First Timer Mistakes?

SouthPaw0180

Hello Everyone! First time posting. I've wanted to get in to coyote/fox hunting for a while, and I finally decided this year Santa was going to bring me an ecaller and some other supplies. I've been out a dozen or so times day and night with absolutely no action. I don't know anyone in my area that does this sort of hunting, so I'm learning by reading books and this forum and trying to spend as much time as I can in the woods. By learning this way, I'm not sure what I'm doing right or wrong. My question is what does everyone think are a first timers biggest mistakes?

Trying to call a coyote in an area that has no coyotes.

Having snow on the ground sure helps to eliminate some of the spots you might be trying to call.

I have scouted after fresh snow, there are definitely coyotes in the area. What solidified the decision to start hunting them was back during deer season in December... I was seeing more coyote tracks than deer tracks.

They probably do not stay in one area for long, depending on food supply, & other things. Some groups may have as much as 25 square mile range,(according to experts). So you must be there when they are there to be successful. Example: If they were confirmed to be there Jan 1 & you did not find them Jan 2 try again Jan 20 to Jan 30. you may find them between 20th & 30th.

Hang in there, keep trying and read the link GC mentioned.

And just so you know. Al Morris of FoxPro fame, who always says "a coyote is a coyote, no matter where they are located" Also claims that PA is the tough state he has ever hunted coyotes in. Good luck

Originally Posted By: old catThey probably do not stay in one area for long, depending on food supply, & other things. Some groups may have as much as 25 square mile range,(according to experts). So you must be there when they are there to be successful. Example: If they were confirmed to be there Jan 1 & you did not find them Jan 2 try again Jan 20 to Jan 30. you may find them between 20th & 30th.

Holy cow, for some reason I thought it was 10 sq. miles. 25 sq. miles puts a lot more into perspective for a pack.

Hunting PA, successfully, requires a TON of properties. The most successful caller I know, who has pics to back it up, has access to 400+ farms in 4 counties or more...he's killed 16 this season.

Last season I had very little success. This year it's a completely different story. Now, I'm calling a lot more fox in than coyotes, but I'm okay with that.

Tips:

Get lots of land access
Learn to run a hand call correctly
Sneak in and out of your spots
Watch the wind
Hunt the storm fronts, and right after; if you're not miserable, it's probably going to be a tough call (PA has had awful weather this season, so it's been easy)
THINK about your setups and approaches more than your calling
Don't miss

All I got. Good luck!

Last edited:
Not being in the right location. Any coyote that survived deer season, will be in or very close to security cover during daylight. Target the thickest areas in your area and that’s the most likely spots that will hold them. Don’t look for the 300yd shot

Second would probably be, not setting up so that you can see and shoot a coyote moving to the downwind. Lots beginners think wind in face is best at all times... most the times, it’s probably not the best choice.

Last, would probably be overcalling areas.. best to move around a bit and try different spots.

Originally Posted By: PrusonHang in there, keep trying and read the link GC mentioned.

And just so you know. Al Morris of FoxPro fame, who always says "a coyote is a coyote, no matter where they are located" Also claims that PA is the tough state he has ever hunted coyotes in. Good luck

YES, No one ever does coyote shows in the EAST. FOX yes COYOTES no.

Originally Posted By: swampwalker

Last, would probably be overcalling areas.. best to move around a bit and try different spots.

How long do you wait to go back and call an area? Does the length of time differ if you harvest an animal there or not?

Usually, if i kill something in an area I’ll keep going back. Other than that I try to hit an area once or twice in season. I’d rather hunt a fresh unknown area, than a “good” area that I’ve called already

Originally Posted By: SouthPaw0180Hello Everyone! First time posting. I've wanted to get in to coyote/fox hunting for a while, and I finally decided this year Santa was going to bring me an ecaller and some other supplies. I've been out a dozen or so times day and night with absolutely no action. I don't know anyone in my area that does this sort of hunting, so I'm learning by reading books and this forum and trying to spend as much time as I can in the woods. By learning this way, I'm not sure what I'm doing right or wrong. My question is what does everyone think are a first timers biggest mistakes?

I think that one mistake that is very common to new callers is not setting your stands up correctly to give you a shot. I think that a lot of new guys are calling in a lot more than they actually see.

I also think that guys are calling stands that "look" good to them but do not look good to coyotes.

Coyotes seem to be pattern oriented. The pattern shifts during different parts of the year. Different call sequences, different stands set up, and when the patterns shift a lot of new guys are hesitant to go away from what had been working.

Originally Posted By: SouthPaw0180Originally Posted By: swampwalker

How long do you wait to go back and call an area? Does the length of time differ if you harvest an animal there or not?

I would agree with overcalling areas. Sure, you can hit a spot a few times a season and probably pull coyotes every time. But any more than that and you are going to start drawing blanks. It's hard to stay out of areas that you know have produced. But don't be afraid to roam. Take a look at successful stands and try to find areas that have similar features and see if they hold coyotes.

We also will try carpet bombing. I will start working an area and do a stand every mile, no matter what it looks like. I used to hunt with a guy that would pass on areas that didn't "look good" to him. When I started carpet bombing, I pulled coyotes out of some lame looking areas.

Coyotes can wander far and wide. Look at biologist reports and studies done by game and fish departments. Resident coyotes have a smaller range but a more regular schedule whereas transient coyotes looking for a home range can range 25-50 miles in a single night and keep moving on until they establish a territory. So if you are bombing an area chances are you are going to end up crossing paths with them at some point.

