If you have a child or a Pit bull, you should read this:

Ever notice how no dog owner will ever admit that their dog is aggressive, or runs free, or barks all day? It's never them, always some other dog owner.

I have a friend who is a vet, he has nothing nice to say about pitbulls, ever. He sent me a selfie a month or so back, he was bleeding from his face. He is very careful and knows not to trust those dogs, he still got bitten.

poorly trained animals are just that - poorly trained animals.

i love how people stop at the rotties and the pits and forget to mention the shepherds are #3 and that labs and boxers are BOTH in the top 10.

and i wonder how many mutts in the "mixed breed" category @ #4 have no pit or rottie blood in them at all?

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fniallmccarthy%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F09%2F20180914_Deadly_Dogs_Forbes.jpg

pits and rots are often intentionally mistreated to make them into fighters. so its not shocking that they're top of the list for fatalities. [beeep] owners raise [beeep] dogs in those breeds to do [beeep] things and then [beeep] incidents happen.

and for the people who bring them home and raise them to be family dogs - they're amazing family dogs. i have several family members and friends of the family that have had pits and rotties as family dogs with kids in the house. none of them would have even considered looking at the kids cross eyed.

my cousin as an example had a big male rottie. colt was about 120 lbs or so. when they had their first daughter, he used to patrol the house at night and check ont he kid every round he made. i would have felt sorry for *ANYONE* who tried to get between him and those kids.

when she was first learning to stand up - you know how babies are - they grab onto anything they can for that boost up to standing. she was crawling around near colt and grabbed ahold of his junk. we're talking full on gi-joe-kungfu-grip. that was her handle to stand up. that dog turned his head to the side (away from the kid) and let out a yowl that would bring a tear to your eye. watching it happen brought a tear to MY eye. *cringe*

im sorry but just because people dont raise their animals right doesnt mean the breed is broken.

i'm betting it safe to say most of the time its cr@ppy owners that are broken.

With a "smile" like that, he'd make a believer out of me, if he was right side up
lol.gif

Regards,
hm

You're more Apt to get bit by the chihuahua in the background. She's an ornery [beeep] that he wont even mess with.

You got that right! I like dogs and normally they like me; have only been bitten twice in 82 years. Once by a chihuahua and once by a rat terrior.......both dogs belonged to ladies named Betty. I think there is a common thread here, but....
grin.gif

Regards,
hm

An undisciplined animal is unpredictable. Just because an animal is more powerful doesn't mean that it is more dangerous. It is a bully breeds nature to want to please it's owner and If the owner is a pushover on discipline this results in disobedience. If the owner is insecure they will project the insecurity into the animal.

I believe that certain people should not own certain breeds, quit blaming the breed. Find the route cause of the said animals behavioral problems and often enough the owner was the cause.

My last dog was a pit and he was the most obedient and loving animal I have ever dealt with. I got tired of hearing this crap and chose a great Dane for my current pet and she is not even close to being as receptive to commands as the pit.

I would like to have another pit again someday but it is too tiring trying to educate ignorant non dog people about how wonderful these dogs can be.

typically this subject/argument is brought up by people that would be unsuccessful with any breed of dog.

In the 1930s the pit bull was considered the all American dog, such as Petey of the little rascals. quit blaming the animal and look for a solution.

If you are a "cat" guy with a litter box in your house your opinion is exempt and the dog owners will understand what I am saying.

Wife brought home a 2 year old pit 3 years ago from a rescue shelter. She has been an awesome pet ! Very devoted to the wife & she is great with the grandsons.
My son has 2 and another previously.

If you compared pits to people, some are good and some are not.

I won't harp on the breed. It falls onto the breeder as much as the owner. A friend did one of these rescue deals with a pup. I told him when that pup was maybe 6 months old it was bad news and was going to cause him problems. Well forward a year and a half, it all but killed a neighbors dog, in the mean time another friend came over and it all but killed it. Close to $3k in vet bills and he still had it. I stopped by and the dog came at me after I had been there a few minutes. I warned him I had no issue of doing it in if it did more than smell me.
A short time after this it put his wife on the kithchen table.

