Liability Insurance for Night Hunting

vetman1

Is there a better option than the NRA Liabilty Insurance policies? Specifically, I want to be covered while hunting on property that I do not own or is not part of a organized hunting club that already requires insurance.

Also, will I need a separate policy to cover my minor aged sons who hunt with me?

I have the 100,000 NRA policy and then have another 1,000,000 on my home owner's on top of this. I should be covered but thankfully have never had to use it for anything. It seems to show land owner's that I am serious about what I do, and take any responsibility so they aren't worried about any liability issues.

It would be interesting to see if this has been tested in court. I can only imagine a lawyer saying “so you fired a rifle having several miles range in the dark with no certainty of who or what may be in the dark background. Do you consider this good judgement?”
In a worst case situation 100,000 or even 1,000,000 might not be enough. It might buy a good lawyer but not come close to the liability damages.
I also hunt at night ossasionally.
We recently had a coyote hunter killed here group pickup hunting. Everybody and their dog may be included in the case.
You brought up a good point to consider.

Kirsh what's the details on the NRA insurance? Is that what's included under a standard Membership?
I'm curious as I was considering getting some for night hunting to cover property/cattle, etc..

Originally Posted By: Deadeye260Kirsh what's the details on the NRA insurance? Is that what's included under a standard Membership?
I'm curious as I was considering getting some for night hunting to cover property/cattle, etc.. I honestly don't know if it is any good but it is fairly reasonable. The NRA has this insurance available through their site. This isn't the basic insurance you get as a member, this is a personal firearms liability policy. The lowest coverage is $100,000. For me this minimal investment at least shows land owners that I care and take responsibility for my actions.

I have a liability waiver and indemnity agreement, I had my Attorney fabricate for my guided Hunters/Shooters. Personally for me as a Landowner/Rancher, it's very important.

Ask your insurance agent about an “umbrella policy”. It covers a variety of personal liability circumstances. I carry a $1 million policy for a little over $300yr.

The degree of personal Liability is attached to the degree of negligence exhibited... simple vs. gross.

Like someone pointed out... night hunting brings on a whole new world of "what if" as you certainly can't see off in the distance and have a better view of "beyond your target" as you do in daylight.

Might want to check into the individual limits of the NRA-based policies... last I looked a few short years ago (Instructor Policy), there was a $5,000.00 cap on MEDICAL payments.

When I asked DIRECTLY why, as one would assume that's where a lot of costs will stem from, the guy on the phone said they make an immediate medical payment to help persuade the injured party not to sue... I SWEAR TO THE LORD ABOVE that is what the guy said... my response was the policy is misleading ($1,000,000.00) and stubbing your toe costs $5,000.00 now days at the ER... so... who gets sued for the remaining medical costs? You. In reality, you have a $5,000.00 MEDICAL policy... not 1M.

Nothing wrong with having insurance I suppose, but at least READ over the coverage limits so you know what you have and what you don't have. It was eye-opening to me.

Does anyone know something contrary to this?

Back