Tree rat eaters, HELP!

crapshoot

Never cooked one but would like to try it. Don't have enough to do a big pot of stew, just one rat. How a about some recipies?

Ok, I cut in 5 pieces and put in crock pot with some salt, pepper, chopped onion and some celery, cook until meat almost falls off the bone. Drain and then dip it in some egg and then roll it in some bread crumbs. Gently place in a frying pan with a 1/4" of hot oil to brown. That's all.

Sounds pretty good. Also sounds like a lot of work for 1 rat. But I might give it a go.
Any other recipes from anyone?

It is a lot of work unless you're going to make a real meal out of it I try to have at least 4. The meat is sweeter and better tasting that a cottontail in my opinion

I find with a lot of game meat, how you cook it can make all the difference. Gotta try it before I can condemn it.

Guess this would have been better placed in the small game forum.

Last edited:
Recipe for Tree Chicken is to roll in flour and fry in a skillet with butter. Taste is somewhat akin to pork chops. i knew it was true love when my wife to be ate it without a complaint, knowing full what it was. For context, she was raised in big northeastern cities.

I have lots of recipes, but if you only have one.....provided is a young one, dust with a liberal coating of seasoned flour (i add parmesan cheese to mine) and pan fry in a little bit of oil til thoroughly cooked and golden brown. This method is not good for older, tougher squirrels.

Boil like you would do chicken for tenderness, make a big pan of fat head biscuits and a big skillet of gravy then add the meat. The heart is the best part of squirrel gravy!

BBQ Shake-n-Bake used to be a good way of doing it too. Go get more, and a good thick, homemade-noodle PA Dutch farmer potpie! Mmmmmmmm!

On the fall deer hunting, I stuff them with chopped onion, coat them with Yukon Jack.
Double Wrap in foil, roast over a hot bed of coals. Don't use to much Jack, That is for drinking.
30-45 minutes a side. Check one, you want them nice and brown.

Honestly, with just one, i'd brown it in some oil, and then cook like stew until everything falls off the bone with some onions, whatever else you'd make stock with (garlic, carrots, etc).

brown, cook in liquid till it falls apart, remove the bones, and then use that as a base for stew/gravy etc.

Crock-pot with the same stuff you would do a chicken with. We used to save up 20-30 of em & my Grandmother would do them in the oven for Christmas dinner... ah memories!

Back