt in my 22-250. Yet to draw blood with that. I use the 40 nosler bt in my .222 and that was a tiny hole in, no exit and jello inside.

I’ve also dropped 3 coyotes in their tracks with a .17 hmr between 100-150 yards and hit 2 other in the chest at about 100 that ran a good ways before piling up. Just to throw that out there. Haha

Hi Davidsavoie.

I have used 50g vmax in my 22-250 for at least 10 years,with good results. Mind you I probably have not shot the high numbers as some, do to location. But they get the job done and are very accurate out of my rifle.Definitely agree with trimble s6

Hope this is helpful

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI like to use a bullet that works well in my bolt guns at 3050 fps to 4100.

55g nosler ballistic tip
55g Sierra of sorts, exclude the Sierra Blitz king

In a 223, the old 55g Winchester SP(26.5g of Win 748) with the cannalure kills like a bolt of lightening(3050 fps), and the coyote looks like you sucked the wind out of him, but a loud plop when the bullet hits. Bump the speed up with the 55g Win to a 22/250 level and it just makes pelts look like gut rugs.

My coyote rifle is also a crow rifle. In my 700's, I shoot a hot load of benchmark with a 55g Nosler at 3475 fps that shoots very, very tiny groups...12 Twist, short throat. When I want to blow up a coyote, I switch out to a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz at the same speed...freeking UNBELIEVABLE!!!

People are going to like what they like. 40g Nosler ballistic tips are good at 3800 in a bolt gun 223, but at 200, they are blowing like a kite in the wind. Even the 53g V max at 3475 is wicked on coyotes and crows...way on out there.

Remember, you never see pictures of coyotes that got away, and guys never talk about them.

I have a 223 AI, rem 700, where I shoot a hot load of N133 with 40g Noslers at 4130 fps and shoots bug holes, this is a 300 yard rifle on p. dogs, MAX!

When walking out making stands, average shots will be no further than 80-125 yards where just about anything will work as long as they are shot in the lungs. The only bullet I saw fail was a 60g sierra(3500) that shot holes through coyotes without even a twitch on their part.

The apparent lack of penetration and temporary wound cavity created by the 40's become all too apparent when you hit a coyote 3" behind the diaphram, and this type of shot is where a 55g Sierra lead tip blitz pays off in spades(3350-3500 fps is the envelope for massive coyote destruction with instant killing ability). Shooting coyotes up the azz when they are running away is another example of how heavier bullets pay off. Quartering frontal shots where they are running into you, bullet hits the shoulder and that is the end of penetration with many bullets, not just 40g.

If you like light and fast, I would urge you to try the old school 45g sierra spt that was made for the 220 Swift, it's a killer from any angle. At least use a bullet that will shoot a hole through a coyotes head at 200 yards.

Your hobby, do it your way.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman40g Nosler ballistic tips are good at 3800 in a bolt gun 223, but at 200, they are blowing like a kite in the wind.Fake news. 40g NBT drift 4.4" at 200 yards. Compare that to your chosen crow/coyote load 55g NBT which drifts 4.0".

So an extra 0.4" (1%) qualifies it as drifting like a kite in the wind? Come on now.

The 40g NBT actually drifts less than the Sierra 55g Blitz you recommend. And the 55g Winchester you recommend is absolutely terrible compared to everything else.

The 40gr NBT holds it's own just fine in the wind at 200 yards compared to all those other bullets you listed. They are so similar, you would never notice the difference between any of them while in the field calling coyotes.

200 yards is a pretty long shot for most of us coyote callers, it's fair to say that the vast majority of called coyotes are taken at far less than that where drift and BC are completely irrelevent.

The numbers don't lie, but some folks are going to bash the 40gr anyways.

33114597278_b4c9a679b5_c.jpg

Back