Best predator shotgun under 1000 bucks

Thumper3181

I'm going to get another shotgun mainly for coyotes, turkeys and possibly a duck or goose hunt. I am wanting a semi auto and 3 1/2 capabilities. I've looked at the Stoeger 3500, Versa Max and the SX4, but I am open to suggestions.
Thanks

Last edited:
Look for a used beretta 391 with the kick off system that is a shock absorber in the stock, they really lighten up the recoil on those heavy loads.

Benelli & Beretta are hard to beat. Of course, you'll have to search for a very good condition used gun.

I have been trouble free and happy with the browning maxus. It is very soft shooting. I think you can get the stalker(black) model new for right at $1000.

I have a mossberg 935 and don't have anything to complain about. I bought a used one on G.B. a couple years ago for like $380 or something. Not 1 problem with it. You can get a new one for under $700 easily
I'll add that I'm shooting 3.5" DC T shot and the recoil is very manageable

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bernie P.If you think the 500 is brutal you're in for a real treat when you drop the hammer on 3.5" ammo.

I am in a similar position wanting a new Semi-Auto for waterfowl and fox work. Maxus looks good to me but tempted to try the SX4. Anyone like the 935?

Scrummy

(PS - Have shot some 3.5" goose loads through my Benelli Supernova, you are certainly away they have "gone off"...I do wonder if anyone has been crazy enough to regularly shoot 3.5" shells through a Mossberg 535...)

Originally Posted By: Bernie P.I've shot some 3.5 4 buck through my 835.Ouch doesent quite get it.Any word that get's it right would get me banned.LOL

That is my reasoning for going semi-auto...

Most important factor with a semi-auto is will it reliably run any and all ammo.

My vote goes to the versa-max. It will run any ammo you feed it and it shoots like a dream. It's gas operated and vents off any gas that is not needed. Recoil is very tame.

When you start looking into recoil operated guns it's pickier on ammo and it recoils alot more than gas guns.

If you go versamax get the tactical so you get the drilled receiver. I like a red-dot on my shotgun zeroed to the center of the pattern.

At least from my experience Moss berg 500s have the worst recoil of any modern shotgun I've shot. I had an 835 several years ago and a 3 1/2 was as bad as a 3 out of the 500. I also figured a semi auto would also help reduce recoil. I have several nice guns to run 2 3/4 out of, so if it would just reliably run 3 and 3 1/2 is all that really matters.

I have a Maxus 12 ga. 3.5", a Winchester SX-3(just cosmetic changes to make it a SX-4) in 20 ga., and a Beretta A400, in 28 ga. And I have had a Beretta 3901, in 20 ga, and a Benelli SBE. I have had a few more makes and models of shotguns, but let's just stick to these for now. For the stated budget, I would go with the SX-4. There are very little differences, internally between the Maxus, and the SX-3/SX-4 shotguns. Both are FN designs, and both are simple designs, and very reliable. The only feature difference is the Maxus has a magazine cutoff. If that is important, then you will have to pay Browning's inflated price.

I don't think you can get a Versa-Max for $1000, and I wouldn't want one even at that price. My waterfowling partner has one, and it is a pile of parts to clean, and he has had a number of cycling issues with his shotgun. Granted it is a sample of one, but one is enough for me.

The Stoeger, is not a shotgun I am familiar with, except by hearsay. Some say it is a good value brand, and others don't have kind words for their Stoeger.

Any brand can have a problem example, which was the case for my Benelli SBE, but most often the better the manufacturer reputation is, the better value the shotgun will be over time. About the only time I sell or trade a shotgun is if it is a problem gun, it doesn't fit me well, or it is just too complicated to be easily maintained.

