Your ideal coyote round?

Originally Posted By: liliysdadNot if you shoot the right .22

thumbup1.gif

I live on 308 and 223 bras and components, So I guess I fall into the 'traditional' category on Cal. for a general use daytime Coyote rifle . 308 win. with 110 grain vmax's . and not pumped-up to hot at only 3100 vel.
knocks them dead on the spot like any other speedster, And the little .30 cal. 110's are almost like a 6mm for the felt recoil.

nighttime / AR15 25x45 / 87 grn. tnt's 2700 vel.
-

8 twist 22-250 AI pushing 75 ELDs at 3312 fps. Not sure on barrel life yet. Funny thing is I've never killed a coyote with it, but it's taken a few deer and a couple turkeys so far.

I've used a bunch. Probably my favorite is a 243 with a 70 to 75 grain bullet for just coyotes. I usually have one of those in the truck for targets of opportunity, wind, or coyote only stands. I might build a fast twist 22-250 for this use instead down the road. Use a little tougher bullet with a little better BC.

I also almost always have my AR in the scabbard for my Eberlestock and use it on a large percentage of the stands I make. I don't want to shred a cat if I call one in. It does a good job on shots at normal calling ranges. I'm experimenting with the 73gr ELD-M Superformance ammo to see if it does a good job on yotes while being better in the wind.

I'd like to try an AR in 22 Nosler. I like the AR platform for calling but would like a little more thump than the 223.

Back