Crown Land Single

.204Dan

A mere 4 days ago the temps were -32C in the am, now its 3C. I havent had much luck calling the last 4 outings due to wind and an easier than usual winter so far. today i finally shot one, thats a half truth, i did shoot a mangy one on monday but yotarunner called him in so i dunno.

Anyway im taking every opportunity after work to call a spot on my way home and today i picked a 2 quarter piece that i have shot multiple coyotes on for the last 3 years running. its also the spot i called in and shot my first coyote ever.

Yesterdays wind has blown alot of snow away from the hills and todays melting temps have me thinking i should dig out the fall camo again. but nice weather means easy hunting and i see lots of mule deer out. The breeze is shifty from the NW to S to W. With the swift call and 2 others i pick a spot right ontop of a hill with a larger hill on my down wind and a slough bottom upwind. no coyotes but 4 mule deer keep me entertained for 20 min trying to figure me out.
Next spot a little further to the south closer to the corn field with cattle in it, this time i pull up the catnip. this is the call i called in my very first coyote with and its a regular in my line up. I can put way more emotion into this one for some reason. first series is loud and its good enough to get my heart beating.

Most times if a coyote is going to come in hes there 5-10 min into the stand. if not hes there from 20-30 min mark. this one is 5 min in. she pops out from a long stretching slough making her way up the ridge. i swing the rifle her way and shes not busting out, rather she wants to find the wind. i bark to stop her and with a 60 yard shot she tips over nicely.

Nice female coyote not huge but healthy for sure. i drag her back to the truck but i miss where the truck was parked by 300 yards. these hills have a way of getting you lost, dont be out here after dark unless you can follow a fence line. Happy to have had a successful day after not expecting much the sun is just setting behind me.

Congrats on a very nice looking coyote!
That land, has "coyote" written all over it! good looking area.
This weather going from one extreme to the other, sure makes for tough calling!

Coyote country for sure but i have started to notice that the general area that they concentrate in changes from year to year, some spots always have coyotes but im having trouble this year hunting an area that has had dogs in the past that doesnt this year

Nice story, congrats on the kill
smile.gif

Thanks for the awesome comments appreciate it guys! that coyote is one of the nicer ones I have shot, usually with the bushier country they tend to have more black to them, but I am not far from some more open country and sometimes a nice pale one shows up

Back