Close, but no cigar...

Flesh Eater

This is for Slickerthansnot, who probably already saw this, because he is stalking me on the internet. But, since I rarely share stories here, I figured this is good one to share.

This season I had planned on chasing cats every weekend the season was open, but the long drive, long walks in deep snow up and down small mountains always gave me a reason to put it off. Well, the last Saturday was this weekend and with a good break from seriously cold weather I felt it might be a good time to go.

I took the light and bipod off the .17 Hornet (less weight), grabbed some hand calls and my turkey chair and headed northeast. I arrived at the first spot around 10ish in the morning, and the truck temp read low 20's and climbing. Perfect.

The walk down in seemed hopeful. Fresh turkey tracks everywhere, fresh porcupine, and some tracks that looked predatory in nature, but a little too filled in to be sure.

At this spot is a rock that over looks a brushy valley. It doesn't afford the greatest long distance view, but through trees, logs, and rocks some spots are 100 yards...give or take. So, I sat the turkey chair down and proceeded to call. I don't know much about cats, but it seems I keep reading about constant calling, so that's what I did.

After 30 minutes of calling, and nothing to show for but frozen butt cheeks, I decided to move. I scanned the area once more, stood up, and packed my stuff up. As I walked down off the rock I glanced up and saw a bobcat stand up behind a log within 50 yards! It caught me off guard and I wasted a second or two doing nothing but staring in awe. Used to strictly night hunting, I did what I would normally do. I got on one knee, rifle ready, grabbed the rabbit call, and tried to persuade it from leaving. No such luck. Looking back, I should've probably taken a trotting shot.

But, within seconds of laying into the rabbit call, 3 coyotes came barging in, throwing me for another What the heck! moment! The two back coyotes were sniffing around where the cat was, and the third was running into my lip squeaks (purely habitual from calling fox).

I remember clearly thinking, "This is the most beautiful coyote I've ever seen, and will make a great full mount!" as I watched the coyote in the scope trot past rocks and trees, headed to get dead center in front of me. I lost two coyotes already this season with this rifle and load (20 grain Winchester Varmint X for cats), so I wanted to have a PERFECT shot.

Well, wouldn't you know, the ole Pennsylvania wind just wouldn't let me have it. It swirled and whipped my left cheek as it blew over my back, right to them.

As quickly as they came, they were gone, not even giving me a glance over their shoulder at my barks! To make matters worse, a few minutes later while trying to set up on the cat again I bumped a grey fox at 125 yards who only stayed still long enough to make me aware of it's presence.

So, no fur, no pics, no video, but I experienced one of my best calling experiences I've ever had. Not to mention those 3 were my first coyotes to come in during the day with snow on the ground!

I'm thinking I need a rifle or head mounted camera...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterThis is for Slickerthansnot, who probably already saw this, because he is stalking me on the internet.

what the f are you talking about?

stalking you? get a grip son.

Originally Posted By: Pa. MickI’m thinking you need to start pulling the trigger !!! Lol, better luck in the future !

Those coyotes never stopped. They came in and kept searching for something. I was hunting in the woods and when I came down off the rock I was eye level with boulders, brush and logs. 10 more minutes sitting still and I would’ve been above them and everything with a sniper’s shot opportunity. Haha!

Calling in these animals is so much different during the day. I’m too used to hiding in darkness behind a red light.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh EaterThis is for Slickerthansnot, who probably already saw this, because he is stalking me on the internet.

Go back and read the last message you sent me. Senile?

[quoteFlesh Eater][=quote=SlickerThanSnot]Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterThis is for Slickerthansnot, who probably already saw this, because he is stalking me on the internet.

[/quote]

Go back and read the last message you sent me. Senile? [/quote]

oh. you mean this one

Quote:i am stalking you until you kill a coyote. i will not stop until that day/night.

now get with it.
tongue_smilie.gif

welllll, that^^^^ was said as a joke and i hope you are intelligent enough to figure that out. but if not, no biggie. or call the sheriff and file a complaint.
tt2.gif

signed, senile and deaf too.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot[quoteFlesh Eater][=quote=SlickerThanSnot]Originally Posted By: Flesh EaterThis is for Slickerthansnot, who probably already saw this, because he is stalking me on the internet.

Go back and read the last message you sent me. Senile? [/quote]

oh. you mean this one

Quote:i am stalking you until you kill a coyote. i will not stop until that day/night.

now get with it.
tongue_smilie.gif

welllll, that^^^^ was said as a joke and i hope you are intelligent enough to figure that out. but if not, no biggie. or call the sheriff and file a complaint.
tt2.gif

signed, senile and deaf too. [/quote]

Mine was a joke, too...guess you needed a smiley face!
smile.gif
That work?

Don’t get your panties bunched up. Haha!

Back