Career decisions

Bullmastiff

The past 5 years have been very difficult for me and my family. I was a land surveyor for 16 years, although I do not have my professional license, I am an LSIT (half way through the licensure process) and I was on track to licensure. We moved to Northeast Oregon in 2006 because I got an excellent job with an engineering company and then we built our dream home in 2007-8. I then was laid off in December of 2008. Merry Christmas right? Since then, I have worked for 3 different companies and been laid off from 2 of them. Basically, struggling to survive. This past year I was able to go back to school and get an A.A.S in civil engineering technology. I did very well, but the problem is, no local engineering companies want to hire right now, and they prefer bachelors degrees first. Soooo, I've been sending out resume's farther and farther away. I've had multiple phone interviews, but finally got past the first round and this company wants a face to face interview. Great news, right? The job would be in Glendive, Montana and be in the oil/gas industry. The problem is, I don't see moving my family there, as my wife has a good job here and my kids are enrolled/involved in a great school. Even though I haven't been offered a job yet, I know that someone with my qualifications and abilities are highly sought after, especially over there. My wife just suggested this weekend that maybe I work at the plywood mill again (the one job I didn't get laid off from) and go back to school and get my bachelors degree instead of being separated from the family (there is an on-line program that would build off of my current degree). But if I go over there for a while, I get engineering experience that could help with getting a job back here, and could still do the on line school as well, and make a lot more money than what a plywood mill pays. I'm also trying to figure out how much I would need to make over there to live and make my mortgage payment here, and pay off some debt as well. The thought of being away from my wife and boys greatly bothers me, but I hate being in debt as well. I'm praying every waking moment, but I'm not sure if I'm hearing his response. My brain is tired and I could use some outside wisdom.

Last edited:
Wife has a good job and kids are enrolled in a good school.
That makes me think, stay with your family, work whatever job you can get but keep looking for something in the field you have schooling in. Don`t be discouraged if that `dream job` don`t materialize right away. Keep trying and things will fall into place.
I wish you luck.

I'm guessing that with 16 years in the field, you must be on the high side of 35 at a minimum...Even with a degree and certification, I think you will find that many current companies will be slow to pick up on your skills, as most are looking for younger guys that they can train to their preferences...

Very few people, that have families, function well when separated for any length of time, as both start to feel somewhat cheated/slighted with the missing sharing of daily events..Uprooting kids is harder on them than a lot of people realize and you indicate that your wife has a good job and the kids are currently in a great school...

While not ideal by any means, tightening your belts and cutting back on some flexible expenses while working at a stable job in this economy, IMHO, would be better of the two choices...It's always been my observation that where a person is, career wise, by the time they are about 35 is usually where they will wind up...There are exceptions, but it's not the norm...

Dam tough choice there my friend! Family comes first both in the ways of needing to support them and being there for them and when you have to make a choice of doing one or the other there is nothing easy about that! I choose to move to Alaska and make money years ago left the family behind missed alot of chit with my kids doing it looking at it now wish I would have stuck around

Originally Posted By: HookedWife has a good job and kids are enrolled in a good school.
That makes me think, stay with your family, work whatever job you can get but keep looking for something in the field you have schooling in. Don`t be discouraged if that `dream job` don`t materialize right away. Keep trying and things will fall into place.
I wish you luck.

Good advice.

I know your a praying man, so you have to keep in mind....
God,family and everything else. Sounds like He's talking through your wife to me at this point.

Originally Posted By: OldTurtleI'm guessing that with 16 years in the field, you must be on the high side of 35 at a minimum...Even with a degree and certification, I think you will find that many current companies will be slow to pick up on your skills, as most are looking for younger guys that they can train to their preferences...

Very few people, that have families, function well when separated for any length of time, as both start to feel somewhat cheated/slighted with the missing sharing of daily events..Uprooting kids is harder on them than a lot of people realize and you indicate that your wife has a good job and the kids are currently in a great school...

While not ideal by any means, tightening your belts and cutting back on some flexible expenses while working at a stable job in this economy, IMHO, would be better of the two choices...It's always been my observation that where a person is, career wise, by the time they are about 35 is usually where they will wind up...There are exceptions, but it's not the norm...

