Wolf Hunt Summary

Bail

I just got back Saturday from a 7 day hunt in east central Idaho. I swear those things are mountain goats with teeth. It took us 4 days to find a fresh track. We started at 8am and tracked them up and over a mountain until 4pm. Elevation started around 4,000 and we ended at around 9,000. After reaching the top and seeing that they had gone down into the next valley, we decided there was no way we were going to be able to find them before dark. We started glassing for about 10 mins and a pair of them started howling across the valley on the opposite mountain. I found them eventually and tried to range them. My 1,000 yard range finder gave me no reading. I made an educated guess that they were around 1,300 and doped the scope and took a shot. They both ran down the mountain unharmed. Even though I missed, I considered the trip successful that we heard, seen, and got a shot at one of those elusive suckers!!! We'll be back again next year.

Originally Posted By: BailMy 1,000 yard range finder gave me no reading. I made an educated guess that they were around 1,300 and doped the scope and took a shot. They both ran down the mountain unharmed.

Sounds like the most irresponsible thing you could have done. Why would you share a story that will only turn someone on the fence about hunting away from the sport?

They don't hand out participation trophies in hunting. Sweet second post btw!!

Last edited:

Sounds like the most irresponsible thing you could have done. Why would you share a story that will only turn someone on the fence about hunting away from the sport? [/quote]

I see dumb people.
They're everywhere.
They walk around like everyone else
They dont even know there dumb.

And, some of them,

POST HERE

^ You might want to figure out the correct way to use the simple quote function before calling someone else dumb.

Making a wild-[beeep]-guess at the distance of an animal approaching a mile away, aiming your rifle likely over 20 feet high and making a desperate shot that had a much better chance of wounding the animal than killing it is a bad idea, almost as bad of an idea as publicly posting that you did it.

The shot as described is irresponsible and shows a complete lack of ethics. There is no argument about that.

If trophies are all that matter in hunting then why do you participate? You came home with nothing. Hunting is clearly about more than “trophies” however you want to define that term. Maybe for some it isn’t and that causes them to throw ethics out the window and brag about a shot that they didn’t have a prayer of making. If that is what the sport is evolving into then I want no part of it.

Originally Posted By: 1lessdogThey dont even know there dumb.

FYI - Learning the difference between there, their and they’re has been used a rough guide to IQ.

Back