Love for the 6.8 SPC?

Cowboy43

I know this cartridge is not the newest latest greatest but i just got my first AR chambered for this round. 6.8 SPC II 1:10 Twist Green Mountain Barrel 20" long with rifle gas length. It did absolutely fantastic with factory Hornady Custom 120gr.SST.

Im looking for some load recommendations using anything from 90-110gr bullets. I have N133,H322,H4895,IMR8208XBR,AR Comp and Benchmark on hand. Anyone have any good loads they would care to share?

Last edited:
Of the powders you mentioned I could only find one load, that was with H322.
90 gr. Speer TNT
31.1 gr. H322
Rem 7 1/2 primer
Hornady brass
2.292 OAL

I didn't ever run this load over a chronogragh but would guess it to be a little slower than what I get with AA2200 or Reloader 7. go with the usual disclaimers about starting lower and working up.

6.8SPC and 95 grain Barnes TTSX are awesome on deer.

I have been seeing AA2200 and Reloader 7 mentioned alot on the 68 forum. I may just have to break down and get those 2. Many people swear by them.

For me the 120gr SST and AA2200 performs so well I've never looked for anything else.

I have about 200 rounds of Sierra 110gr Pro Hunters that do very well too, some day I'll burn them up, until then, it's the 120 SST for me. Accurate and deadly.

If I was shooting at hogs it would definitely be with 120SST's and AA2200.
Cowboy, 1. Yes, 68 is a good place all around.
2. Read through the bullet reviews on the other site and you'll probably find lots of starting data..
3. If you're in SE KS, Powder Valley can't be more than a couple hours away. Just call in your order before you pull in there. No walk-in orders. I learned the hard way!

I have been loading, and shooting the 6.8 SPC, for over a decade. I have tried a bunch of powders, and have settled on Reloder 10x, for bullets 100-120 gr, and Reloder 7 for 90-95 gr bullets. My loads are
fast and sub-MOA accurate, with no signs of pressure. I do prefer 1:11.25" twist barrels. I currently have three 6.8s, two with 1:11.25" ARP barrels, and one 1:10" Wilson barrel. All barrels will shoot my loads well, but the 1:10" barrel will show the occasional ejector swipes(early signs of pressure), with my hottest loads.

I am not a fan of spherical powders, due to temperature sensitivities, although I do have W748, and TAC, in ball powders. For the powders you listed, the only one I have loaded in a 6.8 SPC case, is actually in a 6mm wildcat, based on the 6.8 SPC case, and it is a 65 gr. bullet. And that is Benchmark. Very good powder, in that rifle(6mm WOA, 20" SS target). It might be worth a try, in the 6.8, although it may be a bit slow, if you chase velocity.

Squeeze

Thanks so much for the info. I have been noticing many people are going away from the 10 twist to achieve more velocity. Maybe i should have went that route instead. I bought this upper off of a friend of mine on a whim and prob should have done more homework on the cartridge before i jumped in.

Originally Posted By: Cowboy43Thanks so much for the info. I have been noticing many people are going away from the 10 twist to achieve more velocity. Maybe i should have went that route instead. I bought this upper off of a friend of mine on a whim and prob should have done more homework on the cartridge before i jumped in.

You're fine with that barrel... don't get wrapped up in a few hundred or less FPS.

This is what the 120 SST does to hogs...

I an still shooting Silver State ammo.
I bought a case when I bought the Rock River AR.
Got the wood from company down south, first to offer AR wood stocks.
I have shot few deer with it. They say it like a 270 win.
I bought this RRA 10 or 12 years ago.
I wrote a story on AR15.com about the rifle.

5sOQWlX.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43Thanks so much for the info. I have been noticing many people are going away from the 10 twist to achieve more velocity. Maybe i should have went that route instead. I bought this upper off of a friend of mine on a whim and prob should have done more homework on the cartridge before i jumped in.

You're fine with that barrel... don't get wrapped up in a few hundred or less FPS.

wow. That was 2 great shots. What was that about 175 yards? Maybe 200?

On another note. What is the opinion of going to something like a 12.5" barrel with the 6.8spc

Originally Posted By: Cowboy43Originally Posted By: Bowhntr6ptOriginally Posted By: Cowboy43Thanks so much for the info. I have been noticing many people are going away from the 10 twist to achieve more velocity. Maybe i should have went that route instead. I bought this upper off of a friend of mine on a whim and prob should have done more homework on the cartridge before i jumped in.

wow. That was 2 great shots. What was that about 175 yards? Maybe 200?

On another note. What is the opinion of going to something like a 12.5" barrel with the 6.8spc

150ish....

I just started reloading for my 6.8 and I'll have to check my book on the recipe that I started with but it was 27 gr of H322 with 120 SST's and worked very well in my 16" suppressed 6.8

There’s a lot of good reloading info on 12.5” barrels on the 6.8 forum. It’s unreal some of the velocities that can be reached with a barrel that short. Just remember that you willl either have to get you’re tax stamp or run it as a pistol. If I were to go with that barrel I would definitely try to pick up an ARP.

A buddy is getting awesome results with 90gr TNT and reloader 7 I recently gave him one of my Lee single stage presses and he rolled his own and got sub MOA groups with that combo.

Back