I'm on the down hill slide of 42 with 43 coming quick. I was firmly entrenched in my career as a land survey intern and CAD draftsman at the age of 35, but as you know, 2008 happened. What I have learned these past few years is, what used to work, doesn't any more. Experience used to get your foot in the door, any king of degree signaled you knew how to learn. Now, if you don't have at least a bachelor's degree around here, forget it. I thought for sure that getting at least an associates degree would have helped me get some job, but since I graduated in June, I've submitted over 80 resumes and have had 2 interviews. Maybe I take a lesser paying job and start some side business. I went to two of my boy's football games last night. I kept thinking throughout the games, "man, I don't want to miss this." But I'm also tired of the creditors calling as well. I asked my boys this morning if they had a problem with dad going away for a while to work, and of course, they all said they would much rather have me close and work a lesser job. My wife has said she will support me on anything, but doesn't want to move...at all. Our belt has been tightened for quite a while. My wife and I did Dave Ramsey's FPU class and it has helped us tremendously. I just need to get working so I can punch this debt in the face! I had a lot of success in school and did very well. It helped my motivation. I had been having too many negative things happen the last few years and needed some forward momentum. But its like I've stalled out. Thanks for letting me vent and giving me some external views.

FWIW- I have taken work a couple of times away from home just to make some extra $$$
The longest period of time away from home and family was about five weeks. I can tell you IME (for me) it is more difficult than you might imagine.
Another suggestion that might help;
Networking- contacts from previous engineering job; try and call them and see if business has picked up, let them know you now have a degree; ask them if they have heard about openings at other companies in that line of work.
May sound like a strange thing to ask of a former employer but `networking` having people to contact and visit with, get the word out..maybe will open doors somewhere.

Hooked, I've been networking before I graduated. Most of the people I worked with I am in contact with them on LinkIn or Facebook or both. Two of my best friends still work at the two previous companies. The one company, which is in the Portland area, while a great company, is in the Portland area, and I will NOT be moving back to that area again. The other company just hired two new engineers that have bachelors degrees and have both passed the Fundamentals of Engineering exam. Under Oregon law, I can not sit for the FE until I get a bachelors or have 2 years of experience under the supervision of a licensed P.E. They don't look at me at the same level and have told me so in a very nice letter. You have to understand, the part of Oregon I live in is very rural. There are only two engineering companies close, and I have been in constant contact with both. The one, who I used to work for, doesn't seem interested at this point and the other, which I haven't worked for, is a very large company, but its' branch office is new to this area and is growing at a very slow but steady pace. I have to get some experience or I will lose out on what I have worked so hard for.

I've applied to lesser jobs, and they don't want to hire me either, as they look at me as over qualified for their jobs and are afraid I will bolt when given another better paying opportunity. I just had two companies tell me those exact words.

I just got an offer from a company in the MoDak area that will put me on a 32 days on 10 days off rotation. This gives me the opportunity to make 8K+ a month starting and they provide my housing as a benefit. I don't have a lot of choices and I'm drowning in bills. I'm heading to MoDak.

From a guy that spends a bunch of time away, I'd say stay. Money and jobs come and go, family and faith are constant.

I'd finish the degree. It should cement a good future and retirement for you.

Of course, this is just my opinion. But I know how hard it is to be geographically separated from your loved ones.

Sounds like a very good opportunity then. 96k a year and having housing paid...should get things turned around for you before you know it.
I have definitely had to make sacrifices and take chances to advance in my career too.
Hope that the drive back home is not that far for you when you get those days off..in the mean time, pack up the lap-top and stay in touch with Skype.
Never know, that new location just might appeal to wifey and kids too.
Wishing you all the best man.

I think you have received some great advise. Old Turtle is right. I am working as a full time teacher plus two other jobs for the school district and attending graduate school full time. Time to hunt right now is gone. I have not hunted anything in the last 15 months but I hope I am teaching my children how to delay gratification for more opportunities.

If your wife wants you to stay and work the mill, I think there is your answer. Finish your degree and doors will open up.

As was stated, jobs and money come and go, but family and faith do not, and should not. Good luck and it will work out..

Modak MT is only one state over from where you live, so the family can drive to visit on the school vacations and you can go home for 10 days. Try it for 1 year and evaluate it then. Sounds like your wife is on board with you, so that is the main thing.

Well, it's been a while since I've been on the forums. A little over 5 years to be exact. I worked in the oil fields and loved the work. I would be gone for 6-8 weeks at a time and then home for 2 weeks. That was the hard part. Once, I came home and I was an 1" taller than my oldest son, 8 weeks later, he was 1" taller than me! When the price of crude crashed in the summer of 2015, my job started to peter out. Luckily, I got onto a nice job at a local Eastern Oregon city. I've learned so much over the years, but one thing stands out. Don't be afraid to fail, because you might not! I look at things differently now. Even at the age of 48, I still feel and act as a kid. I did some coyote hunting and prairie dog shooting in North Dakota and East Montana. I haven't done any lately, but my boys (got three) are getting the bug. They all want to build AR's (oldest just finished his). I'll be around as I have some questions on builds.

Back