But you have to stay at it. There really is no magic elixir, book or video that is going to magically get you calling coyotes everytime. Don't fall victim to buyer-itis and think that you need to buy a bunch of equipment to solve your problem either. I have a 3 strikes rule. Call 3 stands the same way. if no coyotes show up, change something. But only one thing. It might be using a different call in your sequence, different volume, different set up, but try something. Then call 3 more stands. No takers, change something else. Eventually a coyote will show up. Make note of what calls you used, how long into the stand the coyote showed up, what was it's interest level, how did it approach. Try that same kind of stand again. Try to catch onto the pattern.

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerNot being in the right location. Any coyote that survived deer season, will be in or very close to security cover during daylight. Target the thickest areas in your area and that’s the most likely spots that will hold them. Don’t look for the 300yd shot

Second would probably be, not setting up so that you can see and shoot a coyote moving to the downwind. Lots beginners think wind in face is best at all times... most the times, it’s probably not the best choice.

The wind is true. It’s tricky in a lot of parts of PA, but just because a coyote can seemingly smell for miles doesn’t mean they do so reaponding to a call. They almost seem to come in for a glimpse, then head down wind.

I try to set up to make them a little more comfortable trying to wind me. The key is stopping them before they get a whiff.

I agree. The best sets are where the coyote has cover and the wind blowing just off that cover, to where they have to expose themselves to get to it. It’s walking a fine line though, since a wind shift can end the hunt. Straight wind in face can be good, if the coyote can stay in cover all the way to where he thinks he’ll be able to see what’s going on, but also make a quick escape if things go sideways on them. Situation like this can be good when you have open ground or some kind of terrain block on the side to keep them from attempting to Swingi wide around you.... Really, the key is to make a compromise between what you want and what the coyotes want. It all starts though, with knowing where your coyotes are likely to be.

Originally Posted By: SnowmanMo
We also will try carpet bombing. I will start working an area and do a stand every mile, no matter what it looks like. I used to hunt with a guy that would pass on areas that didn't "look good" to him. When I started carpet bombing, I pulled coyotes out of some lame looking areas.

Interesting, that sounds like me
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: swampwalkerI agree. The best sets are where the coyote has cover and the wind blowing just off that cover, to where they have to expose themselves to get to it. It’s walking a fine line though, since a wind shift can end the hunt. Straight wind in face can be good, if the coyote can stay in cover all the way to where he thinks he’ll be able to see what’s going on, but also make a quick escape if things go sideways on them. Situation like this can be good when you have open ground or some kind of terrain block on the side to keep them from attempting to Swingi wide around you.... Really, the key is to make a compromise between what you want and what the coyotes want. It all starts though, with knowing where your coyotes are likely to be.

I’ve been finding the coyotes around me like thick brushy, timbered areas where lots of deer and rabbits stay. Getting in there in the day is usually impossible, but they’ll come out at night. I’ve also found they like strip mines and railroads.

However, an hour east I’m catching tracks running creeks in deep valleys in open woods.

Like stated above know where your coyotes are. But, study where they’ve been more than anything. That’s hard evidence of where they’ll travel.

This has all been great information. Its definitely got me doing a lot of thinking. I'll be going out tonight again and hopefully posting my first harvest pictures soon!

I have several years of experience hunting predators, but I'm nobody's expert. One thing I would recommend is be aware of the type of area you are approaching.
I have one field that I call on a fairly regular basis that has a county gravel road passing about 250 yards from it, with quite a few vehicles travelling it most of the day and night. I park on that road, walk to the fence, set up and call. I can and have had pretty good success there.
On the other hand, if I drive into an area that doesn't normally have vehicles in and out of it, I have wasted my time. The sound of a vehicle coming into an area where the critters are not used to it just puts them on red alert. If calling that type of area, I'll leave the vehicle at least a 1/4 mile from where I plan to set up, sometimes even a bit farther away.

Approaching in the vehicle is the first step, then make your approach to the set up site stealthy also. Even if your calling sounds are great, but you've told them you are coming, your success rate probably won't be good.

Trial and error seem to be the best teachers.

Originally Posted By: boogercountyI have several years of experience hunting predators, but I'm nobody's expert. One thing I would recommend is be aware of the type of area you are approaching.
I have one field that I call on a fairly regular basis that has a county gravel road passing about 250 yards from it, with quite a few vehicles travelling it most of the day and night. I park on that road, walk to the fence, set up and call. I can and have had pretty good success there.
On the other hand, if I drive into an area that doesn't normally have vehicles in and out of it, I have wasted my time. The sound of a vehicle coming into an area where the critters are not used to it just puts them on red alert. If calling that type of area, I'll leave the vehicle at least a 1/4 mile from where I plan to set up, sometimes even a bit farther away.

Approaching in the vehicle is the first step, then make your approach to the set up site stealthy also. Even if your calling sounds are great, but you've told them you are coming, your success rate probably won't be good.

Trial and error seem to be the best teachers.

I’ve thought about the vehicle sound a lot. I kind of want to put an even quieter exhaust system on my truck and add a red light to the mirror for approaching spots on desolate back roads.

Hard to research how to make a truck quieter since most people want them loud.

Just a thought. Vehicle noise or you out walking in leaves or crunchy frozen ground or crunchy snow. Hardly ever more than 100yards from Polaris Ranger, most of the time way,way less.

Back