Sabine Pass Jetty Again

Yellowhammer

Staff member
I made another trip back to the jetties yesterday. The weather was not near as good, with thunderstorms and a south wind blowing.

We left at 4:30 am again, and had some bait caught and at the ramp by about 8 am. It took longer to catch bait, and not as much of it, but we also bought some mullet.

We started for the jetty, but were met my a fleet of boats heading back in. We soon saw why as the temp dropped noticeably, and the wind picked up with a spatter of rain. We turned back and ended up pulling under a big rig to tie up and wait out the weather a little. We caught a few gaftops but nothing else. A little later we tried again, but still too rought and anchored up near a bulk head in a proteched spot and fished some more. A few more gaftops and a couple of small sharks followed.

About 10:30 it cleared up and the wind died down and we headed to the boat cut. It wasn;t long and I had one on, that must have been shark because he sheared off an 80 pound steel leader right by the hook. Beefed up my leader and wasn't long I had another fish on.

This one was a big bull red. No weight, but he was 42 inches.

43820061372_b5e1f07b68_z_d.jpg

My partner brought his 14 year old son along and he kept hooking into the small sharks. I think he ended up catching 9. I caught another 5 or 6 and my buddy David caught a couple. We never got a big though.

A little while later and we had 2 big fish on at the same time. Turns out to be two more bull reds.

Mine was about 40 and Jackson's was about 38.

28932228087_460672debf_z_d.jpg

His dad landed a 36 inch red not long after and then it slowed down. By 3pm the wind was picking up again and more thunderstorms were threatening, so we packed up and headed for home.

Hopefully next time we catch the weather a little better with less wind so we can get on the spot soon and fish longer.

Back