pulsars and the cold

Fredritz

how does everyone handle taking their equipment out in extremely cold weather? its down to 20 below 0 here in ohio and although i don't plan on going out in the next day or two i don't mind going out at 0. i read pulsars ratings of what its supposed to withstand but just was curious if anyone does anything to add protection or if people just stay home. a lot of money invested in my equipment just hate to ruin it on something that could have been prevented

I take mine out no matter what the temp. I know it has been 0 before not sure about-0. I only have Pulsar scanners not scopes. I have had 3 scanners in 3 years,2 quit working. Pulsar quickly replaced both units. Neither quit working in the winter.

DoubleUp said:
old cat, which one do you have now and how do you like it?

They sent me that junky xq23v. I despise it so it will never blow up. I have a great thermal scope so I can get by with it. Basically at any distance all you see is a white spot moving, unlike the hd19a & xd19a they sent me, which were actually pretty good. I believe you had[ one so you know what I am talking about. Also noticed coyote hunting not going as good as usual, same here./quote]

Last edited:
Well actually oc the hunting/calling has been a whole lot better than my shooting recently. I've been in a shooting slump. I know what you mean about the xq23v. A real piece of junk in my opinion.

I have never tried one, but Opti-soc makes a covering for thermals. Link. It might help some. I have run thermals in sub-zero temps many times. If we waited for above zero temps, we wouldn't hunt much in ND during the Winter. I really haven't had an issue as far as them working. I don't spend a lot of time on a stand, so they don't get a chance to get too cold. I've heard of guys putting handwarmers around their scope by the batteries but haven't tried this personally.

I don’t know if your asking About the quantum or apex line or the helion or trail line but I can say that the Hd19a I had did fine in the cold but once it got below 0 “icicles” would appear on the screen. This problem was generally solved by keeping it inside my coat when not looking thru it as it would stay warmer and holding a hand warmer on it while scanning. I don’t remember really considering it that much of a problem at the time and I don’t think it hurt anything because as soon as it warmed up it went to the normal display. The helion xp28 I currently use has seen -15 to -20 temperature with nothing done differently. The battery life does decrease but I have 2 batteries so it wasn’t a problem. Can’t comment on the scopes but I would assume they would be the same way.

I had 2 19A's and the one started tilling in cold weather. They had me send it in and replaced it with an XD19A. Both have been good but the weather here in Easter Iowa has been brutal this month. Had a bug for a little while which didn't help but after having 3 good months in a row I've been out 2x and got one. After tonight which looks to set a record low somewhere around 28 below ( got close to that last night ) things start to warm up. I really wish Pulsar would have just updated the core on the 19a's to a 640. It would have almost been perfect. Nothing has the fov they do and they really work great for scanning. I was hoping the new Axions would have a bigger fov but as soon as I saw there magnifications I figured not as was confirmed by looking at their specs.

Originally Posted By: KirschI have never tried one, but Opti-soc makes a covering for thermals. Link. It might help some. I have run thermals in sub-zero temps many times. If we waited for above zero temps, we wouldn't hunt much in ND during the Winter. I really haven't had an issue as far as them working. I don't spend a lot of time on a stand, so they don't get a chance to get too cold. I've heard of guys putting handwarmers around their scope by the batteries but haven't tried this personally.

My wife bought me an opti-soc for Christmas. It actually works pretty well. Due to some miscommunication and errors, I actually have one for a Trijicon IR Hunter and two for Pulsar trails.

I was referring to two Helions a trail and a apex but doesn’t seem like I have a ton to worry about I’m usually on Stannd 30 to 45 minutes I tend not to hunt below zero because I’m a sissy lol but just aren’t sure what others first hand experience was or has been

It's a lot warmer tomorrow
wink.gif
Been thinking of going out myself..

We hunted last night from 8 to 2 am with helion xq28 and trail xq38. Temp was -5 at worst part of the night and they worked perfect. Neither units battery dropped below the half way mark and they both saw Atleast 4 hours of run time.

New here so hello to everyone! I actually joined because I wanted to ask this same question. I have an XP50 I just purchased new in December and it seems to randomly shift. I was under the impression this issue was resolved.

This thing has me at the end of my wits! Buyers remorse would be an absolute understatement. I haven't been able to predict when it will move.

Mounts are solid.. I guess maybe try the cover? Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Originally Posted By: P&YNew here so hello to everyone! I actually joined because I wanted to ask this same question. I have an XP50 I just purchased new in December and it seems to randomly shift. I was under the impression this issue was resolved.

This thing has me at the end of my wits! Buyers remorse would be an absolute understatement. I haven't been able to predict when it will move.

Mounts are solid.. I guess maybe try the cover? Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Take the battery out when not in use. This works on my Zeus. Varminter .223 had the same problem send him a PM for advice.

Originally Posted By: P&YNew here so hello to everyone! I actually joined because I wanted to ask this same question. I have an XP50 I just purchased new in December and it seems to randomly shift. I was under the impression this issue was resolved.

make sure u have the latest firmware update. That is what is needed to fix the poi shift. Its been out for right at a year i believe and ur unit may not have it installed yet.

P&Y, are you saying it randomly shifts your point of impact when shooting, or that the crosshairs appear to shift in the viewfinder. If the first is what you're saying then "Houston, we have a problem", but if the crosshairs appear to shift it could just be because your scope is set on Auto NUC which appears to cause crosshair shift when it occurs. That is not a problem. Which is it?

Back