Which TYPE of hand calls?

Rkeeper1

If you only took out 2 or 3 hand calls what would they be? Howlers? Distress? Open or closed Reed? Looking at buying a couple Carver's and don't really want to buy the sets. Thibking of getting just a couple to try out for now

Carvers are real nice and I'm sure you'll be happy with anything you buy from him. Honestly you won't go wrong with anything from any of the custom call makers here. I have at least a couple from everyone here along with a couple carvers but the carvers rarely get any field time, I just like the pitches that a get from a few other calls better.
I always carry 1 howler and 3 distress's and they are almost always open reeds. I do have a closed reed that I really really like but it freezes up pretty quickly.

Open reeds do take a little more practice but it's not hard to learn. Good Luck, hunting with hand calls is MUCH more enjoyable and satisfying IMHO

Open Reed’s are more versatile. Closed reed calls are easier but can cause problems if it’s cold and they freeze up. Carver makes good stuff. Ive got a closed reed from him made out of smoke tree burl with a cottontail voice and it’s a screamer. His Swift call make a very unique sound also. Any custom call from the call makers here are good to go. I call more coyotes with hand calls than I do with an e call.

I started with a set of Kerry's calls. Am very happy with them. Since then I have added calls from Rudy(badtothebone), Bob (rareearth), and Rick(bearmanric). Love the custom calls. The guys on the custom calls forum are all very helpful and can voice the calls the way you want.

I've pretty much narrowed my calls down to 3-4.

The usual suspects are as follows.

Woodson Asher's acrylic howler
Tony Tebbe's Green Nasty
Verminator Tweety

Honorable mentions are as follows.

Pee Wee Crit'r Call
Grey Fox distress from Crooked Creek
Verminator Psycho Tweety

I far, far, far prefer open reeds to closed reeds.

I know this is an old post but I just wanted to add, that I love Carver's calls. I just ordered the 6 strictly business calls along with a swift call and the 21 days in Coyote Heaven dvd. The purchase was easy, quick delivery. All the calls sound great. I bought my father in-law a pack of his rubber calls several years ago. They sound good. I called in a couple with one of them. In my opinion his calls are very easy to blow.

Rick also sells good calls and I am sure others do to, it just that I haven't ordered one from them yet. I bought a howler from Rick but I haven't taken the time to master it yet.

I should point out that I can't do howls on Carver's calls either. I just need to practice the howl, but prey sounds are awesome.

On my wish list is a call from Rudy, the Red Fox P call that makes bird sounds.

I've got one of Rudy's Bunny Bombs and geez I love that thing. Haven't had it long and I know he isn't making them anymore, but that call sounds awesome. Going to give it a good work out in the upper peninsula of Michigan in a few weeks.

Back