yote vocals and fox

Indiyote

here is a question for you all. do you think starting off a set with coyote vocals will keep fox from your set if you later switch to prey in distress? i mainly target coyotes but am not oppossed to the occasional fox. thoughts

I don't know the answer to your question but I have tried a howl at the end of a set and had a red fox show up on more than 1 occasion. I was hunting fox at the time so didn't start off with vocals.

I do think that the coyote howls will keep "some" foxes from coming in. I say that because Byron South told me so. BUT...we had a red fox come in to den raid one time that makes no sense what so ever. Personally I think that if you are in a foxy area you should start with quieter distress at first then ramp it up from there.

Originally Posted By: Tyrod Personally I think that if you are in a foxy area you should start with quieter distress at first then ramp it up from there.

What Tyrod said!!! In the reverse, a distress or fox vocals will certainly not scare a coyote away from coming in. Of course you knew that already. Just sayin' I have killed a few coyotes that came into Gray Fox vocals, maybe looking to kill that dang fox. This has happened more than once or twice. Just food for thought. Randy Anderson has video proof of bobcats sneaking in(several times) after much calling for coyotes with howls etc.

I've had reds and greys both come running in after howls. I don't understand it...perhaps they were fox with huge balls and a chip on their shoulder?

I start all my sets in my area with rabbit distress. 85% of the time it's all I use, because within the first ten minutes something is running in. I've also discovered it's possible to shoot a red fox and have a coyote run in right after. Since it's late in the season, though, my hand calls change. I'm using odder, or unique sounding distress calls now, like Verminators.

I have a ton of reds in my area probably more reds then I have coyotes but I see very few of them while calling simply because I do allot of vocals and high volume distress sounds definitely deters some Fox I would imagine, I’ll kill a few reds over the call during a season but I can’t help but imagine switching to more distress would produce more fox

Originally Posted By: Indiyotehere is a question for you all. do you think starting off a set with coyote vocals will keep fox from your set if you later switch to prey in distress? i mainly target coyotes but am not oppossed to the occasional fox. thoughts

Grays I would say no affect on them.. Many times when I start out I use coyote vocals and then go to distress sounds and grays have np coming in.. But I usually wait a few minutes after vocals before I start distress sounds.. Dan

Originally Posted By: Galenmore reds then I have coyotes but I see very few of them while calling simply because I do allot of vocals and high volume distress sounds

I smiled when I read this part of your post. Knowing that you must already realize that Reds are extremely high volume shy. They like low volume, high pitched, rapid cadence. Honestly they can hear my lipsqueaks at 400 yards. I've witnessed their heads snapping up from their mousing duties when I lipsqueaked them from across a cut soybean field in the fall, that I have groundhog hunt during the summer time.

I figured you must have realized this by the way you incorporated it into your post.

Last edited:
Back