Finally Got To Hunt Deer

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
6.5 Grendel's first kill, this morning:

2498.jpg

2499.jpg

2500.jpg

it's been a long day. Up at 0430, on stand before 0600.

I had to field dress it. Could barely drag it whole.

Estimate live weight 175 or so. Even dressed it was a job getting to where I could get the truck to & then I couldn't lift it enough to get it on the tailgate.

I shot him before 10 this morning, it was 3 before I left the property. There's a management area a few miles away that has cleaning stations to use. Winch / gambrel, running water. Took him there to skin down & bone out for the trip home.

This is a place I hunted for 10 years, first time back in 8 years. [beeep], first time deer hunting in 10 years. I hiked to a favorite spot I have on the back of the property this morning. Saw 5 turkeys, watched them for about 20 minutes when I saw one antler. He then mounted a doe. She popped out and posed for me, I had to wait a few minutes before he gave me an opening.

Finally got home about 8.

123 Hornady SST handload. One shot, walking and quartering to me.

Bullet track was about 45 degrees through, front to back. I did get an exit hole but when I skinned it I recovered the jacket and the base of the core. No pics of those yet, later.

Buck made it 50 - 70 yards

The load info:

123gr Hornady SST
Hornady brass
Benchmark
CCI 450 primer

Obliterated the lungs. Impact a bit high in the ribs (in the pics you can see the exit), most blood went to fill the body cavity. I'm pretty sure most of what I found to trail him with came from nose & mouth. He made it 50 yards or so, fairly typical for a double lung shot in my experience. I have nothing to complain about on the performance.

Dang! You are fancy!

I bet you only smoke Cuban cigars and sip whiskey that can not possibly be younger than 30 years old?

Nice work buddy.

Originally Posted By: Stu Farish

20190830_174803 by Stu Farish, on Flickr

bit odd mounting him to your counter like that, but its definitely unique
grin.gif

do you plan to hang some branches from the ceiling to make it look like he's sniffing a branch ready to rub his face on it?
grin.gif
grin.gif

Back