Sorry, I just see it as not if it will cause an issue but when.

The breed is for sure not for a first time dog owner.

I would not argue with any of the above comments. I've raised dogs all my life, primarily Labs and Chessies. I'm thinking about getting another Chessie now but I don't know if it's fair to the dog at my age. When I look at your post Plant.One, I can't help but to think that the numbers speak for themselves. All the breeds on that list egual only about half of the fatal attacks by Pit bulls alone. Now I'm not looking for a fight here, as I said I agree with everything stated above. Much of the responsibility is on the owner and breeder but some of the responsibility is on the breed.
If you have children or grandchildren I'm sure you care as much about them as I care about mine. Problem is the guy down the street with the poorly bred and poorly socialized Pit bull does not appear to like kids or adults for that matter.

Originally Posted By: BleedsBlue

I believe that certain people should not own certain breeds, quit blaming the breed. Find the route cause of the said animals behavioral problems and often enough the owner was the cause.

i cant argue with your logic that some people shouldn't own certain breeds - or any dog for that matter - and that it does take the right type of person to raise some dogs.

within every batch of pups you're typically going to find 3 dog types - mostly without consideration of the breed

1) the dominant alpha pup who's the bully of the litter
2) the little timid runt of the litter who always ends up in the corner furthest from momma
3) a group of pups that are pretty much normal and happy and what most of us would consider "typical"

that alpha pup is the one that absolutely needs a good owner. nothing else is going to get that puppy to act "right" all the time as an adult. put this pup in the hands of a first time or insecure dog owner and you're probably looking at trouble somewhere down the road. that trouble may be chewing up your heirloom furniture, [beep]ing in your shoes while you're at work, or trying to chew someone's arm off. fetch the mailman buck!

the runt is probably better for a first time owner, or someone who's a bit of a pushover.

the rest of the group is for the average owner who's had a dog before and/or understands the breed they're picking to work with.

again these are generalizations and all pets have their own personality (LIKE PEOPLE!) .

but if you're consistent with them and as mentioned iron out the small issues when they're first separated from mom.... these bully breeds can be awesome family pets based on my first hand experience with them.

Originally Posted By: ADK When I look at your post Plant.One, I can't help but to think that the numbers speak for themselves. All the breeds on that list egual only about half of the fatal attacks by Pit bulls alone. Now I'm not looking for a fight here, as I said I agree with everything stated above. Much of the responsibility is on the owner and breeder but some of the responsibility is on the breed.

i'm not looking for a fight either, but i'm more than willing to engage in a nice civil debate
smile.gif

so first things first - statistics are something that meant to be massaged. its a common tactic when you want to tell a story. we all know this - the media does it all the time.

so lets ask ourselves.... why did the study only use that year range? is that the only data that exists? or is it possible its because it showed the worst possible statistics it could to paint pits and rots in a bad light?

how much different would that fatality list look with a much wider data set?

what if we looked at data from 1995-2017?
what if we had data from 1955-2017?
what if we had data from 1917-2017?

things that make you go hmmmmmmm....

i will agree the breeds do have *something* to do with it, as mentioned above - some breeds need a high quality owner more than others do. I know first hand that pits have an adrenaline streak in them. they can easily get spooled up when their excited - and when they're spooled up thats when dumb things might happen - especially in
a poorly trained animal. but that can be said for many breeds.

however - you're not very likely to be mauled to death by a Chihuahua or terrier thats all spooled up because of their sheer size. they're still angry as [beeep], but when you can punt one across half a county if it comes at you.... it kinda takes the risk factor down. so it requires larger breed dogs to really get into the fatality category in the first place.

and i'm willing to bet a gourmet ham sammich that if we dug into the background of every one of those 284 fatalities related to pit bulls, most of them had owners who were questionable at best as dog owners - or even hoomans - in the first place. and it may not even be the current owners. some dogs come from the breeder already broken.

i wont disagree that there are some dogs - not breed, DOGS - out there that by their very nature that are just bad/dangerous animals. it happens. but based on my experience - and i've got the bite scars to prove it - every bad animal i've come across had a poor owner behind it.

my $0.02 USD

My one and only personal experience with a pit cross was negative. She was the sweetest thing for months, until one night she wasn't. Like a light switch. That's all I've got to say about that.

