disappointing .22WMR performance

Great tip on the Win 40g HP bullet. i'll pick up some when i see it and will use the Rem 32's for musk rats and the like.

Keith, a 4-16x Weaver Classic is riding the 22 WMR and it's time to tape and mark the elevation turret like you suggested. Will keep it clean also.

I haven't shot a groundhog with a .22 mag, but had good luck with my Ruger 77/22 mag on prairie dogs (a much smaller critter, to be sure). This was with the 30-32 grain ammo. Since then, I've put a Green Mountain .17 HMR barrel on it and a better scope, but have yet to shoot a live target with the .17. It is very accurate, more so than the .22 mag barrel was.

Originally Posted By: WishboneOriginally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I would shoot the 40 gr CCI / Winchester / Remington HP.

Yes. Get some Winchester 40gr JHP in the gray box. Great performing 22 mag round. Kills well.
These are my all time favorite 22 mag bullets..I miss the days of $5/box for these, sometimes Wally world has them for $10/box. When they do, for some reason I always buy them all.

I gave up on the 22 mag as a food taker, too destructive. I've found it shines for night coons in trees & smaller predators like foxes. Sold my last one to a buddy that still uses it for coons. I started loading my .22 Hornet to mag speeds as a more cost effective alternative.

You should have tried the CCI PSP Gsme Point! I love that bullet! Works great on coyotes and isn't ruff on squirrels rabbits.😁👍👍

^ Thanks, I may have to try them out as I just picked up a gently used pre-accutrigger S/S Savage 93. Have to see what I have left for ammo in the back of the ammo safe, most of my .22 mag ammo is probably 10+ years old...

I've always liked Winchester 45 grain HP's. They're deadly on all sorts of stuff. They've gotten harder to find here so I switched to the 40 grain HP. I've shot truck loads of stuff with both.

I love the Winchester 40s HP an FMJ! That's all I use in my Henry and my Single Six. But in all my Ruger Magnums its the CCI Game point !

I've honestly have had great sucess shooting the CCI 40 gr hps out of my 22 mag for groundhogs at ranges from 50 to 150 yards with no creepers..

You can't beat CCI Maxi Mag! Go to rimfire channel look at penetration in ballistics gel. The Maxi Mag like the Winchester works just like a big game bullet,u shrooms out perfect! Always gives the highest velocitys

Back