Coyote # 50

Snowshoes

Getting coyote # 50 today would test my sanity ( or should I say, lack of). A cold front was coming in, forcing the warm air out with vengeance. A constant 30 mph wind gusting to 50 mph would be challenging enough but there was to be mixed snow & rain flurries to just top it off. My wife said, are you actually going out in this? My response was, I would likely be taking a shotgun as I expected any coyotes to be airborne and going overhead. She just smiled but there still was that look of, “ your might be a little nuts!”
smile.gif

No shotgun but I did pack the 223AI that’s loaded up with heavier bullets than my 223 Rem.
I needed to go to as sheltered of an area as possible if I hoped to see a coyote, so with a spot in mind, away I went. The wind got its grip on my truck a few times but I manhandled it down the hi-way a couple miles to where I would park. Parked on lease road and from there, it would be a walk requiring leaning into the wind for the most part. Thinking, with this wind, I likely would be the only thing out in the field this morning but at least the walk back should literally be a breeze!
Relieved to reach my look out spot, I then glass the farm site and slough bottoms a half mile to the north.
Out in the middle of the largest slough stands a lone coyote which is very encouraging. Fifteen minutes later, the encouragement level somewhat dwindled as that coyote never ventured too far away.
I keep glassing the fields and sloughs but nothing else seemed to be out and about. With the sudden arrival of a rain shower, I was contemplating what to do next but luck was on my side as I see a coyote to my left. This coyote must have come out of the bush and now traveling north. I barked and howled but I don’t think it could hear me so I waited in hopes it would stop. Thankfully the coyote does stop and presents me with a “into the wind” broadside shot.
The bullet flies true and drops coyote # 50 for the season. Forgot to range the shot but thinking around 160 yards.
The somewhat muffled sounding shot did kick the first coyote I seen plus one other from the slough and they both headed to the north. Seeing three coyotes on a day that I wasn’t sure about seeing any, was a bit of a surprise.

Great looking coyote. Congrats. It's been -10 to- 15 degrees below zero with wind chill around -20. And next week even worst, but next weekend looks good. Again congrats for going out and beating the elements.

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat looking coyote. Congrats. It's been -10 to- 15 degrees below zero with wind chill around -20. And next week even worst, but next weekend looks good. Again congrats for going out and beating the elements.
I hope your current cold snap will make for responsive coyotes come next weekend.
Originally Posted By: fratriThat sure is a nice looking coyote.... Congrats on the outing
One of the better coyotes I have shot this year!
Originally Posted By: LeaddogGood read and congrats on your 50th
Thanks Leaddog, now to set the goal at 55
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: .204Danright on! finally get one on the fleshing beam.
Good ones have been far and few between lately. Nice to bring one home!

Originally Posted By: Displayed Name Nice job!
Thank you
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bob_AtlWTG, staying on task despite the nasty weather.. nice yote too..
I really debated about going out, glad I did now!

Nice looking coyote! Congrats on #50, quite an accomplishment. Waiting for this weekend to come and get past the -30F air temp and -55F wind chills that will keep me indoors. Hopefully it will keep the coyotes hunkered down and looking for a quick meal come the first chance at better weather.

Originally Posted By: mantorvilleyoteNice looking coyote! Congrats on #50, quite an accomplishment. Waiting for this weekend to come and get past the -30F air temp and -55F wind chills that will keep me indoors. Hopefully it will keep the coyotes hunkered down and looking for a quick meal come the first chance at better weather.
It's once again above the freezing mark here but by the weekend dropping down to the -30's. Such a yo-yo weather pattern this winter, it's making for tough hunting & calling.

Back