AR10 22-250 ???

Why is a 22-250 not offered in a standard AR10? I know there are some manufacturers offering AR's in 22-250, but they modify the receiver and take special magazines and such. It seems that if a 308 and 243 can run in an "off the shelf" AR10, then a 22-250 should. Some say the 28* shoulder angle causes feeding issues with the 22-250...kind of hard to believe this when so many variants of different calibers are being run in AR's...all the 6.8 variants, 6mm variants, PPC's, Hagars, etc. Why won't a 22-250 run in the 308/243 magazines? 308 and 243 have 20* shoulders, 22 Nosler has 23* shoulder...don't know what the 6mm AR, LBC, etc run for shoulder angles. Really curious if the feeding issue is the absolute only reason and if in fact it has to do with the 28* shoulder or not...seems that a magazine could be tweaked to work?

The .22-250 has been offered in AR-10 and it had feeding issues after getting more than 5 deep in the mag.
It was also heavier than most wanted, hence one reason for modifying the AR-15, which also was reported to have some feeding issues.

Originally Posted By: tripod3The .22-250 has been offered in AR-10 and it had feeding issues after getting more than 5 deep in the mag.
It was also heavier than most wanted, hence one reason for modifying the AR-15, which also was reported to have some feeding issues.

Thanks, but has anyone determined why feeding issues with more than 5 rounds? I see so many AR15 and AR10 cartridge variants, I find it hard to believe the 22-250 is the only "bast%ard" of the bunch.
I understand it being heavier than an AR15 platform...wasn't aware of a modified AR15 platform in 22-250...is there one? I thought they were modified AR10 platforms...just seems like a standard AR10 with standard 308/243 magazine should be able to work.
Thanks again for your reply.

Last edited:
The combination of the case body taper and barrel extensions not designed to handle this case shape, and magazines designed for a more straight wall case are most of the issues encountered. A modified lower, similar to the AK style AR lowers and the AK style mag would work I think. Curved body on the mag would certainly help. Some OLY's worked, some not very well.

I guess I didn't know they had them in AR15 platforms...just figured since it was a .473 bolt face cartridge that you would have to go to an AR10.

Does Olympic Arms still sell them?

Will check out SD rifles. Thanks

So case body taper figures into it as well...thanks.

The Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM use 473 bolts too. The OLY 22-250 uses a bigger extension and bolt to go with it bigger than the standard AR size.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM use 473 bolts too. The OLY 22-250 uses a bigger extension and bolt to go with it bigger than the standard AR size.

Greg

The O.D. of the OLY 22-250 extension is standard size. The upper is standard.

The bolt is only larger in front of the bolt carrier. It still uses a standard carrier and standard gas rings.

Originally Posted By: midwestpredatorOriginally Posted By: GLShooterThe Bushmaster and the 458 SOCOM use 473 bolts too. The OLY 22-250 uses a bigger extension and bolt to go with it bigger than the standard AR size.

Greg

The O.D. of the OLY 22-250 extension is standard size. The upper is standard.

The bolt is only larger in front of the bolt carrier. It still uses a standard carrier and standard gas rings.

Yep it needs more elbow room in there for their bolt design.

Greg

Wow, lots of good information! It appears that it can be done with some "LIMITED" success...and with a higher price tag too.
I still find it interesting that this cartridge seems to be the one pain in the rear to get it to work. When you look at Whitley's various array of cartridges, all the .22 variations of cartridges, all the 20cal variations of cartridges, 17cal cartridges, PPC cartridges, the various 6.8 wildcats...and the 22-250 is the one that just doesn't work...without modifying the parent platform(s) and/or needing proprietary mags(or not being able to load mags to capacity) and/or charging twice as much as a standard AR10 in 243 or 308.
How did we ever send man to the moon but cannot get the lonely ole 22-250 to work out just right...I tell ya!
smile.gif

most people buy an AR 10 because they want to be a long range sniper. That is why you don't see much interest in a 22-250, the largest group of varmint shooting focused AR shooters on the internet is right here. look at a WSSM from dtech if you want more horse power than a 223.

Too much taper on that case, the mags aren't designed for it. You could have it chambered in 22 Creedmoor, or 22-250 AI, which are close to the same thing, and that should work. Of course there goes the thought of using factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARToo much taper on that case, the mags aren't designed for it. You could have it chambered in 22 Creedmoor, or 22-250 AI, which are close to the same thing, and that should work. Of course there goes the thought of using factory ammo.

Yep, she's a fat bottomed girl. Years ago, when the 7.62x39 started gaining in popularity, several manufacturers starting producing AR's chambered for it. They had a lot of the same problems. Bushmaster came out with a different barrel extension that seemed to solve a lot of the feeding issues. It seems like that information was lost to history because we see a lot of manufacturers trying to reinvent the wheel with these bigger cases and still using the smaller, M4 barrel extension. This causes timing and cycling issues. When manufacturers try to get it to run in an AR-10 platform they have a whole new set of problems mainly that the cartridge is now too short for the bigger receivers. Seems like the 22-250 is just in that no mans land of too big for one and too small for the other. I know that there are companies out there that have tried to get them to work. Some had success, but you paid for it.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoOriginally Posted By: 204 ARToo much taper on that case, the mags aren't designed for it. You could have it chambered in 22 Creedmoor, or 22-250 AI, which are close to the same thing, and that should work. Of course there goes the thought of using factory ammo.

Yep, she's a fat bottomed girl. Years ago, when the 7.62x39 started gaining in popularity, several manufacturers starting producing AR's chambered for it. They had a lot of the same problems. Bushmaster came out with a different barrel extension that seemed to solve a lot of the feeding issues. It seems like that information was lost to history because we see a lot of manufacturers trying to reinvent the wheel with these bigger cases and still using the smaller, M4 barrel extension. This causes timing and cycling issues. When manufacturers try to get it to run in an AR-10 platform they have a whole new set of problems mainly that the cartridge is now too short for the bigger receivers. Seems like the 22-250 is just in that no mans land of too big for one and too small for the other. I know that there are companies out there that have tried to get them to work. Some had success, but you paid for it.
That seems to be the case SnowmanMo...hard to believe that such a popular cartridge is the black sheep of the family. Not prepared to buy one that "might" work to some degree or spend $2k or more to get one that will work but with magazine restrictions of not being to put all 10 rounds in the magazine. It sounds like I need to look at the 22 Creedmoor to get something that will realistically get right at 22-250 velocities. Will have to start researching that angle.

We have seen similar problems with the 6.5 Grendel and the 7.62x39, but those seemed to get ironed out in either the magazine or the extension.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMoWe have seen similar problems with the 6.5 Grendel and the 7.62x39, but those seemed to get ironed out in either the magazine or the extension.
I believe the 22 Creedmoor should function in an AR...it has the ability to equal or surpass the 22-250, has a straight wall case...would it have to be done in an AR10 platform or not? It has a .473 case head...

Originally Posted By: GLShooterThe 22 Creed will run in an AR10 platform just like it's big brother the 6.

Greg
Thanks GL. I assume then that it will run in the magazines without the issue of having to only load 5-7 rounds in a 10 rounder just to get it to feed properly? Wonder why the AR manufacturers don't offer the 6 or 22 Creedmoor in a factory AR10? I thought I read where they were offering these in factory ammo now or real soon.

Back