Certain breeds of dogs are attractive to certains types of people. Pits and rotts, pretty popular with POS type folks. The odds of having a well trained and decent animal... pretty low in those situations. I inherited a rottweiler when I was a kid. He belonged to my aunt, we got him when she killed herself. That dog, running at you full bore, scary as anything you'll ever see. But I knew him, he was the dumbest and gentlest dog I'd ever had. He was running at you because he wanted to say hi, but he's huge, his lips are flapping and teeth are HUGE, so no blame in someone thinking they were about to be eaten alive. But then he got to you and it was drool and licking and rolling over to have you rub his belly.

Past that you have to look at numbers. The german shepard, massively popular animal and there are a bajillion of them out there. Yes it made the list but when that number represents .000000000000001% of the total number of animals, the list doesn't matter. Statistically, they don't exist according to that list.

I've had a LOT of good dogs, including 4 on that list. I've only had a couple bad dogs, neither of which are there. 90% of a bad dog, is 100% the owner.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: NdIndy Pits and rotts, pretty popular with POS type folks.

painting with a pretty broad brush there bud.

i dont think he was suggesting that just because you're attracted to large breed dogs you're a POS. but maybe i'm reading it wrong too.

why is it a broad brush to say that POS people who want an agressive dog to do bad things with are a POS? of course that type of person is going to be attracted to a large breed animal that can easily be trained to have a vicious streak in them. you dont see dog fighting rings being broken up for having 37 toy poodles chained up in their basement..... and i pretty much consider anyone who fights dogs to be a POS.

Likewise people arent going to chain up a pug to the power/gas meter to prevent the meter reader from turning their utility service off. but a POS who doesnt pay their bills will happily chain a pit up to one down in the hood for that very reason.

a POS crack/meth/heroin dealer - which i'm sure everyone will agree is a POS - isnt going to try to protect their stash house with a Pomeranian.

you see where i'm going with this i hope...

just my $0.02 USD

The only dog I have ever shot on duty was a pit bull. It was a shame, really. I was doing a narcotics search warrant at a residence. It was a bad place full of bad people. As the first guy on the entry team as I entered the front door I saw our key bad actor bolt for the back door. I chased him but he made it outside before I could catch him. When I left the house through the back door I was on a concrete slab patio. It was pitch black and running from inside and hitting that ink black darkness outside left me no vision. I quickly stepped away from the back door so I wasn't back lit and paused to listen for the runner to get a direction and let my eyes adjust.

In that first couple seconds of confusion I heard a metallic clicking sound off my right side. Just as I turned that direction a pit grabbed me by the right calf and began twisting and biting my leg. The metallic sound was a chain, the dog was chained beside the back door. He had me, and good too. Shocked and scared would describe me. Plenty scared. Dog was twisting and tugging, I literally thought he was going to pull my calf muscle off the bone. The dog had pulled me back against the wall of the house and I got my knee jammed hard against the house to stabilize me, put the Glock .40 caliber onto the top of the dogs head, checked the angle to make sure I wasn't going to shoot myself and when everything lined up I sent 180 grs. of hollowpoint through that dogs brain. The entire event probably didn't take 7-8 seconds but it seemed as if it were in slow motion and took a long time to resolve.

The ER visit was fun. Purging the wounds with a needle is a good time. Waiting for the results of rabies test was a good time also. Thinking of taking the rabies shots was a very real worry. Fortunately that wasn't necessary. Left me some little pucker marks on my calf to remind me of that particular search warrant. I don't blame the dog. I'll tell you this, I would hate to be unarmed and in a struggle with one. It rates up there in my memory as one of the scariest events in my career. I've had a few worse but that pit was no slouch in putting that uncomfortable knot in your stomach.

Back