What's the next move?

WSpencer

I'm pretty new to predator hunting but have been trying to get out as much as possible in the past couple months. I'm in Virginia. I have called in a couple red foxes so far but no coyotes. I went out last night and started with some distress sounds. I went through several different sounds over 35 minutes or so with no response. Next I went to platinum grey fox for a few minutes. Nothing. I was going to end the stand with a few coyote vocals. I played a couple long deep female howls followed closely by a couple long male howls. A pack of coyotes lit up about 250 yds or so to my 10oclock. They howled and yipped for a few minutes and got quiet. Sounded like at least 4 or 5 of them. I howled some more with no response then played coyote pup distress. Long story short, over the next 20 min. I howled again and got them to respond but never saw anything. Is there anything you think I could have done to get them to move or just chalk it up as they weren't interested in coming in? Thanks for your help

In my experience, calling packs of coyotes like that here in PA is tough, much tougher than pulling in a transient just wondering around. Some people say quiet mouse squeaks works for them, others say TT's Den Raid. Absolutely nothing has worked for me. I've moved closer, got in the woods with them, tried the weirdest calls available to me. Nothing. I've even tried not calling them for 8 months...nothing.

Some hunters I talk to feel our lights are spooking them. If I had to guess, there's a good chance those coyotes were there the whole time, listening to your entire call sequence.

You may have much better luck in the spring/summer with rabbit distress during day light hours. The coyotes are much bolder around here during that time, trying to find as much food as possible. Farmers have actually taken cell phone pics of them in the middle of their fields while they're bailing hay.

Personally, I've never found anything to work on an educated resident pack. They become call shy real quick, and usually don't forget, and approach with extreme caution, if at all.

Try the coyote vocals first then silence. Scrap the prey distress sounds.

Another tactic if you know they're there is try pup distress right off the bat and let it run. This sometimes invokes a different response and they throw caution to the wind, they'll just come barreling in toward the call.

Sometimes less is more. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: LARUEminatiTry the coyote vocals first then silence. Scrap the prey distress sounds.

Another tactic if you know they're there is try pup distress right off the bat and let it run. This sometimes invokes a different response and they throw caution to the wind, they'll just come barreling in toward the call.

Sometimes less is more. Good luck.

I have thought about trying this, but never did it.

I'm about to start setting up with the wind at my back, and getting in a position where I can see for 200 yards or more at night, and see if I can't entice them to taste the wind more.

Originally Posted By: Flesh Eater
I'm about to start setting up with the wind at my back, and getting in a position where I can see for 200 yards or more at night, and see if I can't entice them to taste the wind more.

let us know how that works out for ya. seriously, i would like to know.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater

I have seen coyotes hit my scent cone at 500+ yards!!!!

200 yards will be nothing, you won’t even see them hauling azz!

Let us know how your idea works out!

Originally Posted By: Mr. PoppadopalisOriginally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: Flesh Eater

I have seen coyotes hit my scent cone at 500+ yards!!!!

200 yards will be nothing, you won’t even see them hauling azz!

Let us know how your idea works out!

I think these resident, educated coyotes are hanging up because they can’t even try to get down wind in some spots. So, instead of seeing what’s calling, they just stay in the woods and howl. I swear they don’t even try to answer or come to calls during the day, but the minite night falls they come almost close enough and challenge or threat howl.

I have no idea how else to kill them other than get a pack of hounds and run them down. My idea is to get pretty close to the woods or sit on a hill and watch the other side and call. I’m hoping they’ll be enticed enough to maybe try and get around me and I can shoot them. Might not work, but whatever.

Last edited:
I have a plan to kill at least one next year. Haha! However, it requires clearing a lot of small trees and brush from my property and picking them off when they come to the property line and howl in the woods at night. I’ll be sitting in a tree stand.

Why not try setting your call out in the field and hiding in the woods just before dark? If you play the wind right when they howl you might be close enough for a shot.

Originally Posted By: duckstopperWhy not try setting your call out in the field and hiding in the woods just before dark? If you play the wind right when they howl you might be close enough for a shot.

Unless your on a property where the landowner has actually cleared all the small trees and brush, you can't see in the woods at night. We have a lot of young woods here, so there are a lot of shooting obstacles. The obstacles become reflectors for red lights at night and make it impossible to positively ID an animal. Hence why I plan on clearing shooting lanes on MY property for hunting at night.

Also, I only have hand calls...

Back