So for me, at this space in time, the Winchester SX-3/SX-4 is arguably the best shotgun on the market, for the price, simplicity of design, quality of parts, fit/finish, and balance. But you really should handle each of your candidate shotguns, and maybe even see if the salesperson will disassemble them for you. That is usually entertaining in itself. I asked the salesman to disassemble my Browning Gold 10ga, when I bought it, and the gunsmith had to bail out the salesman...It was just a simple trick, but the salesman didn't know it, and I got a free lesson on doing the trick.
lol.gif

Squeeze

Everyone has their personal experience. Squeeze had a bad experience with a Benelli SBE and my son had a Winchester SX3 that was the most screwed up shotgun I think I've ever seen. Like Squeeze said, even the best companies let a crapper slip out once in awhile. My son got a bad one. Everyone else I know that has the Winchester loves it. Against my advice my stubborn son in law had to pay extra for the Browning for the name but he really likes the gun. Of the Benelli's the SBE is the most likely to be problematic. The M1/M2 model is bullet proof. Again, against my advice my son bought a Benelli Vinci. Ugh... it didnt have any functioning trouble but yuck. Dang kid finally came around to the M2 and couldn't be happier. Beretta gas guns are excellent also if you don't mind a little bit more maintenance.

I just traded a browning gold hunter straight up for a brand new stoeger m3000 turkey model camouflage and such. The browning was just to nice to paint or drag through the brush for dogs and other small game. I don’t have many rounds through it yet but I ran some buck shot and a few other loads through it. Shot some crows and other small game and functions great so far. I would say it has a pretty stiff trigger but it’s new and I’m probably used to my rifle triggers.

I actually thought about buying a Benelli or a Beretta, but I just can't bring myself giving that much for something that I am going to be that rough with. I shot the Stoeger, Remington and Winchester today and honestly all three felt good and I liked the way they handled, I am just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experiences with them.

Benelli, Franchi and Stoeger are owned by the same company and the use the same operating system. The Benelli and Franchi are made in Italy and the Stoeger Semi-Autos arm made in Turkey by Vursan a subsidiary of Beretta. The Stoeger has the recoils springs mounted in the stock the other two under the forend, Fit and finish are better on the Italian guns plus they are adjustable for drop, the Stoeger isn't. But that's to be expected when you pay less than half the price for it.

Personally I'd forget the 3 1/2"and go with a shotgun that is 3" capable. If you can't kill waterfowl with a 3" odds are it is so far out you can't hit it with a 3 1/2" and at the most your hoping for the Golden BB.

3" predator ammo abounds and works well

Good luck

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SqueezeI have a Maxus 12 ga. 3.5", a Winchester SX-3(just cosmetic changes to make it a SX-4) in 20 ga., and a Beretta A400, in 28 ga. And I have had a Beretta 3901, in 20 ga, and a Benelli SBE. I have had a few more makes and models of shotguns, but let's just stick to these for now. For the stated budget, I would go with the SX-4. There are very little differences, internally between the Maxus, and the SX-3/SX-4 shotguns. Both are FN designs, and both are simple designs, and very reliable. The only feature difference is the Maxus has a magazine cutoff. If that is important, then you will have to pay Browning's inflated price.

I don't think you can get a Versa-Max for $1000, and I wouldn't want one even at that price. My waterfowling partner has one, and it is a pile of parts to clean, and he has had a number of cycling issues with his shotgun. Granted it is a sample of one, but one is enough for me.

The Stoeger, is not a shotgun I am familiar with, except by hearsay. Some say it is a good value brand, and others don't have kind words for their Stoeger.

Any brand can have a problem example, which was the case for my Benelli SBE, but most often the better the manufacturer reputation is, the better value the shotgun will be over time. About the only time I sell or trade a shotgun is if it is a problem gun, it doesn't fit me well, or it is just too complicated to be easily maintained.

So for me, at this space in time, the Winchester SX-3/SX-4 is arguably the best shotgun on the market, for the price, simplicity of design, quality of parts, fit/finish, and balance. But you really should handle each of your candidate shotguns, and maybe even see if the salesperson will disassemble them for you. That is usually entertaining in itself. I asked the salesman to disassemble my Browning Gold 10ga, when I bought it, and the gunsmith had to bail out the salesman...It was just a simple trick, but the salesman didn't know it, and I got a free lesson on doing the trick.
lol.gif

Squeeze

So you'd go Winchester over Maxus? Interesting

Back