Adjustable gas block or suppressed bolt carrier?

case-nh

Which one would you go with or prefer. Seems like the bolt carrier is less problematic from what I read. Is there more noise with the bolt carrier though?

I would actually try it first without any mods as it probably will run fine. If it doesn't function then obviously you have no choice. I personally wouldn't consider a gas block or any other mods on a hunting rig or low volume rifle either.

I run adjustable gas blocks. I have friends who run adjustable BCG's and I have tested them. They both do the same job to the same result, but the BCG tends to be more expensive. So if you can gain easy access to you block, I would say the block is the way to go.

Anderson makes a click detent adjustable block for about $60, SLR, Odin, and Seekins are all nice but a bit more spendy.

I run a black rain ordinance adjustable gas block on my RRA and I love it. I didn’t try to run my AR with its original gas block suppressed. I made the switch before my stamp came in. I shot one without an adjustable gas block and had a lot of blow back in my face. I don’t get any blow back with mine.

Just joined this forum as I am trying to learn more on coyote hunting. I have four AR's I have put together and all run adjustable gas block. all run flawlessly. Surprising how little gas you need to get back to the carrier to run smooth. That is my limited experience.

Bought the Bootleg BCG. Works great. 18" rifle with length system. Less recoil and seems slightly quieter also. Buying a second one for 18" rifle with mid length system. These are complete BCG's also. 2 thumbs up.

I run adjustable SLR's on almost all of my rigs. My first range trip, I'll run a wide selection of loads (weak to strong) thru the gun both suppressed and non. I will adjust until the weakest load with cycle the action reliably, then open it just a touch (one click with the SLR) just to be safe. This has worked great for me for at least five years now.

With a suppressor, I could adjust down further, but I don't like to mess with them once I have them set.

I threw a carbine/mid length gas together last fall,when my first ever stamp arrived. Suppressor or not brass ends up about 2'0clock. This has been fine in the cold weather. If I don't shoot it much this summer, I'm leaving as is, no gas adjustability.

I have been happy with a 16in side charger 300 BO with a pistol tube.
It works great with subsonic ammo.
I run Specwar 7,62 and it does not need an adjustable gas block.

Back